This is too much...

Skinnywater

Commander
Re: This is too much...

how come you guys drive so many V8's?
*Because we don't all live on an island the size of one state here.<br />*Because we're capitalists, we drive what we can afford.<br />*Because after WW2, the US spent vast sums building a massive interstate highway system instead of mass transportation systems. This was done because we were put in the position of protecting much of the world. The highway system was designed to move massive amounts of military machines, industrial goods and commodities. Most of these items were for export.<br /><br />So in a round-about way, it was our desire to drive V8's that allowed US to build hundreds of thousands of B17's, Liberty ships, tanks, Jeeps, and P47's that flooded your Island to help defeat Germany and Japan.<br /><br />I'm hoping our V8's aren't putting you out to much. ;)

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

hehehehe nah in reality I'm just jealous...<br /><br />I think the v12 BMW may well have been just for the American market as I've never seen one.There's v12 Jaguars and Mercedes too but they are relatively rare over here too. <br /><br /><br />Best V8 I ever saw was a 5.7 litre Chevy engine that an acquaintance bolted a set of forks and a rear axle to without a gearbox, using the engine as the chassis. He bolted a steel tractor seat on top and a fuel tank under that.<br /><br />Most insane trike I ever saw....

QC

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by DJ:<br /> The US is the GREENEST country on the planet.<br />
BTW, when the Brits say green they mean Hydrocarbon Emissions AKA Greenhouse Gasses (GHGs). They call what we generally refer to as emissions, pollutants. Anyway, this is what I call the Emissions DuJour Syndrome. Bascially, the Europeans are concentrating on GHGs as we have always concentrated on more specific pollutants. Our vehicles generally have much lower Oxides of Nitrogen (NOx) emissions which has been the emission DuJour for the last 20 years here. Before that we were up in arms about Carbon Monoxide and Hydrocarbons, that's why we have catalytic converters and lead free gasoline (petrol :D ). Particulate Emissions started to become the newest focus here, but I am seeing a shift to GHGs which is going to cause some interesting conflicts. The fact is that the quickest and cheapest way to reduce GHGs from US vehicles is to switch from gasoline to diesel. Diesels have inherently higher NOx and particulate emissions, although some (but nowhere near all) of that disparity can be improved with various expensive technologies. Diesels are on average around 30% better on fuel (not because the fuel holds slightly more energy, but that is another discussion).<br /><br />Another fact is that the Brits have switched to smaller cars with less power and more diesels for one reason . . . money. It is not because they held a nationwide meeting and decided as a group that they were more concerned about the environment than Americans, it is becasue they pay damn close to $8.00 a gallon for any fuel! It is called taxes, oh and don't get sucked into believing they actually pay any more for the liquid, they just pay more for the right to use it. ;) <br /><br />The point? Our vehicles are definitely cleaner out the tailpipe, but their vehicles are generally better on fuel. So when DJ says that we are Greener, Nos4r2 just laughs. Back to the "two nations divided by a common language" thing.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

The solution to all of the problems is nuclear, but the environmentalist wont have it.<br /><br />How many nuclear plants are there in the world, and how many accidents have there been?<br /><br />3 mile island was pure stupidity.<br /><br />Chernoble was a pile of junk disaster waiting to happen.<br /><br />Ken

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

That's an interesting point Quietcat. We have cats on most 4 wheel stuff over here now too- but the big bugbear is that to make a catalytic converter it causes more damage to the environment than the cat cleans up-unless you're in a 3.5 litre+ vehicle with the resulting fuel economy and longevity. Catch 22...<br /><br />BTW, we've never had big engined stuff commonplace over here. The manufacturers simply don't make it at an affordable price-and never have. Maybe we would have got them if fuel prices weren't so darn ridiculous...<br /><br /><br />Nuclear power will always be a big bone of contention while it's either <br />A) Run by the government and subject to spending cuts<br /><br />B)Run by the accountants as private industry.<br /><br /><br />We've got Sellafield over here-and the "circle of Leukemia" that surrounds it is multiples of the national average-but it's safe-honest!

QC

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by KenImpZoom:<br /> The solution to all of the problems is nuclear, but the environmentalist wont have it.<br />
Yup, just like the DDT thing. Environmentalists are all about emotion. I work with them every day. :mad: Nuclear is the safest and cleanest option, it extends the available oil and gas reserves for other uses and could make up for the FACT that the Hydrogen Economy is a major joke that does nothing other than distract us from viable alternatives.<br /><br />Hydrogen, the fuel of the future and it always will be . . . ;)

Originally posted by Quietcat:<br />
Originally posted by KenImpZoom:<br /> The solution to all of the problems is nuclear<br />
Environmentalists are all about emotion. I work with them every day. :mad: <br /><br />Hydrogen, the fuel of the future and it always will be . . . ;)
Who do you work for? DWP? or maybe Dupont?

QC

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by technostupeedo:<br />
Who do you work for? DWP? or maybe Dupont?
I could tell you, but I'd have to . . .<br /><br />Actually I am in the alternate fuel business and we generally concentrate on heavy-duty trucks. Forces us to work with oil companies, vehicle manufacturers, enviros and politicians. Strange bedfellows . . .