Too much stabil???

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Too much stabil???

You do not need to run BOTH SeaFoam and Stabil. One or the other is just fine but I happen to prefer SeaFoam. I also suspect you got a load of water laced fuel.

commander315

Petty Officer 1st Class

if you drain the tank and the problem is still there....there has to be water entering the system somewhere..

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

phase separation begins at about 78-80degrees fahreheit. Ed.

This is not the true. As temperature increases the amount of water needed for phase separation increases. Elevated temperatures alone can not trigger phase seperation.

The warmer the fuel the more water the fuel will hold in suspension before phase takes place. E-10 will hold 0.3% water at 20 degrees F, 0.5% water at 50 degrees F and @ 0.6%. at 100 degrees F.

The issue comes when you dump warm fuel containing 0.6% water into cool fuel containing 0.3% water. Mixing the two fuels will drop the overall temperature of the fuel but the excess moisture above the equilibrium of the two fuels is going to phase separate.

If your the techincal type
http://www.cim-tek.com/pdfs/Treatise_on_Phase_Separation.pdf

scipper77

Commander

when I winterize my lawn equipment (string trimmer, leaf blower etc) I use well in excess of the manufacturers recommended amount of stabil. were talking like 1/2 oz in 1 gallon of gas maybe more. I can assure you that this is not likely the cause of your trouble.

justchange

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't think you're using too much Sta-bil. Adding the Sea Foam is overkill.

You're definatley getting water in the system. As mentioned, this can happen when adding warm fuel to cold or visversa. Also, the less fuel you have in the tank when putting it into storage lets more condensation form in the tank.

I'd drain the tank, flush the lines and start over.

I add 2-3 oz to a 19 gallon tank and all the extra did was clean. No adverse effects. Same on the Jeep. I''ve added 5 oz to that tank with about 5 gallons gas in it. It cleaned and made it run better.

I've never had a problem with ethanol seperating. Bio-diesel is another matter.

Wingpilot

Cadet

This is not the true. As temperature increases the amount of water needed for phase separation increases. Elevated temperatures alone can not trigger phase seperation.

The warmer the fuel the more water the fuel will hold in suspension before phase takes place. E-10 will hold 0.3% water at 20 degrees F, 0.5% water at 50 degrees F and @ 0.6%. at 100 degrees F.

The issue comes when you dump warm fuel containing 0.6% water into cool fuel containing 0.3% water. Mixing the two fuels will drop the overall temperature of the fuel but the excess moisture above the equilibrium of the two fuels is going to phase separate.

If your the techincal type
http://www.cim-tek.com/pdfs/Treatise_on_Phase_Separation.pdf

I never said that temp alone would would trigger phase separation. Temp IS A FACTOR and your numbers just back that up. If you will go to my post where I copied a response from a pro, you will see that Luther agrees with the 0.5% point. And if you do the math with your post about the 92 Gallons you will also see that 0.5% is almost a half gallon of water that the 92 Gallons can absorb at 50/60 degrees (58.88 ounces to be exact). No argument here- we are both saying the same thing from two different experts. The fact of the matter is that it (phase separation) does happen and that it does ruin engines. When that fact is denied, the road to E85 is smoothed out and then it will not only be the marine industry that will suffer. It will be cars and trucks, too. Please excuse my soapbox tirade- but my son and I have trashed 3 (THREE) great outboards due to the direct effects of this CORNy fuel additive. New York/Long Island and the East coast, in general, have suffered tremendously with the mandating of ethanol. So have other areas- but not as bad.
I'm done- off my box for now. But NO-ONE should ignore the possible effects of this ill-advised, under-researched alternative fuel. Ed. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

I never said that temp alone would would trigger phase separation. Temp IS A FACTOR and your numbers just back that up. If you will go to my post where I copied a response from a pro, you will see that Luther agrees with the 0.5% point. And if you do the math with your post about the 92 Gallons you will also see that 0.5% is almost a half gallon of water that the 92 Gallons can absorb at 50/60 degrees (58.88 ounces to be exact). No argument here- we are both saying the same thing from two different experts. The fact of the matter is that it (phase separation) does happen and that it does ruin engines. When that fact is denied, the road to E85 is smoothed out and then it will not only be the marine industry that will suffer. It will be cars and trucks, too. Please excuse my soapbox tirade- but my son and I have trashed 3 (THREE) great outboards due to the direct effects of this CORNy fuel additive. New York/Long Island and the East coast, in general, have suffered tremendously with the mandating of ethanol. So have other areas- but not as bad.
I'm done- off my box for now. But NO-ONE should ignore the possible effects of this ill-advised, under-researched alternative fuel. Ed. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I agree....

KermieB

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Still running 100% gasoline, no additives, no problems.

elkhunter338

Master Chief Petty Officer

Stabil is good to keep the octane rating up. I had a outboard with E10 and fuel sat for about 60 days the outboard would not start with out starting fluid, but fresh gas in it and started right up.
You guys are right stabil will not prevent the water issue in gas.

WE CAN ALL THANK OUR GOVERMENT FOR THE E10 FUEL PROBLEMS. That E10 is a bunch of BS. Our food prices went up, quality of our fuel went down, and now we are paying the price. The non eth fuel in my area is about .50 cents higher per gallon or more and lots of people are spending hundred or thousands of dollars on engine related issues due to E10.

Not to mention E10 gets worse fuel economy, so we burn more fuel. Go figure.