Thrifty Table saw....

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Thrifty Table saw....

I asked a question like this a while back in another post (http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=37;t=000819#000000). I decided to go with a table saw because everything you can do with a miter saw, you can do with a table saw, but keep in mind that for miter cuts, a miter saw will give you better results. For the mostely straight cross-cut cuts you're going to be doing for the floor, it won't matter either way as long as you firmly hold the material in place while you push it across the blade. If you were putting up chair rail or crown molding..or building picture frames, I'd say get the miter.

dolluper

Captain

I vote for the table it's cheap it will do the job but if your doing alot of molding rent the compound mitre

dolluper

Captain

Table saw it'll do it rent a goog mire saw if you have to

Ralph 123

Captain

I do a lot of woodworking and home improvement. I use my miter saw 80% and table saw 20%. You'll also pay less for a decent miter saw than you will for a decent table saw. Miter saws are smaller and lighter than table saws so they are more portable.<br /><br />When doing a floor, you will most likely be cross cutting every row you lay. You want the saw right next to you and move it as you go. That's easy to do with a miter saw but harder with a bigger, heavier table saw. On the very last row you lay you may need to do some ripping to fit the last row. You can do that with a regular circular saw. So, I wouldn't even bother renting a table saw. If you have any complicated cuts use a jig saw.

rogerwa

Commander

Agree with Ralph. The Mitre does the precise cuts much better. Usually when ripping the circular will do an adequate job.<br /><br />My table saw is cumbersome to store and get out for use. And I still need a mitre saw.<br /><br />Put it this way.. If you have a mitre saw you can get away with not having a table saw. It doesn't work so easy the other way..

Fly Rod

Commander

:) 35 years of using either or, you will find that 80% of the time you will use miter box more!!!<br /><br />And remember "NEVER REACH ACROSS THE MITER SAW TO GRAB THE OTHER PIECE OF WOOD!!!!! or you may lose your hand at the wrist!!!!!! ;) :cool: <br /><br />And when using the table saw make sure the cuffs of your shirt are buttoned on close cuts to the blade!!! ;) :cool:

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Invest in a carbide blade. They make very clean cuts and there's a lot less stress on the motor. I have a similar Skil table saw and I got a carbide blade for it right away. Sawed thru nails and everything and it's still sharp. I don't even know where I put the one that came with it. No matter, it would just be a Frisbee for the neighbor's vicious dog anyhow. "Here Fido, catch this!" ;)

Bass Man Bruce

Lieutenant

WillyBWright, you hotdog. You hit the nail on the head. The blade is as important as the saw. But, for cross cutting you cannot beat a good mitre saw. However, for general wood working, a table saw is a must. It will do everything.

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

If it wern't for ryobi 99 doller tools (table, miter, router) I wouldn't have a wood shop...After several years of using a dewalt 14.4 volt cordless set the ryobi's seem like a cabinet shop to me.<br /><br />Oh sure I would love to be able to spend unlimited dollers on top of the line equipment but that just aint in the cards, I love them and if and when I overwork and kill them I'll throw it in the dumpster and start over.<br /><br />Yes you are not able to push a presure treated 2x4 through it at warp speed nor is the table large enoufgh to lay a sheet of 4x8x3/4 plywood and rip by yourself but hey I knew that when I was looking at 99doller tools.<br /><br />I love it...considering what I spent on them.

Link

Rear Admiral

rogerwa <br />
I bought the Sears model with legs and extentions that go out both sides and in the rear to support your work. I paid $199 a few years ago. <br /><br />I found that the cheaper saws, like mine, really suffer on the fence.
Your correct. But I always check both the front and back of the blade anyway. Old school I guess<br /><br />eeboater<br />A lot of good advice here and even though I still vote for the table saw, I must agree that 80% + of all the cutting I do is done with the miter saw.<br />Not trying to start a fight here rogerwa but stay away from that POStuff that HF sells. I needed to cut some 8" siding and borrowed a friends HF Sliding miter saw... wouldnt make the same cut twice in a row. <br />Might be cost effective to buy both.<br />Let us know what you do.

eeboater

Commander

Ugh... this is a tough decision. It's about 50/50 either way here. Although I'm a bit confused by a statement from Rogerwa<br /><br />
Put it this way.. If you have a mitre saw you can get away with not having a table saw. It doesn't work so easy the other way..
You can't rip wood with a mitre saw, but you can cut wood in half with a table saw simply by turning the wood sideways... right?

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hey EE,<br /><br />After you make up your mind which one you're going to get, please let us know if you're going to use shrink tube, solder, and electrical tape with it and also if you're going to use synthetic or fosil oil. :) <br /><br />Sorry..couldn't help it. :)

rogerwa

Commander

You can use the circular saw to rip the lengths effectively. the Mitre cuts on a table saw in my experience are harder.<br /><br />If you have a piece of wood to trim, you have to move the whole piece and feed it through the saw. On a small piece it is pretty easy. On a long piece is very difficult to feed it straight.

rogerwa

Commander

Link agree on the HF stuff. Although cheap tools do have their place.. I bought an air hammer from them for $5.99 to remove wall and floor tile. It worked great. I felt like a real smartguy with that deal.

Link

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by rogerwa:<br /> Link agree on the HF stuff. Although cheap tools do have their place.. I bought an air hammer from them for $5.99 to remove wall and floor tile. It worked great. I felt like a real smartguy with that deal.
Oh I agree and buy a LOT of stuff from HF. (dont we all) ;) <br />Its just "that" sliding compound miter saw I have tried and it would make a preacher swear! :eek: <br />Worked great for straight cuts but thats it.<br />BTW I was polite and just borrowed another friends $600 DeWalt and finished the job :D then returned the HF saw to Keith and thanked him.<br />No reason to insult him on his choice of tools.

eeboater

Commander

You know... the ultimate solution to this problem is for me to just rent both tools from Home Depot. But renting is just soo... sooo... common-sense-like, economical, problem solving...<br /><br />But... It am male. I like power tools. And I'm really not sure I can deal with giving me something and taking it away like that. <br /><br />Try giving a woman a new pair of shoes for a 24 hour period... then tell her she has to take them back to the store with thousands of other shoes she'd like to buy :D

spratt

Lieutenant

Those who agree on teh quality of hte blade are 100% right on, though this is not an issue too much for what EE is doing...a high quality carbide blade can make a cut that will leave a totally finished cut on a board, requiring no sanding at all!!! I have paid upwards of a$100 for a good blade, and all carbide blades are not created equally.<br /><br />To get in on this post rightfully though, I do agree that the Miter saw will be the best bet for the job you are going to do Sean!! The table say will work nicely, but there is no "set up" for the miter saw, just lay the board down and cut on the line. A table saw requires some setup, though for basic cross cuts, not much.

dhammann

Petty Officer 1st Class

eeboater, Laminate does not demand a precision cut since all cuts on one side of the room and covered with quarter round molding. You will mostly be cross cutting but will also have to do some ripping. The table saw will do both. For about 200 bucks you can have both Chinese saws….for home use they will be just fine.

Fly Rod

Commander

Originally posted by FlatBottoms:<br /><br /> just lay the board down and cut on the line.
:) You leave the line!!!! :D :cool:

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I have a Makita very much like that. Bought it in 1988 for about $150 or so. It works great. The carbide tipped blade has not dulled yet and it has eaten a few nails in its time. I use it with the safety guide off so I can see what I'm doing, but alwaysuse a pusher stick for close finger work. Still have all my fingers. <br /><br />You can make good miter cuts, but it requires that a wood block be attached to the guide and fine sand paper glued to the block. The sand paper helps hold the piece in position so that the drag of the blade will not shift the piece as it's cut. But I would prefer a mitre saw if doing a floor.<br /><br />This table saw is great for ripping anything precisely and a whole lot of other cuts that you can't do well with a hand held circular saw.<br /><br />Check out the quality of build before buying. These saws come in a wide price range with varying quality and precision to match.