Tohatsu 2012 15 Hp Floods

LindenLongRods

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks so much for the replies. I will soak Monday overnight in laquer thinner, or is that too aggressive?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Thanks so much for the replies. I will soak Monday overnight in laquer thinner, or is that too aggressive?
I use it regularly but not for an overnight soak, 2-3 hours will suffice, clean every fuel passage in the carb body and every orifice in the jets, etc.

Needle Seat Micro Polish.JPG

Clean and micropolish/shine the valve seat with toothpaste and a cottoned wooden stick dampened in water to immaculate clean condition, the end result is surprisingly fantastic and the needle will never jam against the valve again ....

Happy Boating

LindenLongRods

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Do you take out the needle seat also? Do you know of a step by step video on youtube or where I can get a service manual?

LindenLongRods

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I use it regularly but not for an overnight soak, 2-3 hours will suffice, clean every fuel passage in the carb body and every orifice in the jets, etc.

View attachment 338572

Clean and micropolish/shine the valve seat with toothpaste and a cottoned wooden stick dampened in water to immaculate clean condition, the end result is surprisingly fantastic and the needle will never jam against the valve again ....

Happy Boating
Do you take out the needle seat also? Do you know of a step by step video on youtube or where I can get a service manual?

MattFL

Master Chief Petty Officer
There's usually no need to remove the seat unless it's pitted and needs to be replaced, as long as you can get it cleaned.

LindenLongRods

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Alright everyone!! It Was the Carb, cleaned the crap out it, sprayed and blew it down. Thank you so much for your help!!

LindenLongRods

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If the float's needle is not siting and sealing well against the seat valve will see fuel coming out from upper carb but not flooding the cylinders, is that what's happening when you say the motor floods ?

Once carb has been stripped to pieces with removed float and needle check with a flashling the valve seat condition, if dirty or gunked must clean if to an immaculate clean condition for needle to sit and close at it should. Report your finding...

Happy Boating
Thanks for all your help, I did the tooth paste trick, pick up tiny bristle brushes that were like pipecleaners also

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Doesn't matter if the seat is fixed or screwable type, just polish them where they sit as seen in posted pic. That I know polishing needle's seats is mentioned nowhere as boaters cleans them with carb cleaner spray, that was an idea that occur to me many moons back, worked so well that decided to post it. Paul knows where to get those service manual, hope he chimes in...

Happy Boating

LindenLongRods

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey since I'm running this motor after having to clean carb to get running, is there any fuel additive recommended? Seafoam or some other gumout product. What about a couple squirts of Carb cleaner. I feel that stuff it kind of harsh for rubber pieces in carb

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Hey since I'm running this motor after having to clean carb to get running, is there any fuel additive recommended? Seafoam or some other gumout product. What about a couple squirts of Carb cleaner. I feel that stuff it kind of harsh for rubber pieces in carb
Usually run fresh fuel at every outing and try to burn it all during that day and refuel on next outing with fresh fuel and so on. Carb cleaner won't do a bit if squirted throuth the carb's throat....

Happy Boating

MattFL

Use ethanol free fuel, make sure the carburetor is drained empty if it's going to sit more than a week or so. Fuel stabilizer like Stabil is fine but not required. The key takeaway is ethanol gas is the devil for boat motors. The ethanol absorbs moisture from the air and turns to acidic goo.

LindenLongRods

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Use ethanol free fuel, make sure the carburetor is drained empty if it's going to sit more than a week or so. Fuel stabilizer like Stabil is fine but not required. The key takeaway is ethanol gas is the devil for boat motors. The ethanol absorbs moisture from the air and turns to acidic goo.
ok

MattFL

Just to be clear; if you want to use the motor and E-10 is all you can get, go ahead and use it, it's not going to harm the motor. Just don't let the ethanol gas get old or sit in the motor, that's where you're going to run into trouble.

LindenLongRods

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well I'm in NJ so I'm at the mercy of whatever season gas they want to use, there is though 10 Gas stations in the state that do sell it. I will have to use sta-bil

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Well I'm in NJ so I'm at the mercy of whatever season gas they want to use, there is though 10 Gas stations in the state that do sell it. I will have to use sta-bil
Is the motor's current fuel tank a 3 or 6 Gal one ? Save on those products, let the motor burn the most of the tank's gas contents in that outing and refill on next one with fresh fuel whichever is available. With 3 Gal you can boat all day long. It's just a15HP 4 stroke portable motor that isn't thirsty at all. LOL!!

Happy Boating

LindenLongRods

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Is the motor's current fuel tank a 3 or 6 Gal one ? Save on those products, let the motor burn the most of the tank's gas contents in that outing and refill on next one with fresh fuel whichever is available. With 3 Gal you can boat all day long. It's just a15HP 4 stroke portable motor that isn't thirsty at all. LOL!!

Happy Boating
I have the two motors now, The Tahots has a small gas tank maybe 3. I read there's a place where I go that has 100% gas, it's at a Marina. I just finished rebuilding the Evinrude Carb again. I will install this weekend and cross my fingers. that has a 6 gal.
Stay healthy my Friend