TLC for 77 Skeeter SS-1

I recently bought a 77 Skeeter. It is my first boat and quite frankly, I bite off more than I could chew!!! :eek:For $600 I couldn't just walk away.:D I am looking to tear it apart and do most of the work myself. Needs new carpet and most likely a deck. I want to know where to start. I think the engine is too big for the boat but I am not too sure. It has a 100hp or bigger motor on it that has been rebuilt. I want to trade this motor for something smaller, so if you know any good places that has good offers, please let me know. The engine was rebuild and runs good. I would like to take the deck off so that I could clean inside and run new wires for everything but need guidance before I go crazy. Could I paint this myself and make it look nice without spray guns and paying an arm and leg? I do not not have any pictures as of yet but will be snapping a few so that I could get better answers. Oh the wife doesn't know that I bought it yet so if someone knows how I can break this to her that would help too!!!:D Pictures and more to come shortly gents, any advice would help

Re: TLC for 77 Skeeter SS-1

http://s827.photobucket.com/albums/zz191/usmc0386/

Here is the link to some pictures of the project boat. A few things that I have questions on:

Why is there a hole in the middle of the deck and does this wood look like it needs to be replaced?

The trolling motor outlet is old, if I buy a new motor does it come with a new or do I have to buy it? And what others things are required to run a trolling motor?

The boat doesn't look like it goes together. The liner and hull seem to be a bit off and the previous owner just filled it with some type of chaulk instead of getting the right stuff.:eek: I know there are two pieces, so if the top is wrong what is the best way to get one that fits?

I noticed that there was some type of drain or inlet spout on the right side of the hull toward the front and back. This is for the livewell I am guessing and how should they be ran? I noticed that everything has been plugged with some type or another chaulking which doesn't seem right to me:confused:.How do I make this correct?

There are two plugged drains or outlets on the back of the boat, what are they for and should they be plugged? The boat is also missing the plug so its a good thing i didn't try to fish the boat this week!!;)

The next few pictures are of the mess they call the wiring!:eek: I don't know what goes to what. The mess of wired under the dash is hard to figure out what does what. I do I start to remove this mess and clean it up? Also, the battery compartments are filthy, how do I get it clean? As for internal fuel tanks, are they against the law now or now? The rod holder does not fit anything over 6" poles, is there a way that I could make my longer poles fit and organized it more? Plus the carpet in there and several other compartments smell horrible. Should I replace it with some more carpet after fixing the compartment seals or try to finish them with something else?

How do I know what gauges I need and don't need, and what other options could I put up there? There are 3 acc switches, 1 fuel switch, and bilge pump....what options do I have there?

The last few pictures are of the engine that they have mounted. Several local guys here said it was too big for a 15ft Skeeter but I have seen 100hp+ on the same size boats. I have been trying to find out what the max hp I could put on there but nothing has seem to work to well. I guess I could always call the mfgr!!! If the transom had electric trim and tilt would that better support the motor without damaging the transom?

I know that I have a lot questions I have help re deck boats and other things but this is my first boat. So any help or advice would help. I have been cleared hot from the boss to invest couple hundred each check into it until it Spring time again!!!:D One last thing gents, I want to get this thing painted a hunter or forest green with flakes, whats your takes on the carpet? Thank you once again!

JAFO1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think you will have to 'pop the cap.' Looks like everything will need to be rebuilt/replaced. Your transom looks to be patched and needs to be re-done. I am doing through a similar rebuild on a Skeeter. You have a lot of work to do, but the good thing is, you can learn how to do it here. Lots of good people and info to help.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Welcome to iboats.

Congratulations on your wife being pregnant........ this new to you boat project will occupy a great deal of your time.

Okay you are in Ayer MA and the boat was from IN ....... be certain to have the proper paperwork to register it.

Read through the restoration forums.

You need to evaluate what the boat needs. Does the motor run? Boat hulls can be found everywhere but the motor is the significant cost factor.

Evaluate if and how much rot there is .........

My suggestion is to worry about the cosmetics (paint and carpet) as they come along......... Worry about a trolling motor later.

It is missing the rub rail and has evidence of work being done........ investigate and perhaps the previous owner(s) did some of the dirty work for you.

Nothing is impossible to accomplish ........ it all takes a bit of work ;)

I think you will have to 'pop the cap.' Looks like everything will need to be rebuilt/replaced. Your transom looks to be patched and needs to be re-done. I am doing through a similar rebuild on a Skeeter. You have a lot of work to do, but the good thing is, you can learn how to do it here. Lots of good people and info to help.

Ok if I have to redo the transom would the 100 hp be ok or is it too big for my boat? I am going to pop the cap on the this this winter and start working on it. I would like to reconstruct the flooring area and add storage compartments to the current cap but just do know how to go about it. The biggest question that I have is is this engine going to work for this boat?

Slab

Welcome to iboats.

Congratulations on your wife being pregnant........ this new to you boat project will occupy a great deal of your time.

Okay you are in Ayer MA and the boat was from IN ....... be certain to have the proper paperwork to register it.

Read through the restoration forums.

You need to evaluate what the boat needs. Does the motor run? Boat hulls can be found everywhere but the motor is the significant cost factor.

Evaluate if and how much rot there is .........

My suggestion is to worry about the cosmetics (paint and carpet) as they come along......... Worry about a trolling motor later.

It is missing the rub rail and has evidence of work being done........ investigate and perhaps the previous owner(s) did some of the dirty work for you.

Nothing is impossible to accomplish ........ it all takes a bit of work ;)

Thank you.

I am in the military so the boat is going to be registered in my home of record. As for the motor running, it runs great it was rebuilt by last owner so for work being done to that, thats done. They didnt do a good job on the fiberglass or sealing the boat or anything just some country guys putting a boy in water to have fun not to looked good and run better. How much does it usually cost to get a boat painted and a few chips out the hull? I think I have bite off more that I can chew but I know that I got project ahead of me.

JAFO1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok if I have to redo the transom would the 100 hp be ok or is it too big for my boat? I am going to pop the cap on the this this winter and start working on it. I would like to reconstruct the flooring area and add storage compartments to the current cap but just do know how to go about it. The biggest question that I have is is this engine going to work for this boat?

Slab

Sorry, I forgot this.
Welcome to the iboats! And congrats on the baby! Thank you for your service.

I didn't know squat about boats before July when I got my boat. 90% of what I learned, I got right here, the rest from friends and local repair shop.
I noticed the missing rub rail too. So the cap may have been off before. That may be good, maybe not.
The work is not to difficult. The hardest part, for me anyhow, is staying out of my head and not over analyzing things.
I don't know about the motor being too big. Your boat should be rated for a max HP. I wouldn't go over that. My Skeeter is a Starfire 90, which means I'm rated to run up to a 90HP motor, but I'm only running a 75.
Here is my Skeeter rebuild.
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=413145

Sorry, I forgot this.
Welcome to the iboats! And congrats on the baby! Thank you for your service.

I didn't know squat about boats before July when I got my boat. 90% of what I learned, I got right here, the rest from friends and local repair shop.
I noticed the missing rub rail too. So the cap may have been off before. That may be good, maybe not.
The work is not to difficult. The hardest part, for me anyhow, is staying out of my head and not over analyzing things.
I don't know about the motor being too big. Your boat should be rated for a max HP. I wouldn't go over that. My Skeeter is a Starfire 90, which means I'm rated to run up to a 90HP motor, but I'm only running a 75.
Here is my Skeeter rebuild.
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=413145

I dont know what my boat is rated for, where would I find that out at? Also, I do not have a garage or tools to do any of this work by myself so I am way behind the power curve!! What tools would I need to complete this project? The whole glassing things is blowing my mind, I don't know what I think!

Slab

JAFO1

Petty Officer 1st Class

You may find the model on the title. Also, google your model to see what comes up.
I don't have any specialized tools. Just a few hand tools I've accumulated over the years, circular saw, drill, grinder and sawzall. If you have an engine hoist, it will be easier to get the cap off, but the top can also be removed with the help of a few friends.
Glass work. Like I said this is my first time for messing with fiberglass. My lay ups aren't perfect, but it wasn't perfect from the factory. When I get finished, it will be much better than factory, but most importantly, it will put me on the water so I can fish.
I'm working in my driveway, which looks a bit like the opening credits of "Sanford and Son" but it's all I have. I'm sure you could rig up a shelter or something.

I used to be afraid to work on my cars until a friend said "Why? It's just nuts and bolts." Same thing on boats, but mostly just glass and wood. And remember, it's your boat, you can't mess it up. If you do, you can fix it.

Thank you this helps but is there a way that I could safely run this motor on my boat so that I don't have to buy a new one? Was doing some more research today and saw a few guys reinforce their transom and the rear of their boats to handle engines that are rated above what their boat say. What is your take on this?

JAFO1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thank you this helps but is there a way that I could safely run this motor on my boat so that I don't have to buy a new one? Was doing some more research today and saw a few guys reinforce their transom and the rear of their boats to handle engines that are rated above what their boat say. What is your take on this?

I have no idea about this. If your motor is good, you may think about looking for a hull in better shape. One that will handle your motor.

westexasrepublic

Chief Petty Officer

hard call but just at first glance...I would personally consider two options, Keep the motor sell the hull/trailer seperate. or visa versa, find a craigslist add and offer your motor as a swap for a downgrade and a little cash and use towards supplies for the boat resto.

hard call but just at first glance...I would personally consider two options, Keep the motor sell the hull/trailer seperate. or visa versa, find a craigslist add and offer your motor as a swap for a downgrade and a little cash and use towards supplies for the boat resto.

Thank you. I posted it but no hits. Seems like I am going to be stuck with this boat and motor for the time being. I am going to start taking it apart in a few weeks and start with restoring the hull now and deal with the motor later.

I have scribbled this out with what I want to do with cap/deck around of my boat. I know this is going to be advance for me but I have all winter to work thru any mistakes or hang ups. What would be the best way to approach this. The first one is the current lay out of my boat, the second is what I would like to do. Plus is it against the law to put a permanent gas tank under the deck in the hull and how would be the best way to run that in a 15" bass boat?

Attachments

• current.jpg
    current.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 0
  • dream.jpg
    dream.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 0

Sorry for the long time away, life has happened and now I have plenty of time to get things done on this boat. I have noticed that a lot guys are still giving great advice on restoration of boats. I restarted my project today and took the cap of my boat but by the time I was done cleaning up it was too dark to take pictures. I will be posting pictures as I go along to ensure that I am getting sound advice. Thank you guys in advance for your help!! Glad to be back.

Slab