Thru-hull oil drain

Mcfltfyter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My boat has a thru-hull oil drain, and while I've never seen one before, I never thought much about it. I searched for a while and couldn't find any info on the subject. I do know that they weren't very happy today when I refused to pull the oil plug at the inspection, as they claimed "all plugs must be removed."

Is this oil drain factory installed on a 2006 Tahoe? If not, are there any regulations it could be violating?

89retta

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Did you have your bilge drain plug out ? I had one inspection officer give me a lecture on drying my boat. Maybe the torrential downpour had something to do with it being wet that I just drove thru. You could still see the rain down the hi way

Mcfltfyter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Did you have your bilge drain plug out ? I had one inspection officer give me a lecture on drying my boat. Maybe the torrential downpour had something to do with it being wet that I just drove thru. You could still see the rain down the hi way
Of course, I even showed him the plug. When I told them that oil would spill if i took that plug out, I immediately thought "if that plug fell out I'd spill oil in the lake."

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
That plug won't jut fall out. But it is for draining the oil. I don't use them if it comes equipped with them. I pull the oil from the dipstick.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
If the inspection officers never heard of a thru hull oil drain, then they are not as well experienced as they should be. Those have been around for quite a while. Aftermarket ones replace the drain plug on the oil pan and are routed out the garboard drain, when you want to change the oil.

Mcfltfyter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for confirming that the drain isn't abnormal. I'm not worried about the plug falling out, people just tend to fear anything mechanical these days and I could see someone freaking out about it if it wasn't an industry standard.

I did consider pulling the plug to prove a point but I wasn't willing to accept the accompanying ticket and/or fine.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
I would have handed him a wrench, or pulled the plug as ordered, and drove away.
Then spent the day at the beach.
But thats just me and I'm an azz that way.

I'd have done pretty much the same. Pulled the plug after advising them it probably wasn't a good idea. A quart or two is worth seeing the look on their face when they realize they are idiots.

froggy1150

Master Chief Petty Officer
I would have turned on a camera, then have mentioned what it "might" be, said "you are now responsible for what happens next" then handed him the wrench. With his stupidity on camera i bet their would be no ticket to be had

ahicks

Captain
My thought is he's just doing the job he's being paid to do. It's the jack asses that decided to make the rule regarding "all plugs" that need to be shamed.

A call to his supervisor should have ended any stand off.....

Alumarine

Captain
I'm not sure why people are putting the guy down
Around here all the inspection stations are staffed by summer students.
I can't imagine them knowing as much as you experienced boaters.
Good opportunity to help educate them.

Last edited:

Tim in TN

Seaman
My boat has a thru-hull oil drain, and while I've never seen one before, I never thought much about it. I searched for a while and couldn't find any info on the subject. I do know that they weren't very happy today when I refused to pull the oil plug at the inspection, as they claimed "all plugs must be removed."

Is this oil drain factory installed on a 2006 Tahoe? If not, are there any regulations it could be violating?
Yes, they were installed at the factory on '06 models. The brass plug you're seeing at the back of the transom doesn't let the oil out. There's a lanyard attached to it that pulls a hose out of that hole. Remove a smaller plug from the hose and the oil comes out.