Total Catastrophie HELP

jondavies

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Total Catastrophie HELP

I would be so so scared if this would happen to me at sea. I honeslty wonder if people will really come and tow you in if this happens and engine wont start? I also noticed yesterday there was a lot of water on the gas tank. I am now wondering if to cover the gas tank to avoid this? the lake was not rough and there was still a lot of water in the boat. Still trying to figure out how this happened.

As NobrainsSD mentioned, you need to prepare for the worst as a way to put your mind at rest so you can enjoy the boat.

I would strongly recommend a VHF radio for emergency use, but if you don't want to risk a fine for having one without a permit, at least get some flares to signal distress. Also carry paddles and a good anchor with 10 feet of chain and *at least* 100 feet of line. I would consider that bare minimum safety gear for peace of mind.

Boating is no fun if you're constantly worried about getting back safely.

zodiac340m

Petty Officer 1st Class

You would be less intimidated and much more secure if you prepare for the outboard to not run at some point. Buy a couple of rafting paddles! I don't go anywhere without them. Two people can move the boat well. If you are traveling into waters the have a strong current or flow into more hazardous bodies of water an anchor with sufficient scope is not an accessory, it is a basic safety requirement.

I feel very confident when I boat in remote and hazardous conditions because I am prepared. Even a radio and relatively nearby assistance does not mean that you should not be prepared for self rescue. Your safety and happiness should not rely entirely on having your outboard run on demand.

You are so right. I have to get better paddles, the ones that came with the zodiac are plastic and I dont see them being very strong. I may do this ONCE i know other boaters are around and so I will try this and pretend to be paddling or something. I have two anchors. one that has a 5 meter very very heavy chain and professionally rigged from the dealer and a nice long 30 meters rope attached to the chain on a 4 kg anchor. It saved me the other day from drifting into the main rhine.

zodiac340m

Petty Officer 1st Class

Probably you weren't following correct starting procedures, asume seeing the older man starting procedure, you now know how to start it right, don't you ? :D Attending a summer boating course would be the correct way to go, include hubby!!

Happy Boating

Yes,I am sure I can remember now how to get the engine started. But i cant pull the rope its TOOO hard for my winney skinny arms:rolleyes:. I just dont haev that manpower to pull that cord. I will NEVER go oout until the boat and engine has warmed up a good five mins, never again.

But Sea rider, tell me something, how to you get inside a boat in thigh deep water once the engine is running and one is on board and the other is still not int he boat? I almost broke my neck on Sunday as he pulled me in like a dead dolphin:eek: is there some trick to getting into these boats easily from a slip ramp in thigh deep water?

also, by using a foldable ladder attached to the boat, can my husbands weight when boarding the boat from the sea if he jumps in to swim cause the boat to CAPSIZE? He is like 110kg:mad:

zodiac340m

Petty Officer 1st Class

As NobrainsSD mentioned, you need to prepare for the worst as a way to put your mind at rest so you can enjoy the boat.

I would strongly recommend a VHF radio for emergency use, but if you don't want to risk a fine for having one without a permit, at least get some flares to signal distress. Also carry paddles and a good anchor with 10 feet of chain and *at least* 100 feet of line. I would consider that bare minimum safety gear for peace of mind.

Boating is no fun if you're constantly worried about getting back safely.

I have a 100 feel of line and a 5 meter about 18 feet of chain, i have two anchors actually and will take BOTH of them. I have all the safety stuff and more as that is required in France. I have life ring, life jackets fire extinguisher, all around white lifht, osfas bailer, anchors, foot pump, three extra ropes medical kit, signal horn, flares, toch light, paddles, boat hook and and and. Lord only knows where all that will fit in a given outting but the french WANTS to see it on board. Not to mention my fishing gear jeezeeeee

Has anyone put up a bimini on a zodiac inflatable or similar inflatable? I am confused as to how to put it up as I have no instructions and dealer said I dont need them. Gruhhhh

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Zodie, some issues.

Was reading the starting procedure for your engine, it's weird, does not mention anything if you have to place the throttle grip to a starting position matching marks, as most other brands need to be placed. There is a friction screw located in mid tail to make throttle arm turn softer, turn screw CCW to soft friction, must feel a slight resistance, no good to be totally free, if tiller is unattended can lose engine control at wot.

Sorry have no experience on rivers whatsoever, but you could let hubby grab sib by front d'ring against current paralell to river shore and deep enough for tail to be submerged, start the engine, 3 minutes is fufficient warm up time, let hubby in and out you go. A ladder is to bulky for such lenght sib, you already have lot's of things inside. Original paddles works fine, won't make sib plane, but will take you to shore in an emergency. Definitely river is much different that sea or lake behaviour. You can pull rope start with 2 hands, just pull vigorously or let hubby do that hard work.

The easiest to place/secure a bimini is on any inflatable that has vertical ropetie, can rest rolled bimini on alum tubes at rear engine when not in use, probably expensive, a must have if boating all day long in plain summer.

Something like this : http://www.pbase.com/locozodiac/image/109754521

Happy Boating

jondavies

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Reading these threads is like watching a slow-motion train wreck. Normally, I'm all for using common sense and learning as you go, but in this case I think you need to get some professional boating instruction or at least spend some time on the water with someone who has plenty of experience so you can learn some basic seamanship skills.

You say that you spent a lot of time around boats when you were younger. Were you actually doing the work of helping to run the boat or sitting on the back deck drinking pina coladas?

Sorry to be a little harsh but I'd hate for things to something else to go wrong and you not know how to handle the situation.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Normally, I'm all for using common sense and learning as you go, but in this case I think you need to get some professional boating instruction or at least spend some time on the water with someone who has plenty of experience so you can learn some basic seamanship skills.

Totally in agreement with you, it's such a pity that all recommendations have gone so wrong with Zodiac 340 and hubby, the sib purchase itself, engine trouble, she's probably the member that has received the most wonderful help on this forum for first maiden triumph voyage without success. Go for a full boating course, we wouldn't like to read that she was found drifting in middle Europe :D

Happy Boating

zodiac340m

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well thanks to all of you wonderful men for all the good advice. Dont think your efforts are in vain. I have since enrolled in RYA start powerboating course. Have purchased the books and will study them. Once in France, we will seek out a skipper and either pay him to come on our boat and show us the dos and donts or we will take a course with him or her. We will also rent canoes or kyacks there and do a little bit of getting familiar with the water and currents, at least this will be from a reputable rental source who oversees the renters. I am not stupid to just go there and hurridly put this rubber duck in the water no no no. Did I sad no? I mean heck NO. If I still dont feel comfortable after the skipper shows us the dos and donts and or the rental of kyacks then I just wont put that little thing in the water. I haev also booked a sailing cruise with a replica 1814 sailing schooner vessel for an 8 hour open sea cruise. All this will help me decide. I have gotten super great advice and I intend to take ALL of it and not make stupid mistakes. If when I do decide or if I decide to put the duck in the water, I wont venture OUT of any port or bay. I may look like a retard puddling around anchored private vessels but oh well, better a fool then a deal fool right?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Zodie, keep us informed on your boating progress while in France...don't forget to include nice pics!!

Happy Boating

zodiac340m

Petty Officer 1st Class

Zodie, keep us informed on your boating progress while in France...don't forget to include nice pics!!

Happy Boating

I will have to save this site on email then once in france we will have to get to a cafe or a grocery that has free internet. Where wer are renting is in the BOONIES with no source of phone let alone internet. So it will be in town once or twice a week when we go to a nearby town and get net access. I may not be able to post pics as I will be on an iphone but will save them for when I return. If or when I do put boat in the water you can be sure I will update you guys.

Actually, when I sat in the boat last Sunday I realized HOW small a 340 actually is and how insignificant it may look in the open sea.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

For just 2 quite roomy, buy if you have it loaded with full gear & doggy, definitely will feel short once inside, that sib and engine is just for coastal waters recreation...

Happy Boating

zodiac340m

Petty Officer 1st Class

For just 2 quite roomy, buy if you have it loaded with full gear & doggy, definitely will feel short once inside, that sib and engine is just for coastal waters recreation...

Happy Boating

Yes I know. But once I put the seabags I can stash things away from the flooring and then maybe it will be more roomy. The dogs are so small they are the size of a small fender they are only 23cm long heehee.

I have a concern tho. why are outboard engines so HARD to pull and start? I cant even get it quarter way. I need to be able to pull that cord in case of an emergency. Is there some way to make that cord not so difficult? I think that is why it didnt start, Hubby didnt pull with all his might.

saltycat

Cadet

Yes I know. But once I put the seabags I can stash things away from the flooring and then maybe it will be more roomy. The dogs are so small they are the size of a small fender they are only 23cm long heehee.

I have a concern tho. why are outboard engines so HARD to pull and start? I cant even get it quarter way. I need to be able to pull that cord in case of an emergency. Is there some way to make that cord not so difficult? I think that is why it didn't start, Hubby didn't pull with all his might.
There is no other way you'll have to go to the gym to built some muscles or trade in this engine and get an electric starter one but you'll have to have a battery like in a regular car but I think you'll go for the first choice so hit the gym or put the engine on the doily and keep on puling. A simple suggestion I'm not sure it will work or not but you can give it a try so sit on your behind inside the boat make yourself comfortable put your feet against the transom on each side of the engine and pull let us know how it worked
Good luck

zodiac340m

Petty Officer 1st Class

There is no other way you'll have to go to the gym to built some muscles or trade in this engine and get an electric starter one but you'll have to have a battery like in a regular car but I think you'll go for the first choice so hit the gym or put the engine on the doily and keep on puling. A simple suggestion I'm not sure it will work or not but you can give it a try so sit on your behind inside the boat make yourself comfortable put your feet against the transom on each side of the engine and pull let us know how it worked
Good luck

LMAO at the last option. I do go to the gym 3 to 5 times a week and do have nice upper lady muscles. BUT the bliming thing is difficult. Tell me about the battery option is this SAFE and easy to do? Do you still have to pull once you have this option? I am afraid that if we break down on the water I cant help start it. Why is it so difficult? Are all outboards that difficult to start? How many times should I keep trying before I flood engine?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Zodie, you need to eat some spinach daily, that engine should be a breeze, open air valve from gas tank, prime bulb untill hard, pull choke , pull rope slightly untill system engages and feel slight resistance, pull hard, if engine doesn't start at max 3 pulls, close choke or engine might flood. Once started close choke, let engine warm al least 3 minutes at idle. Important : Check if engine's throttle grip must be placed at a starting position, manual does not mention, if needs and you are not doing so will prime less, make starting more difficult or take much longer.

You could turn that engine into a electric start, will need to buy a Honda 5 HP elecrtic starter kit and a batterry, a matter to check total cost + hand labor. If all starting procedures are performed right, any engine could start with only 25 cm rope pull or less. Need a vigorous short pull to produce a good spark to ignite primed fuel inside engine.

Happy Boating

saltycat

Cadet

Yes it should not be difficult but not many of us on this forum as I can see did not jump to help and give a solution regarding a 4 stroke rope straiting engine. As I seed before I have no experience with 4 stroke engines more Sea Rider as much as I know he has a Nissan 18 HP that I've been looking for so comparing a 2 stroke with a 4 stroke is a biiiiig difference in a 2 stroke when you pull the rope all that moves inside the engine is the flying wheel and pistons connected to the crankshaft but in a 4 stroke engine you have to move as I sed before but no body was listening the camshaft that controls the valves that have really hard to compress springs an so one but regarding an electric start is like in your car and a small motorcycle battery will do the job do some research it may be less expensive to trade in the engine you have for an electric one and as you sed you signed for all that classes it maybe good for you to get a bigger engine .

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Have started some small 4 strokes engines myself and definitely a 18 HP 2 strokes is way more heavy to rope start than a 5 HP 4 strokes, you are comparing 127 CC against 300 CC engines, it's not the more amount of pieces 4 strokes have internally. 4 strokes have a compensator system to relief the harder pull. It's just a matter to have all pre ignition process done right (tank, bulb, choque, etc) to have a near instant on with only 1-2 pulls. Most ladies with which have gone boating here, cannot start my 18 horse, so probably will drift too in middle Pacific if something happens to my hands.

Happy Boating

Handyman1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

hi starting a Honda 4 stroke is easy cold start make sure it is in neutral prime the bulb pull the choke give it a little gas and start when it starts up slowly push the choke beck 3-5 min later you can go when the motor is wormed up you just make sure it is in neutral give it a little gas and start ones it starts and runs don't choke it more it will flood Honda's are good motors and easy to start you just have to learn how not to worry and have fun on your trip in Europe

likalar

Petty Officer 1st Class

We just spent a couple weeks with our Honda 2006 4-stroke 20 hp rope start. It starts easily on the 1st or 2nd pull, but only when all the ducks are lined up in a row: Fuel bulb pumped until firm, pull open choke button, set throttle handle to "start/idle".... then, just 1 pull usually does it. BUT, if any step was deviated from, it takes several pulls, and leads to frustration, especially with several different people using the boat at different times. Our 20hp Yamaha, OTOH, is electric start, and is a breeze, no matter what the settings. My point is: Learn what makes the engine happy to start, and don't deviate.I suggest you get a friendly dealer to spend a half hour at his dunk tank to show you the ins and outs of starting your outboard. Hondas are great motors, and smooth sailing to you...

Larry