Tin addiction 18' Starcraft Chieftain

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Yeah I do have some topless Mercruiser vid to show how well this starter works.
heh.gif

Oh My, he did. :tsk: LOL

dozerII

Admiral
Those starters are real cool, we put one similar on the 18SS we put the new 3.0 in. It wasn't OEM but it works great and was under $100 U.S.

dozerII

Admiral
Blast furnace hot here even out of the sun in the garage, fans going and powerade flowing. The pic below shows you whats coming next, a fire up vid, (keeping fingers crossed) I think I have all the kinks worked out now and she's ready to fire up. Towed her down to the ethanol free premium pump, 10 gallons in and the fuel gauge worked! 1/3 of a tank. Once that's done I'm on to covering up the motor.

Hey Rob, looking at your smart Tab install, we are going to put a set on Darcy's 81 18 SS they should be here later this week. Did you install them with machine screws or just SS sheet metal screws? What is between the tabs and the transom where you mounted them?

Last edited:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Hey Glen, I knew I was going to install tabs and the stern had a corroded set of AL ones on it so there were some nasty holes to cover. I cut a piece of .080 AL for each side to be tab pads that would double the thickness of the area, back buttered it with 5200 and solid riveted it in place. As you know the bottom of the tab is in never never land as far as having backing and in your case not being able to use machine screws, washers and nylocs having the decking and everything in your way you can use some closed end blinds and just as I did slather the bottom tab bracket in 5200 before setting the rivets so they all would become one with the transom. :) The top mount I used 2 of the beefy SS screws that came with the tabs of course with more 5200.

Last edited:

Watermann

Glen did you ever find out where your SC was taking on water? Last weekend I was out and got my normal 2 cups in the bilge and after driving back to get gas I parked in a way as to have the water run back towards the front. Yeap there was a couple drips on the ground up front below the keel seam. I spent a bunch of time in that area during the rebuild knowing it's the most common place for leaks and sealed it with gluvit. So now I have to figure out the best way to seal that up from just the outside and of course make sure it's dry first.

dozerII

Admiral
Glen did you ever find out where your SC was taking on water? Last weekend I was out and got my normal 2 cups in the bilge and after driving back to get gas I parked in a way as to have the water run back towards the front. Yeap there was a couple drips on the ground up front below the keel seam. I spent a bunch of time in that area during the rebuild knowing it's the most common place for leaks and sealed it with gluvit. So now I have to figure out the best way to seal that up from just the outside and of course make sure it's dry first.

Hey Rob glad to see you found the little leaker in your Chief, still got the one on my Holiday I may have to do the same as you and leave the plug in till I get back to camp then let the bow down a little and crawl under her. for a look see.

Watermann

You guys with the Chief's may be interested in this, I bought a head for the wife and it was one of the best purchases for her comfort. Nobody likes to look at a porta potty so I used a small amount of cabin space and a bit of material to come up with this.

No more putting her out in a cover with herds of cattle. :lol:

y4mkukj4u4euxbWSRnZjIhau_2Y1vg6t98DRyLpiTmP1Avc2OP3yIvre3Un5ptyWZApEDAEL6sLBJx1q2qtdIz-VbaRU9upQynxyXv_Kh-iuJbkY8bWByOner6oaaiJJP2wcK6i1GK5P1Cug2IaNuQg2NeEGBT7pXuVT7iOYrSEucCHsDxoiUJ9Oo1bVKg83ByHfwueOeUOwZptYODpHidp8w

Last edited:

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
Nice install, H2. Looks more inviting than mine!

The "no #2 rule is in effect on my chief!

upRKM3s.jpg

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Chem - You need some Ty-D-Bol. LOL But you do have the wire TP holder on the right side.

Watermann

:lol: yeah the thunder bucket is functional for sure.

TP is inside the hatch on the left inside a zip lock bag. I hope I don't need it, not sure I want to deal with that later on. :cold:

The vinyl cover not only hides the pot but doubles as a hold down in rough seas.

y4mkukj4u4euxbWSRnZjIhau_2Y1vg6t98DRyLpiTmP1Avc2OP3yIvre3Un5ptyWZApEDAEL6sLBJx1q2qtdIz-VbaRU9upQynxyXv_Kh-iuJbkY8bWByOner6oaaiJJP2wcK6i1GK5P1Cug2IaNuQg2NeEGBT7pXuVT7iOYrSEucCHsDxoiUJ9Oo1bVKg83ByHfwueOeUOwZptYODpHidp8w

Last edited:

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
Chem - You need some Ty-D-Bol. LOL But you do have the wire TP holder on the right side.

It was a paint brush cleaning station in a former life. But yeah, looks pretty gross.

In all seriousness guys, don't do your business standing on the gunwales or transom if you're out by yourself. Dumbest way to drown ever.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Don't forget the newspaper & a pen for the crosswords. Better yet, some laminated starcraft brochures...you don't want any glasser-guests using them as a TP substitute :lol:

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
:lol: yeah the thunder bucket is functional for sure.

TP is inside the hatch on the left inside a zip lock bag. I hope I don't need it, not sure I want to deal with that later on. :cold:

The vinyl cover not only hides the pot but doubles as a hold down in rough seas.

IMAG0021.jpg

White all that white Id hate to have to go in a choppy sea :lol:

You will know if someone misses the trarget!:eek: