Tohatsu 90 TLDI problem

Danjae

Cadet
Wondering if anyone has any ideas on a problem that has popped up on my motor before I take it to the shop. The engine is a 2004 90 Tohatsu TLDI which up to this point has been flawless. After adding gas to the port tank I noticed the engine was acting a bit odd so when I got home pulled the cowling and the sight glass on the engine was about half full of water. Pulled the fuel filter in the bilge and it had a couple cups of water in it. Cleaned both out and switched to the starboard tank which never got any of the bad gas and there has been no more water. After switching gas tanks the engine ran normal for at least 3 trips fishing at 25 miles per trip. The problem popped up maybe 10 days and 3 trips after the bad fuel, so not sure the 2 are related???<br /><br /><br />Pulled the plugs which are about 6 months old and they were black and quite sticky. The old plugs when I replaced them were not like this, still looked perfect. I replaced the plugs but didn't help. Added sea foam to a gallon of gas and let the engine run on this for 30 minutes and let sit 15 then repeated..no help.<br /><br />Symptoms are.....Stall at start up when at idle, up to this point engine had never stalled before. Rough idle. Stall when shifting into gear from idle when cold and when hot. A severe hesitation when throttle is pushed forward. Loss of about 800 rpm's at the top end. Choppy sound to the engine and the rpm's tend to rise and fall in the mid range about 3k rpm's. When the engine is opened up at 4k rpm's or above it acts normal except for the loss of that last 800 rpm's. May be using more fuel then normal...not 100% sure on this one.<br /><br />Any ideas?<br /><br />Danjae

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: Tohatsu 90 TLDI problem

Your in warranty. Stop. Don't touch the engine and let the dealer handle it. By doing any kind of tinkering with the engine you will void that 3 year plus 1 year warranty and that would be a BAD THING.

Danjae

Cadet

Thanks...will take it to the shop...was trying to avoid the down time :) Just checked the obvious...battery terminals were clean and tight, no loose hoses and replaced the plugs with a fresh set. Took it out on the lake for a run and it now idles better and didn't stall but the rise and fall of the rpm's is still present so she gets a trip to the doctor.<br /><br />Danjae

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

It sounds like clogged injectors, but let your dealer sweat it.

Danjae

Cadet

That is the way I was leaning also.....question though. How does something get in to clog the injectors? To get from the tank to the injectors it would have to pass through a racor spin on and then the filter screen in the sight glass that has very tiny pores??

jshoes52

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Danjea,<br /><br />get a diagnosis yet from the dealer?

Danjae

Cadet

Shoes,<br /><br />Sent you a IM on the other site. The dealer seems to think it is the computer...ec...or something. Have not taken it in yet, they are backed up 10 days so will call when they want me to drop it off.

Danjae

Cadet

Your in Tampa right? If so a hour north of you, Inverness, Citrus county.<br /><br />Danjae

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

That's too far to drive and leave it. Send me an email withe your contact information and I'll find someone closer who will look at it sooner.

Danjae

Cadet

Thanks Elvin,<br /><br />Don't mean to be dense lol but, don't see your email addy listed? Send it through your web page, or?<br /><br />Danjae

Danjae

Cadet

Elvin,<br /><br />Sorry for not getting back to you. The shop called Friday and said to bring it in on Tuesday (today) and since I need the impeller changed out anyway (scheduled maint)I decided to just wait for them. They do good work (Holloway Floral City) and like them so waited.<br /><br />Thanks again for the very generous offer. Will update when I know the cause.<br /><br />Danjae

Danjae

Cadet

Shoes and Elvin. Shop called and boat was done....not bad only dropped it off this morning. Both boats ahead of mine needed parts so mine moved up to #1. <br /><br />The problem wasn't the water in the gas or crud in the injectors it turns out both throttle position sensors were loose or out of adjustment...can't remember which.....all fixed now and a new impeller. Chasing grouper in the morning.<br /><br />Thanks for all the help.<br /><br />Danjae

jshoes52

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Glad it was something simple and you're back on the water again.

Danjae

Cadet

Well scratch that:) <br /><br />When I took the boat out the problem was still there so at the moment she is back at the mechanic and he is going to take her for a spin on the lake. Will update when I know what the real problem was lol.<br /><br />Danjae

Danjae

Cadet

Just got off the phone with the shop and they said it has a bad air injector. So I guess I was right and it was using more fuel then normal. Supposed to be done and back to me Wednesday.<br /><br />Diagnosis sound right to you Elvin?<br /><br />Danjae

jshoes52

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Danjea, I remember the day i bought my motor. The dealer picked an air injector up off the counter and said they've had to replace a few of them, usually in the the year after the warranty runs out.<br /><br />How many hours are on your motor?