Tilt/trim wiring, 2 vs 3

JWhit

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I had a 77 140hp motor with PTT, replaced with 91 60hp. My question is how to connect the wiring, as it appears that the lead from the relay box had 3 wires, red, blue, green, but the new motor only has blue and green. Is it safe to just connect those or is there something that needs to be changed in the relay box since there is no longer a ground? Thanks for any advice

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Tilt/trim wiring, 2 vs 3

It is difficult to understand your question. Did you just replace the PTT motor or the whole engine? You '77 likely had a 3 wire (blue. green, black) motor, and two solenoids. Power was applied by one of the solenoids to either the blue wire (up) or the green wire (down). Ground was common to both blue and green circuits.

The newer PTT can have two wires (blue, green). Two Relays are used to reverse polarity to the motor. to trim up, +12VDC is applied to the blue wire, and the green wire is grounded. To trim down, +12VDC is applied to the green wire and the blue is grounded.

The PTT switch would have the three wires you reference. Red is +12VDC and blue and green control the direction of the PTT motor. when you press the PTT switch, the red is connected to one or the other wire.

willamettejeff

Chief Petty Officer

Below is the diagram for wiring relays for a 3 wire motor. To convert for 2 wire, the black wire (ground/Battery negative) would be attached to the 87a terminals on the relays instead of to the motor. As Chris said, the cable with red, blue, & green 14 or 16 gauge wires is normally to the T&T switch. Don't know exactly what you had before so use this info with caution.

Click diagram to enlarge:
3 Wire Tilt and Trim Circuit Diagram.jpg

-- Jeff

JWhit

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks i'll take a closer look at the relays, but yes Chris it is as you described. Everything except the PTT motor was from the 77 setup, and the 91 motor has only the 2 wires. Thanks again, and I'll update any progress i make on it

JWhit

Petty Officer 2nd Class

taking me a while to get to this issue, had to fix carbs. Turns out I was reversed with the wiring, there is a 3 wire plug on the motor with red, green, and blue. Appears this runs to the trim motor and the TT switch on the side of the outboard. the wire from my relay box is just the blue and green. any chance i can connect the blue/green wires and just connect the red to the battery? Thanks again and sorry for the mistake initially

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Your description doesn't sound stock. You might take some pictures.

A three wire PTT motor would normally have Blue, Green and black wires. There are normally three wires run to the PTT switch. these are red, blue (sometimes blue/white) and green (sometimes Green/white).

You should be able to connect the relays to a 3 wire PTT motor very easily.

JWhit

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Boat 031.jpgThank you, so the red/green/blue should run to the switch and is not already connected by the big red connector? In that case i would need to run the relay to PTT motor connection? Attached is the only current picture i have, I guess to start where does this plug connect outside the motor? Thanks again for the help

JWhit

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So I haven't messed with this issue yet, but the plug on the motor is the 5 pin connector, with red, blue, green, and two more that i believe are for the gauge. Coming out of my relay box are only blue and green. any advice on how to proceed? Thanks and sorry for the long gap - had bigger issues