Too much weight for my truck?

Striper Blues

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 30, 2003
Messages
135
I have to pick up a boat/trailer weighing about 6300lbs and haul it about 100 highway miles. My Mazda B4000 with automatic is rated at 5600lbs as far as I can tell. Is it a sucide mission, or will the truck handle it. I don't have to take it out of water from ramp, its a new boat in the dealers parking lot.
 

KM2

Chief Petty Officer
Joined
Oct 15, 2003
Messages
556
Re: Too much weight for my truck?

You are probably going to "hear it" from the group. I don't think it's a good idea. Will the truck get the boat moving yes. Will it stop yes provided you have good working trailer brakes. <br /><br /> Can you make a quick stop or take quick emergency action No. And you just never know.
 

Striper Blues

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 30, 2003
Messages
135
Re: Too much weight for my truck?

Yes, I don't have a good feeling about it even though it is a new venture trailer with brakes on both axles.
 

Terry Olson

Chief Petty Officer
Joined
Aug 20, 2005
Messages
415
Re: Too much weight for my truck?

You'd hate to tear up your transmission. It sounds like you're just towing this boat with this truck one time - maybe you could borrow a bigger truck for the one trip?<br /><br />I wouldn't risk it - but that's just my opinion.
 

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Joined
Mar 25, 2001
Messages
45,907
Re: Too much weight for my truck?

I like Terry's idea.<br /><br />You could probably get away with it, but you also might get killed or kill someone else.
 

Striper Blues

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 30, 2003
Messages
135
Re: Too much weight for my truck?

I think I'll borrow another rig for a one shot deal.<br /><br />thanks....
 

Silvertip

Honorary Supreme Mariner
Joined
Sep 22, 2003
Messages
28,772
Re: Too much weight for my truck?

This is a "tail wagging the dog" scenario.
 

Realgun

Commander
Joined
Jul 31, 2003
Messages
2,484
Re: Too much weight for my truck?

Best not to. Its over the rating on the truck. If it was a 1 shot move borrow or rent a bigger truck.
 

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Joined
Nov 11, 2005
Messages
51,019
Re: Too much weight for my truck?

if nothing else rent a uhaul for a local move. go get the boat. check with dealer as to ball size.
 

heycods

Captain
Joined
Nov 11, 2005
Messages
3,941
Re: Too much weight for my truck?

I doubt your insurance would cover you if something did happen.
 

maxxpower

Seaman
Joined
Mar 29, 2004
Messages
65
Re: Too much weight for my truck?

Ask the dealer to deliver it for a fee, it might be cheaper than renting a truck.
 
Top