Tohatsu 90 TLDI problem

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: Tohatsu 90 TLDI problem

Injecters fail due to dirty fuel/incorrect oil/time/bad luck/bad design and it is the most likely cause of any brand or model DFI running rough. Tohatsu/Nissan has been very lucky with their DFI's. Few failures...Think of injectors the same way you do tires on your car. Wear from use, road hazzard, under inflation...It all adds up. A 50,000 mile tire might last 50,000, 30,000 or it might last 30 miles. Injectors may last ten years, five years or six months. It just depends on all the factors that can cause them to act up.<br /><br />Oil and fuel are the two biggest factors. Synth or semi-synth oil and clean fresh fuel will go a long way towards increasing the life of a well designed DFI like Tohatsu/Nissan.

Danjae

Cadet

Shoes,<br /><br />Boat doesn't have a hour meter but the mechanic said between 95 and 150? Can they tell that from the codes?<br /><br />Elvin,<br /><br />Air injector is the same as a fuel injector?<br /><br />Danjae

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

No, air injectors and fuel injectors each inject their respective name. I doubt that the air injectors are the problem, but anything can go wrong at any time. Since you know you had a fuel problem the odds are that your engine problem is related to that.....IE fuel injectors. The dealer has a check list to perform on the system using the codes. If the problem is in the DFI system it will identify that problem.

Danjae

Cadet

Not sure how that works but I'm 100% sure he said air injector.....because I said you mean fuel injector? and he said no, air injector lol :) <br /><br />Said he hooked it to something and cylinder 1 had 0 power.<br /><br />I have no clue, just hope he is right. There are grouper out there that really miss me.<br /><br />Danjae

jshoes52

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes, the tach will tell engine hours thru a combination of warning lights and the tach needle before going into diagnosis mode. The system will also diagnose the plug, coil, air and fuel injector per cylinder.

Danjae

Cadet

Shoes,<br /><br />If that is the case and I don't doubt you ....why didn't it produce a code that the air injector was bad? The only codes it gave him were 2 bad (out of adjustment)throttle position sensors?<br /><br />Danjae

jshoes52

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't know. The ecu will store up to 25 codes, or something like that. All I know about them is what I read in the TLDI Service manual I bought from Elvin last year. Maybe they stopped at the first code?<br /><br />I have the manual, and it's interesting to read, but I'm not going near my motor with a wrench until it's out of warranty.

Danjae

Cadet

Hope your right. From Elvins "Could be...." I have a feeling he does not think the air injector is the real problem. Hope he is wrong I miss the boat lol.<br /><br />Danjae

greengrass

Seaman

edit: Sorry, Greengrass. This looks too much like copyright violation and/or spam. Neither is allowed here.

Danjae

Cadet

Shoes and Elvin,<br /><br />New air injector was installed under warranty and picked the boat up on Thursday afternoon. Went grouper fishing Friday and ran like brand new. Thanks for the help.<br /><br /><br />Danjae

jshoes52

Petty Officer 2nd Class

danjea,<br /><br />Glad to hear it!

jshoes52

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Follow-up question: how long are you getting on a set of those $15 plugs? I have a little over 100 hrs on mine going into the 4th season, and I just put my 3rd set in. Old ones were pretty carboned up, but I do a lot of slow speed stuff. I also use Pennszoil 100% synthetic.<br /><br />It's probably time for a good Seafoam de-carb treatment.

Danjae

Cadet

Shoes,<br /><br />I don't do much trolling or low speed running so my plugs don't carbon, until this recent problem. I change them every year if they need it or not and they had always looked like new, just easier that way lol. <br /><br />I use Pennszoil synthetic as well.<br /><br />The sea foam treatment like Dunk suggests does not work well at all in our motor. The motor just just not use enough fuel. Think the only way would be to take the portable and go for a ride on the water at half throttle or something. I have yet to see the motor smoke during a treatment. My lil 5hp 4 stroke Nissan kicker though smokes like a bear when it is treated.....

Unclebbuck

Recruit

Yes, the tach will tell engine hours thru a combination of warning lights and the tach needle before going into diagnosis mode. The system will also diagnose the plug, coil, air and fuel injector per cylinder.
So,to get hours is there a scan tool needed, or how do you activate warning lights/tach needle to flash code. Also where do I find hour code.?

Unclebbuck

Recruit
So,to get hours is there a scan tool needed, or how do you activate warning lights/tach needle to flash code. Also where do I find hour code.?
Okydoky, found my own answer , in the service manual , with engine off turn key to on position and hold in for 5 sec. The tach will do a combination of rpm pointer and warning lights on (1,2,or3 on) out of the 3. This procedure and code page explanations are found under diagnostic section of service manual. Thx unclebbuck!!

pvanv

Admiral
EEsh. This post is almost 15 years old. You should really start a new one.