Tilt and trim problems

Mystic Bill

Recruit
Hi, New to this forum. I have a recently purchased Q5i with the 4.3 mpi engine and alpha one, gen 2 outdrive. This is my first outdrive and i Have only had it afloat for a few weeks. It’s the outdrive that is baffling me. It seems to have a mind of its own in that it has trimmed itself fully up after slowing down to idle after a fast run. Then it doesn’t want to trim down! The trim button on the shifter remote appears ( by the trim angle meter on the dash) to have no effect on the degree of tilt. Press the down side of the button and the meter shows it rising. Press the down side and nothing moves. The pump runs but no movement. Eventually after fiddling with the switch I can get it down but I’d like to understand what’s going on and how to fix this.

This is new territory for me as I’ve been a sailor for a very long time. The boat seems fine although a bit scary when it goes above sailing speed, (5 or 6 knots). Otherwise this is a nice little boat and right for my needs. I just don’t need a goofy tilt/trim device.

thanks in advance for your hel.

Mystic Bill

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
There might be some damaged Wires in the Control Lever/Box. However, if the Pump is operating, but there is no movement of the Outdrive, that sounds like a Problem with the Hydraulics.