Timid but determined Glasstream restoration

micks110

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Timid but determined Glasstream restoration

Damn weather! 20's here at night and windy. I gotta start glassing the foam tomorrow so I'm gonna be stoking the stove. I gotta replenish my firewwod again soon:eek:

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

I hear you on firewood. I only burn wood to heat the garage. So far I have gotten away with burning scrap wood from building cabinets and forms as well as christmass cardboard. To gelcoat I need the garage 77 degrees for a while so I will have to bum some wood from the neighbor.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hey folks,
i wish you were closer to me I have a lot of wood available from the major Ice storm last year. I could supply you both for over a year. OAK, Hickory and ASH.
I have had seven bonfires already and have three more ready to go.
Bob

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Bob, I hope your propane heater works so you can make some progress! I'm looking forward to seeing what you get done!

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

I scored all the wood I need to get the gelcoat done. Another neighbor offered a stack in his yard that he doesnt have a woodstove to burn it in.

micks110

bob that would be nice to have that wood! I just pick up pallets from the local businesses, school, hardware store that they are just putting out to throw away. 95% of the pallets I get are oak which burns well- heck I even get to play with my favorite tool- my little top handle echo chainsaw. When I'm feeling real good I break out my Stihl farmboss!

archbuilder,
Hey, I'm glad that you are all really trying to help me out.
I do have a plan but not sure haw well it's going to work yet. I have a 40,000 btu propane torpedo heater, I'm going to add another tarp over the end of the boat and put it inside and see what happens. :)
I'll find a way yet.
Bob

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hey Mick,
I have a Stihl farm boss chainsaw myself with a 20" bar.
Well, I'm back from Mexico with no plans to return in the near future. :D
On Friday we drove down to South Padre Island just to have a look. I took a pick of my buddy enjoying the beach.
IMG00208.jpg

Doesn't he look like he's enjoying it. :eek:

I decided to stay inside and work in the comfort of my shop today. the temperature outside only in the teens again.
I did however work on the boat just not the hull. I stripped the engine cover of all the graphics, hardware and trim parts. Then I lightly sanded the most of it. I only found a few gel cracks in the top and they will all be covered by a vinyl trim panel. I experimented with in a couple spots and I'm sure I can get it to shine like new. the good news is it can be saved. :D
IMG00217.jpg

I may try to work on the transom and stringers if it's not too cold before I have to leave tomorrow. I got to go back to TN. :(
Have a great night.
Bob

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Bob, I'm happy to see you got something done on your boat! It was cold here today, and I didn't get much done on mine. I did get a video camera....spent most of the afternoon trying to figure it out. Hopefully tomorrow I can post some video of the boat. Hope you get some time on yours tomorrow!

BobsGlasstream

Commander

archbuilder,
Glad to hear you got a video camera. I really like the video's from everyone.
I really hope to get some work done to hull tomorrow myself. At least it's suppose to start warming up here mid week. i won't be home but maybe it will still be warm when I get back.
Thanks
Bob

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Looking good Bob, & maybe with the way you travel, a sea-plane might make a great project :p

BobsGlasstream

Commander

HopeSheFloats Re: Timid but determined Glasstream restoration

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Looking good Bob, & maybe with the way you travel, a sea-plane might make a great project
Don't temp me. I am an instrument rated private pilot.
No seaplane rating yet. :p
Bob

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

I can see the thread title already, ?Catalina Amphibian Restoration?! :D

Mountain_Man

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ahh Aircraft, That's another one of my loves. I've always loved flying, too expensive for me to get into. I did help a friend refurb a Grumman Piper cub onetime. I guess that's why I spent 20 in the Air Force. Only worked with planes for the first 8 years though.

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Awsome work Bob

Southe padre has a lot of jellyfish too....I was dont there in the 80s....Spring Break! :D

good news on the engine cover (on its condition)

Keep on rockin!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Awsome work Bob

Southe padre has a lot of jellyfish too....I was dont there in the 80s....Spring Break! :D

good news on the engine cover (on its condition)

Keep on rockin!

I was down there for spring break too.....odd, my memories of that are really fuzzy.............:D

BobsGlasstream

Commander

OK folks,
I can see I have a few to answer. :p
First, I would love to restore a Catilina/ PBY, That would be awesome. I wonder if I could post that on Iboats??? :confused:
Second, all of my spring breaks were fuzzy. :rolleyes:
Now back to the point at hand.
The boat,
I got the deater hooked up today and went to work. I got the transom completed, then the side smaller transoms all glassed in and the stringers set but not bedded in. Now I'm back in TN.
First Here's the transom wide view with stringers.
IMG00223.jpg

Close up of the glass.
IMG00221.jpg

I have a few air pockets to grind out along the sides of the transom from the last lay up but I will get them out.
Have a great day
Bob

kenny26

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK folks,
I have a few air pockets to grind out along the sides of the transom from the last lay up but I will get them out.
Have a great day
Bob

Hey Bob, way to go on the transom, I've got a few bubbles to grind out too, but nothing too bad. Seems like i get bubbles when I try to do too many layers/ too big an area at once.

I've been doing alot of the woodwork on my boat lately, 3 degree weather is not too conducive to glassing. I'm hoping for warmer temps this week as well.

Keep up the good work!

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Thanks Kenny,
I had more trouble with the roving woven and I think that is were the problem came from and the fact that I put 4 layers total like you said and it was only in the low 20's.
The resin kicked a lot better today. I also double the MEKP too. :p
Thanks Again
Bob

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

Glassing in 20 degree weather, no thanks. I am spoiled having an insulated garage with woodstove and propane heat.

micks110

Great Job Bob! I had some air bubbles to in a couple different spots on the hull- not sure if I will grind them out or not?
You prob have the same farm boss as me- I have a 20" blade as well as an 18" for it too. It's a nice chainsaw- lotta power.
Transom looks good and I like the shelter!