Title question Illinois

Fry300

Seaman Apprentice
I found a boat in Wisconsin that I would like to restore. Its a 1957 whitehouse with a 1957 Johnson 35hp Javelin. It's in pretty good shape, but I'm so confused as to how to get the paper work in order. I don't want to drop cash on this get it to Illinois and not be able to register it. It's a Wisconsin boat so odds are it has never been issued a title for the boat or trailer. Would I be set leaving with a bill of sale for both trailer and boat? What other things do I have to take into consideration? I'm new to this so any and all advice you guys might have will be GREATLY appreciated.

flamingo1227

Cadet
Re: Title question Illinois

Here was a thread about titling boats in IL from a few days ago. I bought my boat and trailer from WI 2 years ago but through a dealer. The boat had a title, but the dealer titled the trailer as homemade in IL since WI doesn't require trailers be titled. However someone in the thread below stated that this may have changed. Good luck.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=444391&highlight=title+illinois

Fry300

Seaman Apprentice

Basically what I got out of that was if its out of my state don't buy it? It's a really nice boat with a REALLY nice old outboard on it. It's everything that I've been looking for. I guess I'll TRY calling the DNR monday...see what they say about the boat. As far as the trailer goes its a Wisconsin trailer (Wisconsin doesn't require titles) so it has no title...the most I can get is a bill of sale. Is this going to be worth the trouble on my part?

cturboaddict

Petty Officer 1st Class

That was me that posted.....

Here is what I know youll have to do at this moment...... HOPE IT HELPS.
You can leave with the boat and trailer and end up having it titled here~~ IF you have him sign two things as far as i know right now...
1-Power of attorney form (can get it on DNR's site)
2-The line on your new title application asking for the previous owners signature if there is no title with your boat.

You will need to know the previous registration number (if there is one), exp date, HIN number, and the name and address and phone number of the previous owner. If you have those and only those, you will be able to register your boat in illinois. Then you also have to contact illinois Department of Revenue to get your tax paperwork that is sent in to DNR so that you can pay taxes on it also.

THEN comes your trailer, and this is where im stuck right now. I havent pursued any further yet on the trailer to see what i can do. But i was told that there are issues with trailers with no titles due to the fact that people just steal them and swap tags on them. Apparently the trailer will have to be "inspected" by someone to show that it is truly a homemade trailer? Im still working on that process.....

Now if your boat is out of state (which it is) and there is nothing paperwork wise on that boat. The current owner of the boat should contact their local establishment for registration and titling of the boat to get the proper paperwork to transfer to you.

ALSO, this is important!!!! IF THERE IS A REGISTRATION ON DOCUMENT for that boat and you try and register it with the wrong name or address of the previous owner, ILLINOIS will find out!!! And then you will be stuck dealing with DNR and their "law department". They will schedule and interview with you figuring out dealings and if someone hasnt paid taxes on the boat, they will find them........

FINALLY, from my experience with DNR so far- CALL THE ALTON, IL office. That is where i easily spoke to someone on the phone and was able to properly identify my problem and he helped me the best i can....

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

All motorboats 16? and over in length, registered in Wisconsin after 1988 will have a Certificate of Title. If it is under 16' then it would just have registration. In either case, the easiest way to do it is to either title, or register the boat in your name in Wisconsin, and then transfer to Illinois. That is what I had to do with my Sea Ray.

The Wisconsin DNR has a very informative website, unlike Illinois, and if you want to talk to a real person, they answer the phones, unlike Illinois, and the people are friendly and helpful, unlike Illinois. I would actually call them and ask because they are really that helpful. The office I called was located in Milwaukee. If you have the most recent registration number for the boat they can look it up for you.

Here is some of their information:
http://dnr.wi.gov/org/caer/cs/registrations/boatingregis.htm

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

That was me that posted.....

Here is what I know youll have to do at this moment...... HOPE IT HELPS.
You can leave with the boat and trailer and end up having it titled here~~ IF you have him sign two things as far as i know right now...
1-Power of attorney form (can get it on DNR's site)
2-The line on your new title application asking for the previous owners signature if there is no title with your boat.

You will need to know the previous registration number (if there is one), exp date, HIN number, and the name and address and phone number of the previous owner. If you have those and only those, you will be able to register your boat in illinois. Then you also have to contact illinois Department of Revenue to get your tax paperwork that is sent in to DNR so that you can pay taxes on it also.

THEN comes your trailer, and this is where im stuck right now. I havent pursued any further yet on the trailer to see what i can do. But i was told that there are issues with trailers with no titles due to the fact that people just steal them and swap tags on them. Apparently the trailer will have to be "inspected" by someone to show that it is truly a homemade trailer? Im still working on that process.....

Now if your boat is out of state (which it is) and there is nothing paperwork wise on that boat. The current owner of the boat should contact their local establishment for registration and titling of the boat to get the proper paperwork to transfer to you.

ALSO, this is important!!!! IF THERE IS A REGISTRATION ON DOCUMENT for that boat and you try and register it with the wrong name or address of the previous owner, ILLINOIS will find out!!! And then you will be stuck dealing with DNR and their "law department". They will schedule and interview with you figuring out dealings and if someone hasnt paid taxes on the boat, they will find them........

FINALLY, from my experience with DNR so far- CALL THE ALTON, IL office. That is where i easily spoke to someone on the phone and was able to properly identify my problem and he helped me the best i can....

This will not work if the boat has a title from another state. If the boat is titled in another state then Illinois WILL require a signed title from that state. The power of attorney form only works if the boat was last titled in Illinois.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Your best bet is to buy it, register and title it in Wisconsin for now. Or have the present owner title it. It can be done with one simple form and a small fee. I have titled several old boats that were not previously titled.

Once that is done, transfer it to an Il title and registration, in your name.

As for the trailer, You won't get anywhere with the IL DMV. You are better off selling it, and buying a new trailer. Probably be safer and easier than that old trailer in the ad.

Fry300

Seaman Apprentice

Could I title the trailer in Wisconsin like the boat and transfer it over? Also being an out of state resident I can register the boat in wi? Or do I need a Wisconsin address?

Fry300

Seaman Apprentice

As much as I hate to say it...I may pass this boat up for something in illinios to avoid a headache. :(

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

Could I title the trailer in Wisconsin like the boat and transfer it over? Also being an out of state resident I can register the boat in wi? Or do I need a Wisconsin address?

The way I understand how it works in Illinois now as far as trailers go is that it has to have a VIN of some kind to register in Illinois now, unless it is truly homemade. It stinks, but that's what it has come to as a result of thieves that took advantage of how it was previously.

etracer68

Ensign

Trailers hauling 3000# or more, (total weight with boat), must be titled in wisconsin. Anything under that, do NOT have to be titled in wisconsin.

Fry300

Seaman Apprentice

That's not the issue here. I want to take this NON TITLED trailer into Illinois the Secratary of state makes this IMPOSSIBLE! I know a few people in Wisconsin...could I just register everything there? A certian ethnic group in this area registers their cars in wisconsin to avoid having to get car insurance...why cant i register my boat there to avoid these BS illinois laws?

Fry300

Seaman Apprentice

Either that or...I buy it..register the boat and start looking for a cheap titled illinois trailer. swap out the trailers and cut the wisconsin one up for scrap metal. How much would I have to spend to get something decent for a 14foot fiberglass runabout?

cturboaddict

Petty Officer 1st Class

Either that or...I buy it..register the boat and start looking for a cheap titled illinois trailer. swap out the trailers and cut the wisconsin one up for scrap metal. How much would I have to spend to get something decent for a 14foot fiberglass runabout?
You could probably buy an almost new one for $400 or less.

Fry300

Seaman Apprentice

I'll be restoring the boat/motor anyways. I think I'll get it..get the boat registered and find a trailer later.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

YOU SHOULD HAVE NO PROBLEM REGISTERING AND TITLING THE BOAT IN WI, Boats are registered in their state of primary use, that would be WI, until you change your mind in a month or 2.

Lots of IL people register and keep their boats in WI, like at the Racine or Kenosha marina.

You can buy a new trailer for $600-800

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

To bad you guys don't live closer to me, we could get this worked out real quick, I don't have to take anything in to be inspected, all I have to have is the paper work and they will title both the trailer as well as the boat for me, I just did it on my boat and trailer, they registered and titled the boat with no inspection and I told them the trailer was homemade, no problem, they assigned me a number and issued a title, then I stamped the number in the trailer..pretty simple process, so now I have both titles legally issued by the state of Montana, which could easily be transferred to anyone!

Fry300

Seaman Apprentice

YOU SHOULD HAVE NO PROBLEM REGISTERING AND TITLING THE BOAT IN WI, Boats are registered in their state of primary use, that would be WI, until you change your mind in a month or 2.

Lots of IL people register and keep their boats in WI, like at the Racine or Kenosha marina.

You can buy a new trailer for $600-800

I would be registering it there and storing it in my garage in Illinois. How do I do that? lol

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

It doesn't need to be registered or titled to sit in your garage.
Your only risk is actually getting it to your garage on an unregistered trailer.

Once you get it in the garage, no one will know if its sitting in Door County, or in your garage.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

It doesn't need to be registered or titled to sit in your garage.
Your only risk is actually getting it to your garage on an unregistered trailer.

Once you get it in the garage, no one will know if its sitting in Door County, or in your garage.

Get a bill of sale for the boat and trailer when you buy and you can get it home. You have a 24 hour grace period to transport it home. Here is what the IL Sec. of State website says:

"A person who purchases a vehicle from a private party without the services of a dealer or remittance agent may legally operate the vehicle for a 24-hour period with possession of the title for transit to an agent or a Secretary of State facility."

Since Wisconsin doesn't title or register small trailers like that the bill of sale will be sufficient.

As for the boat, I see you mentioned above that it is a 14 foot boat. That would not be titled in Wisconsin. In that case Illinois DNR may accept just a bill of sale. Make sure the bill of sale has the seller's address in Wisconsin, the hull ID number of the boat, and a description that includes the length of the boat. Worst case, just register it in Wisconsin first and then transfer it to Illinois. You can even do it online:

http://dnr.wi.gov/org/caer/cs/registrations/wivrs/

As for a trailer, I don't have any idea how much the boat weighs, but Harbor freight sells a small boat trailer for 12-14 foot boats for about $300 new. The capacity is only 600 pounds. I think that is 600 pounds in addition to the trailer weight, but not sure. Don't know if that would be enough for the boat in question though. Its just a thought.