This should be an easy one for somebody - Evinrude 175 Steering Arm Question

Ichthyus

Cadet
Hi! I have an Evinrude Intruder 175 (GLERA) 1994. I need to pull the powerhead to change the gasket between the powerhead and the Exhaust section - the gasket is blowing water.

I cannot figure out whether the steering arm bolts to the powerhead or to the Mid (exhaust) section! My manual (Clymer) makes no mention of it in the instructions to pull the powerhead. And it seems like if it were attached to the powerhead I would bend the heck out of it lifting the powerhead off.

Has anyone a clue to offer me? I'm an OK mechanic but I've never done an outboard. Thanks! Mac in Annapolis

Ichthyus

Cadet
THANKS! So...it's bolted to the exhaust and I can pull the powerhead off without messing with the steering arm at all???

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
delete sorry about that I forgot that motor does have them in the powerhead I was thinking of a crossflow V4 for some reason.

Last edited:

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
HOLD UP....Yes the steering arm mounts to powerhead as motor mounts are in powerhead base. When reinstalling torque the 2 bolts to 100ft lbs,want 20-30 minutes and retorque again.

Last edited:

Ichthyus

Cadet
Ok, I'm just a little confused now...please bear with me. If the steering arm is bolted to the powerhead, won't the whole engine roll around on the lower mounts if I pull the steering arm bolts? Or do I need to support it first??? ANd why does the manual make no mention of the steering arm in the instructions for pulling the powerhead?

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Yes you will need to support it Clymer does not mention a lot of things not the best manual for you Factory is best.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Clymer manuals are best for reading on toilet and then using pages to wipe. Trim the motor down with skag on piece of lumber and remove the to upper bolts, if you don't it will lean back adding pressure to lower mounts and bend the shift shaft rod slightly.....

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
Ok, I'm just a little confused now...please bear with me. If the steering arm is bolted to the powerhead, won't the whole engine roll around on the lower mounts if I pull the steering arm bolts? Or do I need to support it first??? ANd why does the manual make no mention of the steering arm in the instructions for pulling the powerhead?

because you DONT have the Manual!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Clymer and Seloc are so basic and representative of a broad range of motors and years...it cant detail even a fraction of what a factory manual does.

J-E factory manuals are for a very specific motor family( hp or style) and they are issued for EACH year..... the factory manual for your motor will only deal with 1994 models in 60 degree V configuration and only for horsepowers, 150, and 175 most likely( I have manuals for 1995 and later that also include the V4 versions...in 1994 there were no V4 versions of your motor style)

Ichthyus

Cadet
Thanks, guys, I have consulted the OMC manual. It also does not address the steering bar in the powerhead removal process. And contrary to the information above, it appears that the steering bar does NOT attach to the powerhead, at least not directly. It attaches through the an intermediate rubberized motor mount kit. Here is my essential question: Can I pull the powerhead without detaching the steering arm - and that goes to: how are the upper motor mounts attached to the motor? The exploded diagrams are unclear (to me) Thanks! Mac

Ichthyus

Cadet
PS. Thanks also for your unvarnished opinions regarding the Clymer manual, which I will duly follow. I appreciate your forbearance in suggesting that this product is appropriate for personal wiping rather than suggesting an all-at-once insertion maneuver.:)

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
you have to at least unbolt the steering arm( an iron casting!!) from the MOTOR mount, to remove the power head...just no way around it... the manual does address this, " remove the screws retaining the power head to exhaust housing and steering arm bracket.... the steering arm BASICALLY is not REMOVED, but it is...disconnected!!!!!!!!!!!!.....might be a play on words to some...but when you do remove the power head the steering arm is still attached as it was to the midsection I believe.....

Ichthyus

Cadet
Thanks, Capt. Bob. But if I disconnect the steering arm, how could it still be attached to the mid-section?

Ichthyus

Cadet
Thanks interalian - but that would be the lower engine mounts, not the steering arm, right?

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Give us a pic of what you are talking about because the lower motor Mounts hold the lower portion of the steering assembly to the center section.

Last edited:

interalian

Commander
Steering arm/tube #20 passes through #1 bracket, keys to #13 and is secured with nut #14. #13 bolts to the lower motor mounts which are bolted to the exhaust housing.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
HOLD UP....Yes the steering arm mounts to powerhead as motor mounts are in powerhead base. When reinstalling torque the 2 bolts to 100ft lbs,want 20-30 minutes and retorque again
Let me clear this up a tad....the upper motor mounts are in the bottom of the powerhead. There are (2) 1/2" bolts that go thru the steering arm into the bottom of powerhead, these HAVE to be removed to remove powerhead but the steering arm will stay in place as its mounted in swivel bracket.

Ichthyus

Cadet
Thanks again for all this expert advice - probably all will be revealed when I crack the engine open.

But I'm still a little confused: Fazbullet, you say that the bolts go through the steering arm into the powerhead. But iteralian seems to say above that the motor mounts are "bolted to the exhaust housing". Are the motor mounts attached to the powerhead or the exhaust housing?

interalian

Commander
Thanks again for all this expert advice - probably all will be revealed when I crack the engine open.

But I'm still a little confused: Fazbullet, you say that the bolts go through the steering arm into the powerhead. But iteralian seems to say above that the motor mounts are "bolted to the exhaust housing". Are the motor mounts attached to the powerhead or the exhaust housing?

The lower mounts are bolted to the exhaust housing, down low by the cavitation plate. Look at the picture I posted - #40 is one of two bolts that go to the power head mounts. The steering arm stays in the motor bracket.