Tool recommendations

I have been looking at a few Johnson and Evinrude motors online after the recommendation of another guy in a previous thread. I looked at my little motor and it is a 6 horsepower Evinrude. I want more power. It looks like I’ll need a compression gauge when I start shopping. What other tools would y’all recommend to maintenance on these old motors? From some pictures/videos they look pretty simple.

jitterbug127

Chief Petty Officer
I am still pretty new to outboards so forgive me if I miss something.

A good spark gap checker not one of those $5 light up things from three parts store but something to actually make sure your motor has STRONG spark. In my experience spark is the issue 8-9 times out of 10 when one won’t start.
A spark plug gap tool. 0.30 champion spark plugs are used in a lot of j/e motors.
A pump for gear lube to get it into the lower unit.
Feeler gauges
Compression gauge
Torque wrench/flywheel strap
A set of us custom wrenches and sockets
A good set of screwdrivers including a big flat head

harringtondav

Commander
Every tool mentioned above for diagnostics and basic disassembly.
Getting into the power head and lower unit can get more complicated.
Getting more than 6 hp from a 6 hp probably won't happen. Restoring a tired old 6 hp to 6 hp is doable. Remember the basics: Fuel, fire, compression.

airshot

Rear Admiral
I take a compression tester and a spark gap checker with me when I go looking to buy. A small flashlight to look into fuel tank for crud. And always do a test run. Once you buy a motor then decide on what tools you will need to maintain it...

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Factory manual
Fundamental mechanical skills

As for tools, depends on how deep you want to dive in

Every person the wants to wrench on internal combustion motors needs compression gauge, timing lights, spark gap tester, DVM, IR thermometer, work bench, adjustable pin spanners, etc. and is you need a specific tool, see the factory service manual

Then of course, a tool chest full of hand tools

silverbul

Petty Officer 1st Class
Dont forget to stick your tongue out and bite down while doing all tasks. a boating must. lol

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
A piece of wood, 2 pieces of copper wire and a stapler.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Agreed -------------a spark checker is so easy to make with stuff laying around your shop !