This should be an easy one for somebody - Evinrude 175 Steering Arm Question

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
Thanks, Capt. Bob. But if I disconnect the steering arm, how could it still be attached to the mid-section?

the steering arm is NOT this little piece that falls to the ground when the bolts that hold the motor mounts to the block!!!!!

you are NOT taking the steering arm off!!!...you are ONLY disconnecting it from the mounts!!!!..the bolts go through the steering arm and through the mounts and into the block!!!!!... the steering arm is held in its place in other means...it is part of a pivot tube/shaft that goes DOWN through the transom bracket and it held on from the bottom.......some how you are totally missing how the steering arm is attached to the complete motor!!.....very seldom does a steering arm come off.....power heads come off 10 times more often than a steering arm...maybe even MORE!!

bob

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
here is a picture of a v4 60 degree looper motor with the power head already off... you can see the forged steel steering arm still in place and it is attached securely to a verticle spindle tube that goes down through the movable part of the TNT stern bracket

2iu2gso.jpg

it would still take a LOT of work to remove this steering arm even from this position!!!

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Are the motor mounts attached to the powerhead or the exhaust housing?
The upper motor mounts are in the block itself on the bottom of powerhead.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
Thanks again for all this expert advice - probably all will be revealed when I crack the engine open.

But I'm still a little confused: Fazbullet, you say that the bolts go through the steering arm into the powerhead. But iteralian seems to say above that the motor mounts are "bolted to the exhaust housing". Are the motor mounts attached to the powerhead or the exhaust housing?

I looked up my pictures and I found one of my 1988 evenirude 70 hp, and sure enough the steering arm and the upper mounts, bolt to the Exhaust housing!!, but on this style motor ( 60 degree looper at least) the upper mounts bolt to the power head.... that why there maybe some confusing......how motors are put together and run , changes over the years......

bob

Ichthyus

Cadet
You guys have been extremely generous with your time and expertise - I am very grateful. Mac