top cap flooring seam suggestions

bigj1972

Cadet
I have a 1984 Stratos that I am ready to pull the top cap. I have found places like the live well and compartments FG cloth to the flooring that I cut with my air grinders. The problem is the rest of the inner "lip" where the floor and the top cap meets seems to be resined (glued) in the seam all around on the flooring. I would like to keep the floor in one pipece to use for a templace if possible. What have you guys used to sepereate the top cap from the flooring on the inner walking surfaces of the boat, if it is even possible. I may have to just cut around the sides of the floor and use something else for a template . Something like a hacksaw blade with a taped handle?

Thanks guys

BobsGlasstream

Commander
Re: top cap flooring seam suggestions

bigj1972,
Pic's would help everyone answer your questions.
However, cutting around the edge is what most of us has done. I don't think you really want to try a hacksaw blade with tape on it. :eek:
Depending on the size of you boat, you would be at it a long time.
You can find several threads of rebuilds going on that show the tools of choice. I prefer Saws all and the Flush cut saw. :D
Good luck with the project.
Bob

bigj1972

Cadet

Yeah flush cut saw was what I was thinking too. As solid as this thing is a hammer and chisel ain't gonna get it. The cap gel will chip and break before it will turn loose from the floor.

In case anyone's confused, this is what I'm talking about:
floor.jpg

BobsGlasstream

Commander

bigj1972,
The glass around the edges on my boat was 1/4" to !/2" thick in places. I not counting the wood. That flush cut saw cut right through it.
I really like it. It saved me a lot of grinding.:)
Good luck
Bob

bigj1972

Cadet

Thanks Bob,

That kind of hi pired brain thinkin was just what I needed

gmaster

Cadet

I just got done cutting out my deck using a rockwell sonicrafter. It worked great. Its works the same as a fien multi master. Harbor freight has a similar tool that works the same for only 39.00. good luck

jonesg

Admiral

Sawzall with fine toothed blade.
Cutting with a grinder is just a dust making machine.

bigj1972

Cadet

Well I just seperated my 1984 Stratos today. I had to buy a good little prybar and go along the inside edges of the flooring because mine was resined to the floor. Took me a few hours to see what method worked best. It helped alot putting a little lift with the engine hoist as I went around a few inches at a time with the pry/hammer. You could hear it seperating. Grinder, flush saw, sawzall no good. Little prybar inches at a time worked best.
Then we get to the transom. It won't budge, Only thing keeping together. I cut, grinded, pryed. And the previous post was right. The SOBs set the splashwell area down in an inch thick of resin, a pad of about 2" x 24" . I tried ever tool to man to get it loose, finally had to cut the transom cap and back of splashwell out with air grinder. It was too low to get to from outside transom, and the front of the spashwell covered the joint. So be prepaired to do some bodywork when you put back together if this happens to you.