tips for installing nautolex marine vinyl with adhesive no. 88

18trapper

Cadet
I am replacing the floor panels on a houseboat and am using 3/4" marine plywood and am covering it with nautolex marine vinyl using nautolex adhesive no. 88.

So far I have sanded the panels down and am using a gripper/sealer to paint them

The largest panel is 4'x10' and then i have a number of smaller peices; 2'x6', 3'x3' etc.

I have never used either product and I am looking for any tips and advice for covering the panels in vinyl: tools i need, techniques, etc. what works best to spread the adhesive and does it need to be thinned?

How long do you let the adhesive dry after you put it one the plywood before you put the vinyl down?

I don't think the smaller pieces should be much of a problem but am hesitant to do the large panel without some input.

I appreciate any advise you can give me.

SierraMark

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: tips for installing nautolex marine vinyl with adhesive no. 88

Welcome to iBoats 18trapper.

I did my decking in Nautolex and I used the 88 adhesive. I used a foam roller for the large pieces and applied the 88 direct from the can, no need to thin it. Do make sure you stir it well. I applied a coat to the wood and to the vinyl and then let them both dry until they were tacky but not wet. I then put them together and rolled them really well. I then folded the pieces over the back, rolled that and stapled using 1/2" stainless staples.

Same method for the smaller pieces but I used a brush instead of the roller.

Check out my restoration thread for more info.

One thing I did was I stacked my pieces of decking on top of each other and then put some weight on top of the pile. I then went down daily and re-rolled each piece....I did that for a week....not sure if it's needed but somebody suggested it and I had nothing to lose so I did it.

Good luck with your project and I'll follow your thread in case I can offer any more help.

Edit... This is the large roller that I used. This is the small one.

-Mark

18trapper

Cadet
Re: tips for installing nautolex marine vinyl with adhesive no. 88

Thank you. That should definitely help me out