Throttle issue... stays engaged

efdog

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Throttle issue... stays engaged

ummmm, I think I've found my issue...and let me just remind everyone, that I recently purchased this boat, so none of what you will see here are my doings...

I'll let the pics do the talking

2c7edfff.jpg

Yes this is a wingnut in my bottom carb!!!

d8d96eb5.jpg

d7750c85.jpg

This is a wingnut from the flywheel cover. How did it get in there? Your guess is as good as mine, but the starter is new, so my best guess, is that the bozo took off the air cover to the carbs, then took off the cover to the flywheel, and the nut "disappeared".

So I'm thinking that once I got to certain rpm's this wingnut would lodge itself, holding the carb open, even when I pull off the throttle? Does this make sense?

I won't get a chance to take it onto the water for a couple days.

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Im betting my left one that it will run fine now.What a great find inspector!!
Still check they all open and close together.
Unfortunately some mechanics dont love your motor as much as you do,resulting in lazy dumb as##@#$ mistakes.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Why I'll be dipped! I've been looking at your thread since you started it and thought you had a bad throttle cable, ef. Good thing it was a wingnut and not a regular nut. If it had made it through the carb - YIKES. I think you got the problem licked.

efdog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yup, they're opening and closing as they're supposed to. You're right, it's a good thing it was a wingnut, and plastic one at that. Just hoping I didn't do engine damage, as I'm sure that bottom carb wasn't getting proper fuel / oil etc. I'll have it back out tonight to make sure all is well.

Thanks everyone!

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

Gotta have been the prob. Great job. Happy boating!

efdog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Success!! Had the boat out for 45 mins or so. Could not duplicate the issue, so I guess it's confirmed that the wingnut who last worked on this engine lost a wingnut in the engine.

Cheers!

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Dropped a nut into motor once and took hours to find it.Some how made its way into air box through tiny channel.The rattle gave it away when i tilted motor lol.