Time for Riser & Manifold > VP or Barr?

ESGWheel

Petty Officer 2nd Class
2005 VP 5.0 GXi-E with about 750 hrs. First 5 years a salt boat but stored on a rack, not dock. Last 10 years I have owned it and all freshwater lakes. Manifold and risers never done and was making me anxious. So, this year I got a set of gaskets to pull the risers and check them out. If all good, reinstall. If not, get new.

Pics below of the port riser and manifold. While no ‘breakouts’ that I could see, there certainty is a lot of material clogging up the passages so I assume the walls are getting thin. Thus, I am going with getting new.

I have read that either Barr or VP are the way to go, with Barr being able to save some coin. Is the general opinion that either are still acceptable? Maybe better asked: anyone with bad experiences with Barr?

Thanks for your feedback.

Attachments

• Manifold Pic 1.png
    Manifold Pic 1.png
    407 KB · Views: 15
  • Riser Pic 3.png
    Riser Pic 3.png
    233.3 KB · Views: 15
  • Riser Pic 2.png
    Riser Pic 2.png
    385.4 KB · Views: 14
  • Riser Pic 1.png
    Riser Pic 1.png
    195.5 KB · Views: 15

cyclops222

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You have exceeded the time & hours of the items. Places you can not see ? Could be holes started already. You are right to change them now.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Barr is the casting house that VP uses

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Barr is generally regarded as on par with OEM, as mentioned they do castings for some OEMs

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Agreed I’d at least replace the elbows. You can test the manifolds off the engine on a bench by filling with Acetone (careful, flammable) and see if any wet spots appear at the exhaust ports that mate up to the cyl head. If you see a lot of flaking in the water passages in the manifolds probable best to replace even if there are no leaks. I used Barr on my 4.3 when I did the top end overhaul some years back I’ll going to take them apart this fall and at least replace the elbows. Over the years I have changed the exhaust on this engine 3 times averaging 5/6 years between replacements. Never had a leak and 100% salt water.

ESGWheel

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Lou, thanks and will be doing both the risers and manifolds. Got off the other riser today but one of the bolts snapped off so that confirmed by choice. Will do the test on the new as suggested.

My current decision is around the rubber boots. They seem in good condition but at 20 years old, I am thinking of replacing. Same cost dilemma with OEM vs. After Market parts > there is a huge difference. Any thoughts on the boots?

Also saw a trick on utube of using 2 threaded studs to act as support rods for the manifolds so going to cut off the heads of a couple of the old riser bolts since they are the same thread. Fortunately, all the manifold bolts came loose without issue.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
If your rubber hoses are cracking I’d replace them if not, you can keep using them. The headless bolt trick works great for installing manifolds.

cyclops222

Petty Officer 2nd Class
2 headless studs are great when removing or installing a starter motor or a transmission.

ESGWheel

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Barr Risers and Manifolds came today. Sweet! While I will check for both porosity and flatness, I am looking for best practice on the mounting face. Each of the items has it mounting face painted and each face as some of it flaking off. See pic for an example. I am inclined to have an unpainted mounting surface as that just makes sense to me.

What is the best practice out there: remove the paint, touch up the paint or leave as is? Note the process of paint removal will be followed by still ensuring a flat surface.

Barr Manifold with paint flaking off.png

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would leave as is. The paint will become one with the gasket in a harmonious union for the life of the gasket or riser, which ever one dies first.

If it bothers you remove the paint or grab a can of krylon

Seriously..... It doesn't matter on that surface

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
When I did mine I carefully used a razor scraper to get the paint off.

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Lacquer thinner on a terry towel, wipe paint off

Or leave it, makes no difference on the sealing surface with the gasket in place

ESGWheel

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks all. Any thoughts on using some sort of gasket sealer between the riser and manifold? I have seen that some use Permatex 80019 Aviation Form-A-Gasket No. 3 Sealant. Thanks again.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I used that Permatex on mine when I installed them back in ‘17.

Jmunk

Petty Officer 1st Class
When I purchased new Barr manifolds I asked them about the paint on the gasket surface, they said to remove with razor blade. I have a carbon gasket scraper, I used that.