To Drill, or not to Drill...

Phyzikal

Recruit
Hi there, just have a quick question for some of the experienced ones of these forums. I have been repairing an older fishing boat roughly 14ft and I have installed new stringers and fresh layers of glass over them. Now I am curious if I should drill drain holes through them in case water finds itself inside. I have a picture to give a general idea of what I am dealing with. I put red X's where I believe they should go if they are required. Being a small boat, does it really matter? Please let me know if i need to or not. Thanks :)

FYI: The small boxed area is when water drains from the floor to the back to collect and will be open unlike the rest of the boat.

http://img819.imageshack.us/i/img0064kd.jpg/

Bondo

Staff member
Re: To Drill, or not to Drill...

Ayuh,... If ya haven't figured it out yet, I'm here to tell ya,...
There ain't No such thing as a water-Proof compartment in little boats...
Drainage is what prevents Rot...

Drill yer limber holes so Everything drains to the pumpable bilge...
Then seal the edges of the holes ya just punched in the wood...

Phyzikal

Recruit

Ok, Well thanks for the reply, Im guessing it can be sealed with resin or will it need to be lined with 5200?

sasto

Captain

Ok, Well thanks for the reply, Im guessing it can be sealed with resin or will it need to be lined with 5200?

I would drill large enough for a PVC pipe, maybe 1" in diameter by whatever the thickness of the stringer is, and 5200 the pipe into the weep hole. Always worked for me.

Good Luck!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Buy a couple of Plastic Drain Tubes. Drill your drain holes, as low as you can get them, to size then cut the drain tubes to fit and epoxy them in place. You can then use standard drain plugs to plug the drains. When storing the boat, always have it tilted to stern with plugs, OUT!
Get em here on iBoats for less than 3 bucks a piece

20368_0.jpg