Thoughts on the 2019 tracker targa v18 combo

procraftguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So about to pull the trigger on the targa v18 combo my wife loves it I like it it fits the budget any thoughts ?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Why are you asking?

You like it. The Admiral likes it. :D

procraftguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm asking because it's my first new boat although I have built a few the price tag is more then I expected for new boats in this class and I don't wanna be kicking myself later with that said Tuesday or Wednesday my new electronics should be installed and I'm off to the lake šŸ˜

procraftguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
And when I say built I mean from old hull and rebuilt with my touch added

jkust

Rear Admiral
Tracker is ultra entry level pricepoint stuff. Fine if that's ok with you. Entry level is less expensive 'not for no reason'. I won't even consider a Tracker as I'm sort of in the market for a fishing boat to add to the fleet. Plenty of other options out there. That's the beauty of used. All that said, I don't know any of your specifics as you mentioned it's been rebuilt.

procraftguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for the input jkust but for an entry level boat it test drove better then crestliner 1850 ,1800 Lowe fish machine and had lifetime structural warranty motor was same on all three. Mercury 150 4 stroke lund was very poor fit and finish compared to all others ??? The one I looked at. Didn't test drive wife said no way .love my friends 10 year old lund but nowhere close to same quality not starting anything just my opinion. I liked the StarCraft best but couldn't justify the extra 11 k for slightly different setup .12 hrs in I am very happy so far no issues also should note only boat I could get credit for the stock electronics it came with at my local tracker dealer .

ahicks

Captain
I would want to know all of the details surrounding/exactly what is covered under that "lifetime structural" warranty. Like leaks, flooring and transoms for instance.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Doesn't matter what we think. Your money, your decision. Personally if I were to get back into boating at 77 it would be with a boat like this ad for a used Tracker: [h=2]bass tracker pro guide v-175 sc merc opti 115 - $9300.[/h]

jkust

Rear Admiral
Thanks for the input jkust but for an entry level boat it test drove better then crestliner 1850 ,1800 Lowe fish machine and had lifetime structural warranty motor was same on all three. Mercury 150 4 stroke lund was very poor fit and finish compared to all others ??? The one I looked at. Didn't test drive wife said no way .love my friends 10 year old lund but nowhere close to same quality not starting anything just my opinion. I liked the StarCraft best but couldn't justify the extra 11 k for slightly different setup .12 hrs in I am very happy so far no issues also should note only boat I could get credit for the stock electronics it came with at my local tracker dealer .

That's all very nice to hear actually. Tahoe/Tracker fiberglass boats get a very bad rap as well for their quality over the long run as well as fit and finish. I just saw a commercial for Tracker brand side by side's (think Polaris RZR) and my immediate thought was negative. Interesting to hear that the Tracker was better in initial quality when you compared side by side.

procraftguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ahicks good question. one I actually looked into basically every thing that's not mechanical like carpet hinges electronics and vinyl but that is across the board on all boats they do have wood decks in the targa boats but they cover that as well that surprised me. after alot of research there warranty is the best out there I'm not saying it's the best boat as I mentioned it was a tough choice bettween the StarCraft and the tracker for what I wanted but ultimately the front pads ski bar and price of the combo hooked my wife and I'm sure we all know the saying so...

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I had a friend that owned a Tracker. I personally owned a Starcraft. Mine was 9 years old when i sold it, and it still looked and ran like new. In contrast, the Tracker's fit and finish right at the onset was inferior, and it seemed a lot of parts broke or fell apart in the same time period.

You get what you pay for.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Crackers, er Trackers have taken quite a beating on this and many other sites over the years. I saw some at that Bass store outside the entrance a few weeks back, they sure are perdy, that's all I will say. I want to congratulate you on your 1st ever brand spankin' new boat. My 1st ever new for me vehicle was a brand new Silverado in 2011. The first scratch I found on it wanted to make me cry, the 2nd the same. 8 years and 155,000 KMS it still hurts but not as much, it's just a truck my wife says, yea but it's my truck. Buy plenty of big fenders for her, that 1st dock rash is gonna' hurt big time. If you and the 1st mate loves it that's all that counts. Happy boating.

edit: I just re read your 1st post. Did you already buy it or are you contemplating? If you are still shopping keep shopping. Don't be blinded by the nice clean shiny boat.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
For some reason I can't delete my edit. From your 1st post it sounded like you had not bought it, a few posts later it sounds like you did buy it. If you did buy, disregard the edit, if you have net yet bought then that is my advice to you guys. A big reason it's 11 grand more for a StarCraft.

procraftguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Old ironmaker I did purchase the tracker and have no regrets I know what you mean about the older trackers my friend has fixed alot on his bass tracker although he still likes it for river fishing stealhead I feel tracker has really stepped up there game on this boat nothing feels cheap and we'll thought out but will see I'll probably do a review after a year and so on sometimes it is you pay for what you get but not always and that's from experience some times it's just a great deal and somtimes it's a shiny turd time will tell .as far as running the only boat that didn't have the same motor was the g3 it had a Yamaha I didn't mention that because the only dealer around didn't have a combo / fish ski model to test out so that was ruled out as a contender .