Thread title: Tarp Support *OR* Beating a Dead Horse!

Subliminal

Chief Petty Officer
So, I got my used 12x24 billboard in the mail yesterday. It's a real beaut! Some bank I've never heard of. Partners. Trust. Customer Service.

Something like that.

Anyway, I've been really trying to think how I'd like to cover my boat this year.

I think I'd like to leave on the two form fitting covers, as I feel they'll keep critters out, and the main top is vented to let it breathe a little bit. Picture below for reference...

Outside%20side.jpg

Anyway, I've got this billboard and I'm thinking I'd like to make a frame out of PVC...probably 4 inch, since I already have some, and it's stout enough to hold up to a little snow (we got about 2 feet at one point last year, and I was out of town for a few days while it was happening).

Anyway, I guess I just want to know what people think of leaving the snap on covers on, and then giving a little air space underneath the tarpage.

I sat outside and just looked at the boat for about an hour last night, trying to figure out the best way to go about it.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Thread title: Tarp Support *OR* Beating a Dead Horse!

Anyway, I guess I just want to know what people think of leaving the snap on covers on, and then giving a little air space underneath the tarpage.

I think that sounds like a good idea.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

you need some circulation, or you will get mildew on the upholstery.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I'm not sure what the reference to a billboard is; I'd just leave it like it is. Are you talking about putting something else on top? No point in uglying it up, and you may create ventilation problems that way. Lay some boards across the gunwales or put a saw horse in there if you need support for the center.

Subliminal

Chief Petty Officer

The used billboard is a 22mil tarp. It's super heavy duty, so it should last more than a few years. The covers on the boat aren't good enough to keep all moisture out, so i wanted to cover it nicer so it'll be totally out of the elements during the winter.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

If you have the room I would create a ridge line, through the tarp over and then stake the perimeter out making the tarp taut. Steep enought to shed snow.

Ridge line could be your 4"pvc and acouple of verticals to make it look like an old style swing set.
Or a cable stretched between two trees.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

we have similar boats but I took my bow and cockpit covers off(I want to have the snaps replaced this off season) what I did was take 1 1/2" PVC and built 3 vertical posts which two set in my floor table pockets and the center is just an upside down "T". I then made a 25' spine(all joints glued together) from 1 1/2" PVC and joined the spine to the posts using "T" joints. so now I have a pretty sturdy spine that stands 7' above the floor of the boat. Now I use 1/4" poly rope and tied the spine to each cleat several places around the perimeter of the boat to solidify the strength of the spine as well as to reinforce the tarp. Bought a 20'X30' tarp from Home Depot and wrapped the boat. The way mine is set up I can easily open up either end to allow it to air out meanwhile I should have plenty of slope to keep my heavy snows from sticking to the tarp. Total bill about $95

There is a bit more to it (I got a bit out of control) and if your interested let me know.