tilt trim suddenly stopped working- troubleshooting?

boatdude100

Petty Officer 2nd Class
3L GL Volvo SX drive. Was working fine however, thumb switch has a history of not activating perfectly every time one time out of 20 I have to push it twice. however...

I hear clicks when I move the switch both up and down. No motor activation .
I'd jump it if I could find clear instructions on exactly what wires to jump please?

How should I proceed? Thanks so much folks!

boatdude100

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just to add..
Boat is a 2007 Stingray
I can't even find the motor itself so I don't know what wires lead from it. I did however see a 2 wire connector with a blue and green heavy gage wire tied to the trim sensor wire so I assume that is it? How do I jump it? One to pos one to neg, then reverse?

I saw one post with what seemed to be a similar boat saying pump/trim motor was outside the hull? If so, is it now inaccessible because the motor is stuck down??

And fuses.. Is the trim motor is either a large orange 40 amp fuse or a large yellow 20 amp fuse. Maybe??

Please help- How should I proceed? Thanks so much!

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
check the main power harness on the motor/relays. the control voltage for the switch and the relay coils comes from the helm. the power its switching comes from the starter.

boatdude100

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks Scott, I did a visual , tightness and corrosion inspection and all seems good with the harness and other wires you mentioned. Not sure how to check it further.

I found info on jumping pump/motor and harness with blue and green wire. I will try blue to neg and green to pos and as I understand it (with luck) it will go down....

BTW, I never have checked trim oil level... could this be a cause?

Scott Danforth

Staff member
do you have a 3-wire motor or a 2-wire motor. that determines how you jump them.

if you hear the pump run, however it doesnt sound right, that would be oil level.

boatdude100

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks Scott more excellent pointers. 2 wire motor, jumped as described in my last post. Small spark at battery when touching wire but nothing. No sound, just a welling feeling of defeat in my heart.

Also, tested for continuity and found open circuit going to motor at connection
Showed +12 v when using switch on throttle to trim up and -12 down

From this info, what is to be concluded please?

boatdude100

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So having jumped directly positive and neg to blue and green wires and getting no sound, this means the motor is shot?

Q1)Is it true that for a SX-A trim system, the motor is not available seperatly-without buying the whole pricey assembly? Coule not find a motor for SX-A on Amazon or i-boats

Q2) Is it possible to have these motors rebuilt?

boatdude100

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Did I fry the trim motor by jumping it wrong on Sx-A??
2 wire motor
What I did: from battery: - to green + to blue on connector going to trim motor on transom.
Is this the correct procedure or did I just cost myself a lot of money as it shows "open circuit"
Please help!

Scott Danforth

Staff member
2 wire motors. Connect one to +, one to + and motor spins. Flip the wires and it spins opposite

Putting + on blue would make it go up

However sounds like your motor is dead or stuck

Is no sparks, going to assume dirty or worn brushes