Throttle adjustment

GEL

Recruit
Hi. When I try to start my Volvo 5.0L GiPEFS, I need to advance the throttle a little or it will not turnover. If I leave throttle straight up, it cranks but doesn’t start. Can someone tell me how I can adjust this? Thank you.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,.... Have ya done any sorta tune up on it,..??

Fuel filter,..?? checked the spark plugs,..??

I believe the "i" means it's an electronic fuel injection,..?? Right,..??

If so, the issue is something other than the throttle cable adjustment,....

GEL

Recruit
Just changed plugs, filter when I changed the headers, risers. Thanks.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Is it mpi? Maybe need an IAC valve
when my buddy’s died only way to get it running was to advance the throttle in neutral flip it back to idle and into drive real quick

alldodge

Staff member
Being a GIPEFS it would be EFI using TBI.

Your symptoms would lean me toward the IAC and/or or the IAC path way is clogging up and dirty.

Wants the motor starts does it idle ok?
After it has started once does the throttle need to be opened some each time to start or is it no longer needs that?

GEL

Recruit
Being a GIPEFS it would be EFI using TBI.

Your symptoms would lean me toward the IAC and/or or the IAC path way is clogging up and dirty.

Wants the motor starts does it idle ok?
After it has started once does the throttle need to be opened some each time to start or is it no longer needs that?
Once it starts, idles fine. It depends on how long it is off 5-10 minutes it starts fine. Much longer, needs to be advanced again to start.

alldodge

Staff member
Could be the IAC is sticking. Carefully remove, and clean with soap and water. Don't use caustic chems on it, and reinstall.

While its out and cold, turn the key to ON and see if it moves in and back out a little