Towing 17' boat with mini van??

Drowned Rat

Captain
Hi guys. I need to get a bigger vehicle to haul the family around in. Will a 3.8l V-6 in a Dodge Grand Caravan pull my 17' Sea Ray? Safely? Does anyone have any idea how much a 17' boat like this might weigh? And, do I need to install any kind of tranny cooler on the vehicle? Thanks so much for your help.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Towing 17' boat with mini van??

Your first question should be, "What is the tow rating of this Dodge minivan, as equipped?" Ask your friendly neighborhood Dodge Boy, DR. Differences in equipment make a LOT of difference. Which tranny?, What final drive ratio? Tranny cooler? Tow package? ETC?

Your second question: Look up your boat on NADAguides. It will give you the boat weight (not including any outboard, fuel, batteries, electronics, toys or coolers, etc). Then add approximate weights of the add-ons and a few hundred pounds for the trailer.

If the answer to number two is more than 70% of the answer to number one the answer to your main question is no. Get a stronger, RWD or 4X4 vehicle.

My "feel" is that the Grand Caravan is no tow vehicle for anything over about 2,000lb. That's just a feel, mind you. You need to do the research.

Drowned Rat

Captain

Good points JB. I do know the capacity of the minivan, it's 3800 lbs, but I have no idea how much the boat weighs. I'll check the NADA guide like you suggest. The other unknown was the trailer, you say a few hundred pounds?? I know I need to just weigh it, I was just trying to get an idea. Thanks for your help.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I believe that the 3.8 Grand Caravan is good for 2,000 lb
Heres a comparison for you. I tow a similar sized Doral that weighs in at 1,000 lb with a 140hp Johnson that weighs 350 lb, a trailer that weighs in at a mite under 300 lb plus about 200 lb of "other" essentials. Total 1,850 lb.
I tow it with a Ford Windstar 3.8 litre and it does a great job. Cruise at about 60 mph and gentle on the acceleration whenever possible. Mind you here in southwest Ontario it sure is pretty flat and I sure wouldn't take it through any mountain ranges with this set up !!
If the Caravan is comparable to this then you will probably be O.K....but there are certainly much more suitable towing vehicles out there as JB says.

Drowned Rat

Captain

Thanks Ken. The Dodge does have a 3800lb. capacity if you get the tow prep package (not sure what this includes). This is the reason we're looking at this vehicle. It sounds as if we have similar set ups, so maybe it'll do okay. We have mountains here, but nothing all that big, and no really long up-hill climbs. I know it's not ideal, but it's really the only thing that will work for the money.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Full of fuel, toys, gear and stuff you will be around 3000 pounds, and a fair bit more if the boat is an I/O. While the engine may be up to the task, Chrysler tranny's are not known for their ability to take much abuse, especially the front drivers. While these vehicles make excellent people movers, they are not the best tow vehicles. That said, it depends on how far and how often, and how fast you tow the boat. If this is short trips, less than freeway speeds and no mountain or extremely hilly terrain, it will probably do the job just fine. Front drive on slippery ramps with that load will likely create some traction problems on steep, slippery ramps.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Dodge Caravan transmissions have trouble without towing let alone towing.

I would suggest something along an SUV built on a truck chassis.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

put brakes on the trailer,

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Drowned said:
Thanks Ken. The Dodge does have a 3800lb. capacity if you get the tow prep package (not sure what this includes). This is the reason we're looking at this vehicle. It sounds as if we have similar set ups, so maybe it'll do okay. We have mountains here, but nothing all that big, and no really long up-hill climbs. I know it's not ideal, but it's really the only thing that will work for the money.
Are you looking at buying new ?? because to add all the goodies you need for towing afterwards will be very expensive if not already fitted.
We use a lot of Dodge Caravans in our company fleet but they are all the 3.3 litre and we are usually changing transmissions or trading in at about 120,000 km just under normal wear and tear. The windstars / freestars in the fleet are usually traded at 160,000 km and have generally had routine maintenance only.
G.M. Astro or Safari has rear wheel drive, much better towing capacity and all the space you need. The downside to these is the space and legroom in the front seats especially on a longer journey.
There is only going to be the Caravan available soon as all the other players are getting out of the minivan business.

Bondo

Staff member

I don't know how Steep your boat launches are,.....
But,....
I've watched several Front wheel drive mini-vans Smoking their tires to get Up the ramp when loading out......

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The Chevy/GMC Astro/Safari vans are available with all wheel drive as well. I wish they still made them as I would have another one. My '92 had 150,000 miles on it and was a great winter vehicle as well as a tow vehicle. Not as plush as the current crop of mini's but a great work horse and very respectable mileage considering this vehicle is like pushing a barn door through the wind. There are lots of them on used car lots but most will have a ton of miles on them.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I had the same thing with the Aerostar. I had a 93 extended with the 4.0 litre V6 and the towing package. Great for towing. Used to tow a 24ft older house trailer with it and other than the 10 mpg (highway) it pulled it all over the place with no problems. Shame they do not make them anymore as well. That is why I now drive a Windstar.

demsvmejm

Master Chief Petty Officer

Good advise from all. I would be concerned with a front driver on a boat ramp. The newer Chrysler minivans didn't seem to have as many tranny problems as pre-2000, but no guarantees. If you are buying used there are certainly better towing choices like the Astro/Safari.

Regardless of what you buy if you are going to tow very often or very far you absolutely need a trans oil cooler. And a big one. One point to note however is that some transmissions/transaxles have fluid temp sensors that the PCM uses to control shifting and aftermarket oil coolers cool too much. That is why I always install mine on the output side of the trans. Out of the trans, into the aux cooler, out of the aux cooler into the radiator cooler and then back to the trans. Popular Mechanics had an article about this a few years back. The thought is the aux cooler will take out the heat, and in cold weather the radiator will warm th efluid back to operating temp sothe trans/PCM is happy. In hot weather the aux cooler cools and then the radiator cools a little bit more. This is how I have my '95 Blazer plumbed. I have 224,000 on the clock, have towed 3000# every summer weekend for three years and still no problems. She's getting tired, but the trans still shifts fine. Goo dluck witgh your quest. Just remember, no matter how bad you want to tow, if it's not safe it's not worth it. Your family's safety is more important that pushing it.

tommays

Admiral

I have a 4.3 Silverado with a 5000# rateing and an Equniox which has a 3500# tow rateing

Only god knows how they figure the Equniox could ever tow 3500#

Its a great small SUV but i cant see 3500# waging its tail :(

Tommays

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Hey JB! Back a couple of threads you said to tow no more than 70% of max capacity of the vehicle. Is this an opinion or is there some formula? Or is it just a generally accepted value? Does 70% include or exclude regular load of vehicle? Curious as to reason -- enlighten some of us out there.

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

demsvmejm said:
... One point to note however is that some transmissions/transaxles have fluid temp sensors that the PCM uses to control shifting and aftermarket oil coolers cool too much. That is why I always install mine on the output side of the trans. Out of the trans, into the aux cooler, out of the aux cooler into the radiator cooler and then back to the trans. Popular Mechanics had an article about this a few years back. The thought is the aux cooler will take out the heat, and in cold weather the radiator will warm th efluid back to operating temp sothe trans/PCM is happy. In hot weather the aux cooler cools and then the radiator cools a little bit more. This is how I have my '95 Blazer plumbed...

Most interesting! I've never heard of this setup but it does make sense. A friend of mine is an engineer who spent years in the auto industry designing oil coolers. He once made a throwaway comment that most people install poor quality coolers in the wrong loctation, thus creating the potential for more problems than they prevent. I'm gonna ask him if this is what he meant.

BTW - he did a lot of testing on Chrysler minivans. They would go down to Death Valley in August, instrument the vehicle to within and inch of its life, connect a U-haul trailer with 10,000 lbs of sand on board :^ find a long, long hill and stand on the gas til something bad happened. The idea being to break it good then go back and analyze the data from the sensors in order to optimize cooler design. He said his foot used to get real tired from holding it to the floor for extended periods. He couldn't use the cruise control because the engine produced no appreciable vacuum at WOT under those conditions.

Some guys have all the fun...

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

scoutabout said:
demsvmejm said:
... One point to note however is that some transmissions/transaxles have fluid temp sensors that the PCM uses to control shifting and aftermarket oil coolers cool too much. That is why I always install mine on the output side of the trans. Out of the trans, into the aux cooler, out of the aux cooler into the radiator cooler and then back to the trans. Popular Mechanics had an article about this a few years back. The thought is the aux cooler will take out the heat, and in cold weather the radiator will warm th efluid back to operating temp sothe trans/PCM is happy. In hot weather the aux cooler cools and then the radiator cools a little bit more. This is how I have my '95 Blazer plumbed...

Most interesting! I've never heard of this setup but it does make sense. A friend of mine is an engineer who spent years in the auto industry designing oil coolers. He once made a throwaway comment that most people install poor quality coolers in the wrong loctation, thus creating the potential for more problems than they prevent. I'm gonna ask him if this is what he meant.

BTW - he did a lot of testing on Chrysler minivans. They would go down to Death Valley in August, instrument the vehicle to within and inch of its life, connect a U-haul trailer with 10,000 lbs of sand on board :^ find a long, long hill and stand on the gas til something bad happened. The idea being to break it good then go back and analyze the data from the sensors in order to optimize cooler design. He said his foot used to get real tired from holding it to the floor for extended periods. He couldn't use the cruise control because the engine produced no appreciable vacuum at WOT under those conditions.

Some guys have all the fun...
Now that sounds like a real fun job !

Isle of Fun

Cadet

Last summer I saw a Caravan pulling what looked like a 28' cabin cruiser. Looked like an ant hauling an apple. I couldn't believe it.:^

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Isle said:
Last summer I saw a Caravan pulling what looked like a 28' cabin cruiser. Looked like an ant hauling an apple. I couldn't believe it.:^
People sure overtax their vehicles at times. I don't think that some of them realise how dangerous it can be.