Topping off a compass, what to use?

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
I have filled a compass many years ago and used "Compass fluid" as it was called at west marine .I now need a small amount to top off my compass and my west marine bottle only had a drop left in it.dont know why I saved it.anyone know what can be used to top off a few needed ounces? or should I just buy the entire bottle of compass fluid? Charlie

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I believe glycerin has been used in the past.----Does the bottle indicate what the fluid is ?

flashback

Captain
Yea it depends on what's in there now, some manufacturers use mineral oil or kerosene..or maybe alcohol water mix so you don't want to mix them.. I'm familiar with Richie they used mineral oil for many years.

mvn

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks like it's a synthetic form of mineral oil as it says it can be mixed with mineral oil in older compasses.

Mark

dwco5051

Commander
Don't know what the fluid is but if it is a Navy gimbal compass this is what was used on all the pivots. Only kept in stock on one ship in the whole base so every time we needed some we would have to send the new guy across the base to get it.

Relative brg.jpg

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Had to replace the seals and refill mine a couple years ago.

Turns out “Compass oil” is odorless mineral spirits. $8 a quart at the hardware store

Fill and put in freezer for a couple of hours

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Don't know what the fluid is but if it is a Navy gimbal compass this is what was used on all the pivots. Only kept in stock on one ship in the whole base so every time we needed some we would have to send the new guy across the base to get it.

View attachment 377577
I think your nurses are out looking for you.Time to go back to your room

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Had to replace the seals and refill mine a couple years ago.

Turns out “Compass oil” is odorless mineral spirits. $8 a quart at the hardware store

Fill and put in freezer for a couple of hours
already have some of this,I will give it a try.thanks Charlie