Throttle Only button stuck!?!?!?

hckrphil

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 2000 Wellcraft Martinique 3000, volvo motors and outdirves but it has a Mercury throttle control.

throttle.jpg

The Throttle Only button is stuck depressed. The plastic piece you push on is loose, its what THAT pushes on that seems to be stuck and not popping back out. Any ideas what I can do to un-stick this?

Thanks!
Phil

Attachments

• throttle.jpg
    throttle.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
this is what I have done in the past: spray some WD 40 in the area there behind the button, use the handle of a screw driver and tap the controls with about a thousand light taps. the oil and light vibration help to get it unstuck.

hckrphil

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'll give that a shot tonight Scott......... I'll bring a rubber mallet :) It never ends with this boat i swear!

Phil

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I don't think a rubber mallet would work, maybe the handle.. its repetitive small vibrations. same a stuck key on GM vehicles from a failed tumbler spring

hckrphil

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've got the throttle out where I was able to open the backside of it. Does anyone have a diagram as to HOW this is supposed to work? When I move the lever forward and backwards, the shifter linkage (the one with the black S above it) clearly does not move. The linkage with the black T (throttle) moves fine.

Throttle in the neutral position:
20160909_185726.jpg

Throttle in reverse:
20160909_185755.jpg

Anywhere I should be looking? Shouldn't I be able to push it back out from behind here near the spring?

Maybe something is in there (small piece of broken plastic from previous throttle only button? HMMMMMmmmmmm.

Phil

Attachments

• 20160909_185726.jpg
    20160909_185726.jpg
    293.1 KB · Views: 1

hckrphil

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I THINK I have this figured out now.... That little pin I'm holding fell out on me when I took it apart.... When you push the throttle only button, it disengages the shifting gear..... when you rotate the assembly, it pops back in to place (goes back in gear).... mine must have gotten out of wack somehow... Re-assembling tomorrow, fingers crossed it works!!!!

throttle2.jpg
throttle1.jpg

Attachments

• throttle2.jpg
    throttle2.jpg
    345.1 KB · Views: 1

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Put a little grease on the pin when you reassemble

hckrphil

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Lubed up everything as I was re-assembling..... Everything is working now... still not 100% sure WHY it stopped working in the first place....... but all is good for now :)

Phil

Scott Danforth

Staff member
It stopped working because boats have gremlins