Total Lunar Eclipse Wed. Night

LadyFish

Admiral
Total Lunar Eclipse Wed. Night

Earthlings are about to be treated to a total lunar eclipse. Between 10:23 and 11:45 pm EDT, the moon will resemble a glowing pumpkin. <br />
lunareclipse135.jpg
<br /><br />The last chance to see a total lunar eclipse for more than two years comes Wednesday evening for most residents of North America and Western Europe.<br /><br />The event -- which might be televised during World Series Game 4 -- will wrap up a series of four total lunar eclipses in the past 18 months. But there won't be another one for more than two years, on March 3, 2007.<br /><br />What causes an eclipse, and why do they occur on an irregular schedule?<br /><br />Unpredictability is at the heart of eclipse lore. For the ancients, a lunar eclipse was a haunting event. Some believed a dragon of the sky was eating the Moon, flooding it with blood before consuming it entirely. Of course it always came back, and that fueled more speculation.<br /><br />The cause of lunar eclipses is simple: Earth gets in the way.<br /><br />The Moon is a shiny beacon because it reflects sunlight. The Moon makes no light of its own. Earth always casts a shadow into space, and every now and then everything aligns just right so that the shadow falls on the Moon.<br /><br />Lunar eclipses can only occur at Full Moon, that time each month when the Moon is directly opposite the Earth in relation to the Sun. It's like you, representing the Earth, standing in front of a bright light and casting a shadow on a child.<br /><br />Below is a timeline, for Eastern Daylight Time. In the Central Time Zone, subtract one hour from these times; in the Mountain Time Zone, two hours, and for the Pacific Time Zone, three hours.<br /><br /> * 9:14 p.m.: Moon enters Earth’s dark umbral shadow<br /> * 10:23 p.m.: Totality begins<br /> * 11:04 p.m.: Mid-eclipse<br /> * 11:45 p.m.: Totality ends<br /> * 12:54 a.m. (Oct. 28): Moon leaves the umbra<br /><br />For Europe and Africa, the mid-point of this eclipse occurs roughly between midnight and dawn on the morning of Oct. 28 and as such the Moon will still be well placed in the western sky. At the moment of mid-totality (3:04 GMT), the Moon will stand directly overhead from a point in the Atlantic Ocean roughly several hundred miles to the northeast of the coast of Suriname.

sangerwaker

Commander
Re: Total Lunar Eclipse Wed. Night

I am hoping to see it tonight, but it's supposed to be very overcast all day. :( Hopefully the weather people are wrong, cuz their track record is so wonderful :rolleyes: .

ehenry

Commander

I guess the moon watchers among us will have something new to see then, huh?

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

sangerwaker - <br /><br />only job I know of that you can be wrong 99% of the time and still have a job in the morning..

spratt

Lieutenant

Well, Barlow, I do know of one other like that...being a hubby !!! Wifey ain't EVER worng, but hubby better be pree-pared to say I was Wrong!!! At the drop of a hat too!!! Maybe I should apply for weather man...they don't EVER have to admit they were/are wrong...hmmmmm...makes me shake my head in wonder...

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

"Philosophy 101: If a man speaks in the woods, and a woman is not there to hear him, is he still wrong?"<br /><br />Not unless you echo. :D

spratt

Lieutenant

Originally posted by spratt:<br /> makes me shake my head in wonder...
Hmmm, do I hear a rattle sound around here somewhere???

spratt

Lieutenant

LadyFish, I will have my GRANDdaughters outside tonite if it ain't rainin' here in Wa...when I got up to drive into work this AM, the FULL moon was glowing brightly in the sky (according to my GPS, it was teh sky) and so if it comes thru again tonite, we shall see it!!! And how fortunate we will be to see it here in teh GREAT Northwest!!! Most times we have to rely on ouor GPS to find the sky...so much rain, and so many slugs...and that Scotchbroom brush...

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

it's the "full" moon that gets MY in trouble... :p

spratt

Lieutenant

LOL @ MY...

sangerwaker

Commander

EXACTLY Barlow. If I was wrong as often as our local weather so called gurus, I'd be fired in a heartbeat!

rwise

Captain

hoping to see it here, but, they say rain for tonight.

spratt

Lieutenant

I was born adn raised up in Georgia...the weather reporter would always say "partly cloudy", but here in teh Northwest, they say "Partly sunny"...he he, no wonder either, since we only get to see it for about 90 days a year...although this has been a wunnerful wunnerful summer...lasted about 20 days longer than nermal...I do love it here though!!!

LadyFish

Admiral

^BUMP

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Didn't know you was into astronomy LF. I have a bunch of programs if you're that interested. Moon position calcultors, Star charts. What would you like? They're shareware and freeware so we wouldn't be violating any rules. :) <br /><br />Chris..............<br />mahi01(remove for antispam)@iinet.net.au

fatpratt1996

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is it me or would any of y'all rather be looking at that from the water. It would kind of add to it.

cbnoodles

Chief Petty Officer

We have a partly cloudy sky tonight. I'm hoping it's clear enough to see the eclipse. I always enjoy anything that is a little different or breaks up the daily routine.

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

It's gonna be cloudy up here.<br />Someone take pictures and post them.<br />I would ask to have them e-mailed to me, but would probably get lambasted for asking for "full moon" photos.<br />Although, technically it wouldn't be a "full moon" because it would be covered....covered by a shadow, but still covered... :) <br /><br />AK Chappy

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Got out and had a peek... T'was pretty cool.... :)

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

The clouds parted just enough to catch it. Awesome! Something like that always makes me feel kinda good and strange at the same time. Like there is a great big world out there and I'm just a tiny speck. Cool!!!<br />Bassy