How long did you search for your perfect boat?

need2know

Cadet
Re: How long did you search for your perfect boat?

dont set a time or date you will know it when you see it

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

As Matt said there is no perfect boat. I have been boating a long time. I had very specific criteria that my next boat needed to meet. I refined the criteria and the models over about a six month period. I wound up buying a new boat. Is it perfect? No. I've had it for about 1 1/2 years now. It does exactly what I expected it to do, actually it exceeds my expectations. There would be no reason for me to ever sell this boat. Buy another one for other uses, YES. Sell this boat, NO.

Decide what you want the boat to do. That alone will eliminate a lot of boats. There is the new vs used debate. Buy something and see what your likes, dislikes, and needs are. Use that info when and if you buy your next boat.

reelfishin

Captain

As said above, there is no perfect boat, unless maybe your use of that boat is very limited. I've got 5 right now, and could see the need for a 6th if the right deal came along. I've actually been going the opposite way when it comes to boats, I've been downsizing rather than going bigger. I had up to a 42', the expense and ownership headaches associated with that one and any other boat too large to trailer soon got old.
The closest to the perfect boat you will ever find is one that does the job at hand, don't leak, and don't leave you stranded. Not having to own a special super heavy tow vehicle these days too is a big plus to me.

azlakes

Senior Chief Petty Officer

... the perfect boat belongs to the neighbor. u tag along for the day, help with some gas money, leave when finished.

ebry710

Ensign

The perfect boat to me is one I can change to meet my needs. My whaler exceeds my needs and I not done yet. I can fish, take my family out, pull a ski/tube, modify is and get complements on the dock and at the store.

wuttja

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The right boat for my family is very similar to your perfect boat specs. I went with the 21' bow rider with the 5.7L. It's a '97, but in excellent shape. I wouldn't be too focused on the model year because as it has been mentioned many times on this forum, a 20 year old boat could be in better shape than the 2 year old boat. It's all in how it was maintained and taken care of. It took us about 3 months of avid searching to find the right match for us.

Shizzy

Ensign

it sropped in to my lap.

I told a friend I was thinking about buying a boat so I could go fishing but didnt really put a whole lot of effort in to it. One day he calls me and tells me his next door neighbor put his little 14'er out for sale for a decent price. it was mine the next day.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

The boat I have now is something that I would have never been able to afford outright in great condition. It sat for about 5 years in the same spot and kept deteriorating. Each year I would make an offer equal to the shape the boat was in. Finally in March of 2001, I made an offer on the boat that was lower than what I had offered in the prior year. I told him that this will be the last time as I have my eyes on a friend of his boat. He grumbled that he is taking a big hit but he would call me later. He returned my call and towed the boat to my house.

Over the years I have done some major work on it. Now we have something for every weekend during the season. We love it and don't have any plans on looking for anything else.

Tabes117

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It was kind of like the story of little red riding hood. The 1st boat I owned was to small (20 foot bowrider) the second was to big (26 foot cruiser) The current boat just right (23 foot bowrider). Keep looking till you find the right one. Dont forget 2 footitish. Go bigger then you thinK.

rtpassini

Chief Petty Officer

i would never be able to afford my perfect boat.

i wasnt even looking to buy a boat at the time. just seeing what prices were for boats in the area for a little jon boat. then i found this one for sale for 350 bucks called him right away and bought it. havent put it in the water yet. hope the motor works! haha.

We just bought our fourth boat, 2008 Azure 278. Started looking last August. We tend to overshop most things, but make sure we know what we want and don't mind haggling with the salesman. Not sure I've ever had a bad time on a boat though. Even the worst of days on the boat was better than the best of days at work.

Wee Hooker

Chief Petty Officer

There are NO perfect boats. All boats have tradeoffs. It's why I usually own around 10 at any given time :)

TonyNoriega

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Over a year for me to acquire what I consider the perfect boat for me......and that was AFTER I had decided on what boat to buy. I first did a lot of research and decided on a certain brand, model and length and then started scouring the ads, and then one day there it was, at a very good price and in tremendous condition. I had pre-arranged financing, which came in helpful since there were a dozen or so other guys with cash in hand wanting to buy it. For me it was worth the effort of due diligence and I couldn't be happier. Good luck with your search!

Shizzy

Ensign

There are NO perfect boats. All boats have tradeoffs. It's why I usually own around 10 at any given time :)
I have told the O.L. this many times when she talks about "Us" getting a boat and I talk about "me" getting a boat. My perfect boat if for 99% fishing and her perfect boat goes fast, has a good radio and plenty of room to lay out in the sun.

reelfishin

Captain

I have told the O.L. this many times when she talks about "Us" getting a boat and I talk about "me" getting a boat. My perfect boat if for 99% fishing and her perfect boat goes fast, has a good radio and plenty of room to lay out in the sun.

You don't need a boat to lay out in the sun and listen to the radio.
My boat has no radio, (IE: no tunes playing) I do have a VHF and weather radio, and my cell phone. When I'm fishing I don't want to hear a thing about the bait, rough seas, or change the station. I left that problem two states away when I moved 9 years ago. There are fishing boats and pleasure boats, I own fishing boats. If it can't be used to catch fish, I have little interest in it.
Years ago I had a super clean trihull, it had all the fancy padding and vinyl all over. The then O.L. complained about the color, I agreed and ripped all the vinyl out, put a casting deck and pedestal on the bow, bolted 5/4 boards to the gunnels for cutting bait, and upped the HP to the max. I tossed the radio, bought a new $2200 fish finder, and some new tires and added two Tempo Captains chairs and pedestals and a half dozen rod holders. I said, problem solved, no more ugly green vinyl.
She wasn't happy and wouldn't go out on the boat after that, again, problem solved, I then bought her a lawn chair and a beach towel.

I moved 400 miles away, left her behind, again problem solved.

KurtG

Petty Officer 1st Class

7 months- I sold the old one in early March of last year and bought the new one in late September and was without a personal boat all summer (Mom lives on the water and has a fleet of john boats and skiffs).

I must looked at ads for 10,000 seriously considered about 30.

I wanted something small and well built that didn't cost a fortune. The Mckee won in this over the Scouts, Whalers, and Carolina Skiffs I looked at. Only had the new one out a couple times so excited about the upcoming season.

vanshee

Cadet

I started looking about 1.5 years ago got a lawn ornament went back to the drawing board and round my Twain a couple of months ago. I learned the hard way. Anyone want to buy a 84 Glastron 17 ft. 3.0 with a broken connecting rod. LOL:D

Fu-Inator

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I had been looking on and off for the last 10 years or so. I kind of stumbled on my boat last summer and the wife and I decided to take the plunge? pun intended? lol.:D

SNye45

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It took me 4 years from conception to getting my present boat. My previous boat was a 16ft Smokercraft Lodge 25hp, which was a great starter boat. It had a shallow dead rise and so was very stable, however the shallowness also meant that it "bounced" a lot -not cutting through the waves. It was a great boat/way to learn the ropes of boating . Then my wife started to complain about being tossed around too much with nothing to hold onto. She said she hated it and would not go out on it again.

I started going to the Portland (OR) boat show to get ideas. I found a great boat and started to lust after it. It was a tad expensive. It had plenty of power (115hp) had a variable dead rise. Everything that my boat did not have. It was built by Harborcraft. I then went to the dealer and saw everything that I could get with it etc. ( I drove the salesmen nuts - as I would not commit) I was ready to buy except my brain was telling me to hold off. 2 years later after visiting the boat shows again I discovered that Harborcraft were fazing out that model. I was devastated.
Just as well I didn't get it.

As a comparison I started looking at similar boats and came across a ThunderJet (my present boat). My heart said one thing my brain kept saying another. I held off yet again. Then we decided to move. I managed to sell the Lodge for a decent price, but then held off buying yet again until we had moved. A missed summer

The move was completed, the side yard made ready, nothing more stopping me. I went to the dealer and found a good deal. All in all 4-5 years from beginning to end.

badboyboat

Recruit

I knew exactly what I was looking for. I went on to google and started typing. I found my boat in a week. The only part I am unhappy about is I would like to gat a 2.5 Merc.