Tohatsu Tiller Handle upgrade

Skagway

Seaman Apprentice
Hello, I have a 2005 30HP four stroke MFS30A. It is currently hooked up to remote steering and controls. I would like to convert it to a tiller handle. Would it be possible to use the new multi function tiller handle on this outboard?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
I am having a heck of time figuring out how parts 16 (friction piece) and 17 are suppose to fit.
Lay 1 upside down, install 16 flat side against the underside of 1, there must be a cut on 1, adjust screw 18 rests there, pass 10 till exits through small left hole, once there secure right side with 14-15. Install 9, 11, 12, 13 at the left side. If don't need to lock the throttle grip, don't install16-17.

Happy Boating

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
It doesn’t seem like these are the right parts?
The tiller handle seems much wider than it should to install the white friction grip and the rounded adjust screw as should be positioned. Did you ordered Tiller Handle part : 3R3S630110 ? The one delivered seems to correspond to a higher HP tiller motor ?

Happy Boating

Skagway

Seaman Apprentice
The tiller handle seems much wider than it should to install the white friction grip and the rounded adjust screw as should be positioned. Did you ordered Tiller Handle part : 3R3S630110 ? The one delivered seems to correspond to a higher HP tiller motor ?

Happy Boating
Hello, Yes that is the part I ordered. I was thinking the friction piece and screw were for a smaller outboard. It seems this model wasn't very popular. It would have been nice to buy the the whole thing as a unit. The service manual is complete garbage as well.

Last edited:

pvanv

Admiral
The 30A was carbed, whereas the 30B and C are EFI... The A is obsolete. I have worked on lots of them. Here is the diagram from the Factory parts catalog:
002-21050-1_FIG12.jpg

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Those new parts should be assembled as seen in pic....Try to assemble same way. The posted pic corresponds to a M30A motor, just wanted to have the overall idea.

Tille Grip 2.JPG

Happy Boating

Skagway

Seaman Apprentice
I understand the concept of how it is suppose to work. The parts I have are not the same as you posted. I have the diagram posted above to go by, would any of the part numbers have changed or no longer available? This shouldn’t be this hard to get a tiller handle for a 2005 outboard

Skagway

Seaman Apprentice
the 2005 MFS30A is also a grey motor and the parts I ordered from the parts list are blue, is this indicative of not being the correct parts?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
The tiller seen on post 11 corresponds to a 2 stroke 30 HP motor, was posted and specified as a reference only. The gray color corresponds to the previous color Tohatsu used, now use dark blue, but parts are same just with different color. I assume that all 3-30A, B, C versions employs the same tiller style ?

Happy Boating

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Is it possible to assemble the throttle shaft at both sides with the black wheel sitting inside the tiller. Being a flat wheel will probably work. If that motor will be used in salt water must grease with marine grease the shaft, friction piece and the wheel where all joins together or the salt will jam those and make the throttle grip hard to turn...

Happy Boating

Skagway

Seaman Apprentice
Is it possible to assemble the throttle shaft at both sides with the black wheel sitting inside the tiller. Being a flat wheel will probably work. If that motor will be used in salt water must grease with marine grease the shaft, friction piece and the wheel where all joins together or the salt will jam those and make the throttle grip hard to turn...

Happy Boating
The Throttle shaft is one piece. At this point I am not sure what to do to make this work. I may assemble it without the friction piece, but that would be a real bummer.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Throttle shafts are one piece with a built in piece at extreme. Check if possible to assemble the shaft without the white friction piece.

Happy Boating