Time for a ‘new’ boat?

tpenfield

Staff member
Crisis often comes with opportunity. . .

My current boat engine misfortune seems to be accelerating the interest in getting a ‘new’ (to me) boat. So, I may get the Admiral to come on a few boat shopping trips. :)

My Criteria is . . .
12-15 years old
34-38 feet
walk-around/forward cabin
offshore hull - stepped - Deep V
outboards - twin or triple
Synthetic construction ( vs. wood)

I have a short list of:
Fountain 38 LE/LX
Donzi 38 ZSF
Intrepid 377
Intrepid 350WA
Intrepid 348

I know that the Donzi and Intrepid use foam core in their stringers. The Intrepid's Seem to be the most wood-free. Not sure about the Fountain’s. :noidea:

I am hoping to look at some of these over the next month or so, to see what they look/feel like in person, and more importantly what the Admiral thinks. :)

Any other brands/models that I should consider? I think I’m done with I/O powered boats and now looking for OB’s and boats that can really take a rough sea.

tpenfield

Staff member
Quick update . . . My dreams of a 'new' boat are going to be on hold for a few years. We got 2 (two) weddings to pay for next year (Covid permitting) so the boat fund will be wiped out 😲:rolleyes:🤪

I have been eyeing some Center Consoles w/ a cuddy up front . . . might be a possibility for a more open layout and still some overnight capabilites . . . . - Donzi 38 ZFX, and Intrepid 370 cuddy.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Find the u-tube videos on the -----Haulover inlet----Lots of big / outboard center consoles to see and how they handle the water.

alldodge

Staff member
We got 2 (two) weddings to pay for next year

Never understood why folks want big weddings, the money is just thrown away. I tried to get my girl to let me give her the same amount as a down payment, BUT NO way she was going to do that.

Same with funerals, just waste money

The 2 things I hate to spend money on

Maybe when I die if I go after the Admiral, I'll give everything to charity

tpenfield

Staff member
Find the u-tube videos on the -----Haulover inlet----Lots of big / outboard center consoles to see and how they handle the water.
Yes, I watch Haulover videos often . . . love watching the little boats and the newbies have a go at it. 🤪

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Ted, come on down, Intreppid is just 3 blocks from the office. Will make a call, and you can get a tour

tpenfield

Staff member
With 1 wedding down and 1 more to go (in October) . . . the Admiral informs me that after the weddings, we will still have a sufficient amount of cash to buy the 'next boat' . . . just might not be able to go to an extreme. 🤪

I'm still up in the air as to getting a 38 (+/-) foot boat with outboards, or staying the course with the good stern access of an I/O, but getting the 'crossover' bowrider/mid-cabin. There are days when we need the extra seating capacity of a big-big bowrider.

My choices would be (all 'used' of course) . . .
38 Foot Outboards
  • Donzi 38 ZSF
  • Fountain 38 LX
  • Intrepid 377/370 cuddy
32-33 Foot Crossovers
  • Cruisers 328/338 CX
  • Chaparral 327/337 SSX
  • Formula 330 CBR
The outboard versions of these boats would have to be new and way out of my price range. The Admiral is not keen on the fishing/offshore style boats (i.e. the 38 footers). She like the Cruisers 338 that we saw in Palm Beach a couple years ago.

I'm thinking if I did get an I/O, I could (maybe) do a conversion to outboards at some point in the future.

All of these boats have 22˚ deadrise . . . Except the Formula, which has 21˚. My preference is to have more deadrise to get the best ride in the chop, even though other factors contribute to ride quality.

I've put my current boat up for sale, but I don't think it is going to sell all that fast. It seems as though there has been a flood of boats on the market in the past few weeks. . . 2 months ago there were barely any Formula 330's for sale, now there are over 20 on the market across the USA. Everyone wants fresh water, low hours, and even a trailer. :unsure::rolleyes: . . . all those things that I don't have.

Anyway, my main question for this update is . . .

Which option ???

1) 38 footer w/ triple outboards,
or . . .
2) 33 footer w/ twin I/O . . . then maybe convert to outboards down the road.

3) ???:unsure:

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
agreed...... buy what you want.

there are Cruiser variants with outboards

tpenfield

Staff member
Thanks Guys . . .

I think it will come down to what the Admiral wants vs. what the Captain wants. Perhaps we should plan some boat shopping tours over the next couple of months.

tpenfield

Staff member
are you getting a brand new one? if so, I may be able to get you in to see it being built
Hey Ted, have you looked at the new Aviaras? https://www.aviaraboats.com/#welcome Matercrafts upscale line, made in Vonore TN available as both I/O and OB

My lottery win has not come through, so I'll be getting a used one . . . 2015 ish. There is a 2015 Cruiser 328 CX a few miles from me, but it looks a little neglected. I have not seen it up close yet.

I did look at the Aviara boats a few years ago at the Palm Beach Boat Show. Interesting, but not completely what I'm looking for. I do recall they are made in TN.

blamtro

Petty Officer 2nd Class
@tpenfield I saw your post. I felt your listing was lacking. Just offering an opinion but the vast knowlege and care and meticulous maintenance and new upholstry and all that youve show us here was not conveyed in your post. It looked like everyother 330 posted for sale out there. I’d never think about touching a salty boat, but I WOULD EAT, SLEEP, AND DO DIRTY THINGS ON YOUR BOAT but only because I know how meticulous you were. But your buyers arent seeing that. If you expanded your post/ photos, you may get a few more bites. Every $K needs a photo, so if your asking 40K, you better have 40 GOOD, relevant photos. For example, one of your anchor locker photos has a streak of rust from a fastner. Clean that streak and redo the photo. Neatly coil the rope. Show a photo of the new upholstry job and how good it looks.

Lowlysubaruguy

Chief Petty Officer
Crisis often comes with opportunity. . .

My current boat engine misfortune seems to be accelerating the interest in getting a ‘new’ (to me) boat. So, I may get the Admiral to come on a few boat shopping trips. :)

My Criteria is . . .
12-15 years old
34-38 feet
walk-around/forward cabin
offshore hull - stepped - Deep V
outboards - twin or triple
Synthetic construction ( vs. wood)

I have a short list of:
Fountain 38 LE/LX
Donzi 38 ZSF
Intrepid 377
Intrepid 350WA
Intrepid 348

I know that the Donzi and Intrepid use foam core in their stringers. The Intrepid's Seem to be the most wood-free. Not sure about the Fountain’s. :noidea:

I am hoping to look at some of these over the next month or so, to see what they look/feel like in person, and more importantly what the Admiral thinks. :)

Any other brands/models that I should consider? I think I’m done with I/O powered boats and now looking for OB’s and boats that can really take a rough sea.
If the boss is involved start shopping for boats that are twice the price you plan to spend And drag her with you a number of times. Then when the perfect boat shows up she will be so happy she will drive you personally to buy it;)