Tilting Device

VisionIsle

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Volvo AQ240A/ 280 outdrive

After putting my boat in reverse and looking over the transom I have noticed the outdrive does not lock down, Even though the light goes out on the dash when fully lowered. In fact the outdrive goes up and down without a problem but does not lock when in reverse.

What I have found is that when I removed the electro-mechanical box about a 1/2" of the top of the "upper part" is broken off.
I am trying to attach a photo

It looks as if the top portion of this "upper part" actually holds the vise rod. Can I just remove this upper part and replace it? Is this the reason the outdrive will not lock? How is it still working with this part broken. Oh and can I do this with the boat in the water?

Thanks,

Carden

Attachments

• UpperPart.jpg
    UpperPart.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 0

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Tilting Device

That's probably not what's causing the lockdown to not work. What normally happens to those drives (especially on boats kept in the water) is barnicals and other marine life preventing the mechanism for working. Do you tilt the drives up when parked? if so, that even makes it worse. Another common problems is the sleeve in the top of the fork that the Mechanical lift unit pushes on, gets stuck in the released mode.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

Carden,
it sounds like you have two separate problems. The vice rod presses doen on the push rod (on the outside of the transom) first. The push rod then releases the lock as the vice rod continues it's travel downward to lift the outdrive.

The top of the housing being broken seems rather odd. There shouldn't be any pressure there as the nut and clutch are further down in the housing. However, it would be a good idea to replace the housing.

The reverse lock not working is an other issue. It could be that the vice rod is pressing the push rod and causing the reverse lock to be unlocked. There are also other issues such as the springs, latches, and shift cable adjustment that could be allowing the latch to slip.

You can look at the push rod to see if it's being pushed down when the lift screw (vice rod) is up. Other than that, I don't see how you could inspect the actual latch while the boat is in the water but that's really what you need to look at to determine why the latch is not working properly.

Just as an FYI - the reverse latches are mechanical devices but I believe there's a touch of black magic needed to make them work properly.

VisionIsle

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thats what I thought, that it was odd to break. However, I dont find anything odd on boats anymore, especially mine.

I am going to put the wet suit on and try to clean the area. Thanks guys

One more thing, It would be easier to clean if the motor is up, does this sound dangerous to you? I guess i could try to block it somehow, I dont think Im getting to dry dock anytime soon. I just had the boat hauled in May.

VisionIsle

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yesterday I went in the water to clean and inspect the locking mechanism. Everything looks intact. With the engine off and in neutral I pulled on the outdrive and it would not come up from the locked position. I then put the gear into reverse, I pulled on the outdrive and it remained in the locked position. I then started the engine and put it in reverse and the motor comes up again.

I lowered the drive all the way to the down position and then went inside the engine room and located the electrical box, I manually taped the push button switch, automatically turning the lite off on the dash. I started the boat, then put in reverse and the locking mechanism held.....once. I then put it in forward and then back to reverse and it did not hold. I was then unable to get the drive to lock down in reverse during several more attempts.

Question 1

When the motor is on and put in reverse the locking fails. Why am I unable to lift the drive manually with the gear in reverse while the motor is off?

Question 2

After the drive held in reverse with the motor running (while manually taping the switch down) I began to think the electrical box was the problem. What can be tested in the electrical box that would cause the lock to fail?

Thanks,

Carden

Don S

You need to put the drive ALL the way down till the light goes out. If your light doesn't work, you may not be letting it down far enough to allow the lockdown to catch. If you can still let the drive down with the switch, then you aren't getting the drive all the way down for some reason.
Have a look at this thread. http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=366344 while his won't unlock, it does explane what the thing should be doing.

Ira Quirke

Cadet

Hi, I have had the same problems with my 280 leg and have torn my hair out over it.'Black majic' is a good euphamism!
The limit switches, (?) one that turns the light out at the bottom and the one at the top that prevents the 'winch' from going too far may be faulty....if the winch goes too far, that may be why the top broke off, and the whole thing being shifted too far up, may be why the light doesn't go out.

Until I can get a good look at mine, (everything is hidden behind the leg and I don't know how to get there yet) I have secured my leg with a small size SS chain and a D shackle. This will just snap if I hit something, but allows me to brake,(Go astern) when approaching my pontoon.

If you get anywhere with yours, please keep us up with what you found....Interesting.

Cheers, Ira

Jeepster04

Chief Petty Officer

Question 1

When the motor is on and put in reverse the locking fails. Why am I unable to lift the drive manually with the gear in reverse while the motor is off?

Carden

You probably just are not pulling hard enough. Our DP's also stay locked down when I lift up(as hard as I can while swimming) but they still fly up in reverse. Ive always figured the latch paw's were worn out.

captmello

Captain

It's clear that none of you guys have a firm grasp of how the retaining pawl works. Perhaps because you guys have your boats in slips and have been unable to spend the hours I have staring, swearing, and perhaps crying while looking at the outdrive on a trailer.

I do however believe these can be fixed. I've fixed mine a few times.:eek::rolleyes:

If the upper housing of the tilt mechanism is broken, you need to fix it. However, the only way this would cause the outdrive to kick up is if the tilt is not allowing the outdrive to lower fully.

If the outdrive is catching sometimes but not all the time, the release rod that goes up were the tilt mechanism foot comes down may be sticking or as mentioned before, the the hooks that grab could be worn or...who the heck knows.

There are so many variables that you all probably have different issues causing the malfunctions.

If you really want to fix the problem, start your own thread and work through the issue one step at a time. Take pics if you can, to help describe what your seeing if you need to.

This is a link to photo posting instructions.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=285637

Good luck guys.:)

Don S

Ive always figured the latch paw's were worn out.

And worn parts in the latch mechanism, along with missing springs, WILL prevent it from holding down in reverse.
I've put new kits in many and they worked fine after that. BUT, if he can
"Mess with the switch" and it will lock, then something else is wrong.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's clear that none of you guys have a firm grasp of how the retaining pawl works.

I think I have a fairly good grasp of the concept.

captmello

Captain

I think I have a fairly good grasp of the concept.

Ha Don. didn't mean to lump you in with the "less experinced guys".

I hope you've got a good grasp since all the help I offer comes from what I've learned on this site.:eek:

PP40 Posted earlier, he's excused as well.:)

The retaining pawl is bad enough to work on. I couldn't imagine working on it in the water.

You'd need a mask and snorkel.

VisionIsle

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok , thanks all

A couple of things. The lite does go out when the switch is pushed by hand and also when the drive is fully in the down position.

Here is a photo of what the sleeve and rod top look like last time It was hauled, yickes. I think the rod is getting stuck and not coming up all the way.

With the boat in the water, Is there any reason why I should not remove the tilting mechanism to replace the sleeve, it obviously looks smashed or gone?????

Also in the diagram there is a 3rd small spring, what does that do?

Attachments

• ReverseTiltInhibit.jpg
    ReverseTiltInhibit.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Sleeve.jpg
    Sleeve.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 0

captmello

Captain

Thrustsleeve.jpg
[/IMG]

When you compare the pic you posted to this one, The foot on the tilt mechanism looks mashed, not the thrust sleeve below it.

If that is the case, if the foot of the lift is bad, it may not be making good contact with the thrust sleeve. Hard to say.

There is a third spring on the retaining pawl in the center that is holding the pawl up keeping the drive locked. If that spring is weak or broken...No Lock.

In this pic I was pulling down the pawl to take the pic., normally the spring is not stretched when at rest
retainingpawl2001.jpg
[/IMG]

What I have found is that when I removed the electro-mechanical box about a 1/2" of the top of the "upper part" is broken off.

This is from your first post. Do you still think something is broken??

VisionIsle

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If you look at these photos, I think Ive mis-marked #47 for the spring, Obviously there is no spring in the middle of mine. See Photos attached

Attachments

• Spring55.jpg
    Spring55.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 0
  • SpringLocation.jpg
    SpringLocation.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 0

Don S

This picture is using the numbers in your parts breakdown picture above (reply#14) with all the parts in view, not just some of them like in all the othe pictures.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Lockdown..jpg
    Lockdown..jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 0

captmello

Captain

If you look at these photos, I think Ive mis-marked #47 for the spring, Obviously there is no spring in the middle of mine. See Photos attached

That is not where the spring would be. It's hard to see if the spring is there or not. If you can pull the whole pawl assembly down, and it springs back up, the spring is there.

One other thing I noticed in the pic. The part you labeled 52 and 50 in your pic. The hooks that do the holding, not labeled on Don's diagram, Those hooked tips look almost nonexistant, or is it the pic? If you look at the diagram don Posted and the pic I posted, the tips appear to stick out more. I wonder if yours are just worn down. If you've got an AQ240, the boat must be from the Mid 70's.

Can you recall their condition?

Here's a profile shot of the hooks.

retainingpawl2002.jpg
[/IMG]

Ira Quirke

Cadet

Hmmmmm.......I have so much to learn!

I have seen 40 pages so far going back in the posts and guys have been having trouble with these clips for ever.....

Looks like I will be taking my leg off soon so that I can get into mine...its a pain!

watching...........Ira

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

VisionIsle,
Yes - your center spring is there. Your photo is from the bottom so it's difficult to see but the spring is there.

VisionIsle

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It appears I have two issues.

The housing top part is definately being pushed too far (by the worm screw) and therfore was the culprit for breaking off the top. I actually glued the top back on and watched it being pushed off.

How can the Limit on this be adjusted?

Obviously the second issue is the locking issue, I dont think they are related.

I am for sure the drive is all the way down.

captmello

Captain

Regarding the broken housing. inside the black box on the tilt mechanism is the limit switch. It sits directly in the hole in the top cover of the housing. If the relay box (black box) is not secured by the two long skinny bolts, the box may be riding up on the housing and not allowing the limit switch to do its job, or perhaps the limit switch is bad. the two long bolts have to have a small washer and nut on the bottom and should hold the box in place but just hand tightened. The box should still turn freely on the top of the housing.