Tilt/trim 86 force issue

BlueVIP

Seaman Apprentice
so my tilt/trim works when in neutral. Trim up seems to struggle but it goes when in neutral. Now I can put it up 1/4 and start going but then it drops down. Won’t trim up at all when on plane. I read on another post it could be the fluid level in the unit. Or could be the O rings leaking. How do I go about checking the fluid levels or Orings. If I put it all the way up it will hold it up there when I trailer my boat or pull it out of the water. Any help is appreciated.

kbh121956

Chief Petty Officer
there is a hand screw on the side of the tilt/trim unit. Lower the outboard foot all the way down and check the fluid level. When you remove the screw, the level should be right there. If not top it off with 30 weight oil. Do not top it off with the outboard in the up position as you will not be able to lower it. jerryjerry05 will chime in on this in the morning, he knows these better then I.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Read the sticky on the T@T in the first 4 posts.
The T@T is a 2 part system, one part is the trim controlled by the plunger in the center of the housing.
The tilt is controlled by the shock looking part with the hyd. line going to it.
There is a series of leak down tests that helps determine if one part is bad.
You will need to by a couple of 1/8th in brake line fittings.

Most time the trouble is the 2 seals in the lower part of the pump.
These 2 parts are the only thing in the pump that you or I can replace.
DON'T take it apart as you might not EVER get it back together.

Inspect for visible leaks.

Grease the center plunger and the ram in the tilt.

Check the fluid like KBH suggested and see if there is water in there??
I use an old style oil can to add oil.
Way easier than any other way.

shopping

Zink357

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Please update here when you find out what the problem was. I replaced all O-rings in my tilt cylinder as well as the relief valve seals in the pump and mine still leaks down.

BlueVIP

Seaman Apprentice
So last night I took the hand screw off and it looks to be empty. Going to get some 30 weight oil today and fill it up. Hope that solves the problem will let you know.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Zink357 you do the leakdown tests?
Only takes a couple of hours(mostly waiting)

BlueVIP

Seaman Apprentice
Added 30 weight oil to the trim. It doesn’t seem faster going up but have not had it in the water to test it under a load. Blew tire out on the way and before I left my spare blew up so that wasn’t fun day.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
It should go slow at first, then go up fairly quick.
You might have water or oil in the electric motor?
The trim is a 3 part setup.
#1 is the electric motor.
#2 is the hyd. pump in the reservoir/.
#3 is the trim in the center and the tilt rams

There's a seal between the motor and pump.
The pressure can push oil up into the motor.