Toilet doesn't always completely flush

Status
Not open for further replies.

ezbtr

Commander
Replaced flapper valve already, have rest of replacement kit I haven't installed, the ONLY thing it doesn't do is flush completely on first try, it fills, doesn't run on, no leaks. Water pressure maybe?? Other toilet in rear of house is fine.
Tank fills to correct level

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Replaced flapper valve already, have rest of replacement kit I haven't installed, the ONLY thing it doesn't do is flush completely on first try, it fills, doesn't run on, no leaks. Water pressure maybe?? Other toilet in rear of house is fine.
Tank fills to correct level

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Are you on well water by chance?

I have the exact same issue with our downstairs bathroom.

The drainage holes (jets) under the rim of the toilet get clogged overtime with calcium and lime deposits. Without this "swirling" action, the toilet will not flush completely the first time around.

They make several products to treat the problem. I've use distilled vinegar with limited successes.......

ezbtr

Commander
no well here, I clean it regular but I'll inspect jets! Water pressure in central TX is always an issue though, I'll read that article, Oh, single story house. Thx!

Last edited:

foodfisher

Captain
no well here, I clean it regular but I'll inspect jets! Water pressure in central TX is always an issue though, I'll read that article, Thx!
Calcium/lime can build up in the hole that directs the water flow. It's visible and aimed at the back of the bowl. If it's clear, you've got a problem a snake might clear. More than that ---call router rooter

tpenfield

Staff member
I recently replaced a toilet that was not flushing properly. . . It used to flush fine, but lately always needed some help with a plunger or just holding the flush lever down.

What I found when I replaced the toilet was that the bowl/base had become loose from the floor (the screws holding the flange down to the floor had come loose) so there was essentially an air leak at the wax ring, breaking the 'suction' the toilet was designed to have during flushing.

Had I know that to begin with, I could have fixed the original toilet, saved a few $ and bought more beer. 🤪

bigdee

Commander
Today's toilets are in the same category as those ridiculous no-spill gas cans!

ezbtr

Commander
I recently replaced a toilet that was not flushing properly. . . It used to flush fine, but lately always needed some help with a plunger or just holding the flush lever down.

What I found when I replaced the toilet was that the bowl/base had become loose from the floor (the screws holding the flange down to the floor had come loose) so there was essentially an air leak at the wax ring, breaking the 'suction' the toilet was designed to have during flushing.

Had I know that to begin with, I could have fixed the original toilet, saved a few $ and bought more beer. 🤪
I checked that, not loose

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
It could be that you have a bend in the plumbing too close to the toilet flange. That makes a poorly designed toilet worse.

I fixed a poorly flushing toilet by replacing it with a higher quality toilet. In my houses, I only use the newer Kohler toilets. Best low volume toilets out there. Only problem, because of their design, regular plungers don't work well.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I checked that, not loose
Yeah...can't really check something like that. If the wax seal has failed, no tightening will help.

I also don't use wax rings anymore. I use these especially for floors that have been tiled with the flange below the surface of the floor

Status
Not open for further replies.