Tohatsu M70A Foot help

oneeyedhippie

Recruit
Someone put a waterpump in and didn't put the foot on right. When I removed the foot the cam that goes on the shifter rod and is supposed to be held on with a roll pin came off and is still in the lower unit. It looked like someone tried to use some type of epoxy to hold it on rod no roll pin could have been in it. We have tried numerous ways to pull it out. Should it come out the top? I believe it is also in gear. I found a parts book online but haven't been able to find a service manual online. It feels like a detent ball is holding it in.Any help would be appreciated.

pvanv

Admiral
Re: Tohatsu M70A Foot help

Just had one of the vintage 70A motors in the shop this past week. Solid motor design. Some parts are getting scarce.

Stainless roll pins for the shift coupler are available at any Tohatsu/Nissan dealer. They may have mangled the brass rod coupler (so the pin wouldn't stay in), or they may have just lost the pin. Rod couplers are also available.

The shift rod has a cross pin inside the LU to keep it in there. Why do you want to pull it out? To replace the shift rod o-rings? The 3 positions (F, N, R) all happen within less than about an inch of rod travel, and the driveshaft needs to be turning to engage a gear. If you need it out, you will need to remove the bushing (attached with a single cap screw) that retains the bushing stopper.

Factory service manuals are typically available from a dealer, not as free downloads.

oneeyedhippie

Recruit

The shift rod is out but I need to get the shift cam out so I can reattach to rod.I have not been able to get the shift cam out of foot. We can get it to move up and down but acts like something is holding it in feels like it is spring loaded

oneeyedhippie

Recruit

so to get the cam out and reattach to shift rod i have to remove the prop shaft? or can it be pulled out the top?

pvanv

Admiral

I would take out the prop shaft.