This is too much...

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: This is too much...

Wind farms? So that's what they are.<br /><br />I thought CA was using those airplane looking things to try to keep from falling off into the Pacific.<br /><br />If those stupid birds would just quit smoking the weeds they would have enough sense to stay the heck out of the way.

eeboater

Commander

Originally posted by JB:<br /> I thought CA was using those airplane looking things to try to keep from falling off into the Pacific.
LMAO!!!!! Thats hilarius!

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Funny, but sad for the birds. Guess they will have to start choking to death on the coal fumes!!!<br /><br />Ken

gspig

Chief Petty Officer

How are the enviros suppossed to charge their electric cars? No oil, no coal, no nuclear, now no wind.

CJY

Lieutenant Junior Grade

On the behalf of whom are they suing? The parents of the dead birds? On their own behalf? So, if I understand this, if my neighbor is driving his car, say above the speed limit, which causes some unsuspecting bird to die because of his misjudgment caused by the excessive speed, I can take him to court and get money? Or maybe I would just have him forced to buy a car that cannot exceed the speed limits. Nice! and only in America. I think I will go to Mickey D's drive thru to buy a cup of hot coffee with no lid.<br />Happy flying,<br />John

JRJ

Commander

They are a heap of ugly. I hope they tear them all down. Look for 'em on ebay. You can have one in your back yard :D They can double as a chicken plucker :p

Homerr

Commander

Only in America...<br /><br /> :) <br /><br /><br />H.

PW2

Commander

I don't understand the premise of your original joy at this story, and why precisely you assume all these people are somehow politically on the left.<br /><br />You have, on the one hand, a group that wants to produce power, which we all agree we need, and wants to do it profitably, which is a good right wing value, but is apparently killing some birds--some of which on the endangered list, and they are trying to resolve this.<br /><br />Now I don't know all the ins and outs of the issues involved, but I do know that because of environmentalists, and the banning of DDT, eagles for one are making a comeback from the brink of extinction, and that if anyone gets a chance to see an eagle in the wild swoop down and grab a salmon as I have, they all watch in wonder and awe...whatever their political persuasion.<br /><br />I guess the notion that man can coexist with nature, and should try to minimize their impact on nature, is not one of those trumpeted republican values that we all hear about, like what happens in someone's bedroom.

chuckz

Chief Petty Officer

PW2,<br /><br />You make the point without knowing it. DDT had NOTHING to do with thin egg shells and bird population decrease. The environmentalist had an agenda, eliminate DDT, and used bad science to acheive their goals. It was positively proven that heavy metals was the cause of thin egg shells.<br /><br />There is more DDT in use worldwide today than before the band took effect because the increase of mosquito borne diseases out weighed the supposed risks of DDT.<br /><br />This is only one example of bad science. Research the spotted owl and the snail darter. You'll find that the premise for protecting their habitates at the cost of human well being were bogus.<br /><br />Check out the pollution of the bay up in Alaska by crude oil. More crude oil seeps from the ground underwater than was every dummped by ships, including the Exxon Valdez.<br /><br />I have no problem with sound environmental policies. The problem is we have environmentalist that value wildlife above human life and are willing to use any means necessary to acheive their goals.

fireman57

Captain

PW2 you did the exact thing that you accused others of doing. Assuming. You assumed that all the posters are on the right. You may be right but then they may be also. L.I. Chuck does have his facts right.

Originally posted by fireman57:<br /> PW2 you did the exact thing that you accused others of doing. Assuming. You assumed that all the posters are on the right. You may be right but then they may be also. L.I. Chuck does have his facts right.
little chuck doesn't know diddley about DDT. The ban was exacted for greater and far reaching reasons than the bird population. DDT will kill left wingers, moderates and even those big dude right wingers, but mosquitos thrive on it... <br />"It is an ill wind that blows no one no good."

PW2

Commander

I only reacted with the original poster, that suggested that is was one group of "leftist" environmentalists arguing with another, and that somehow that was relevant somehow.<br /><br />I am all for good science, and unfortunately environmental science is not always full of absolte truths.<br /><br />I see where even Bush in his speech to the G9 acknowledged that global warming exists, and that it is a problem, and due at least in part to human activity.<br /><br />He did say we were not going to do anything about it, however.<br /><br />And I don't want to get into a DDT debate, but it is no longer legal here in the US. They must have done that for a reason.<br /><br />And all things considered, most rational people and scientists would consider it better environmentally to not spill tanker loads of crude oil I bet.

chuckz

Chief Petty Officer

technstupeedo,<br /><br />Here is a link about DDT not published by environmentalists:<br /> http://dwb.unl.edu/Teacher/NSF/C06/C06Links/www.altgreen.com.au/Chemicals/ddt.html <br /><br />Tell me again about DDT not killing mosquitos. I understand........you're from California.<br /><br />PW2,<br /><br />I agree with dumping crude is a bad idea. What I object to is the over reaction and mis-stating of facts. See technostupeedo for example.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I'm from CA AND I think L.I. Chuck is all over this. BTW, I just drove through one of our windfarms and once you get past the "kinda coolness" they really are butt ugly too . . .<br /><br />JB, The props are turned the wrong way to keep us attached :D

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Clowns to the left of me - Jokers to the right and here I am stuck in the middle.<br /><br />Steelers Wheel - 1970's sometime

QC

Supreme Mariner

The power source that hasn't been mentioned on this thread is Hydroelectric. There are plenty of whackos that want all of our dams torn down too. Say goodbye to some of our favorite lakes . . . :eek: :eek: :eek:

chuckz

Chief Petty Officer

The Long Island Power Authority (LIPA) has proposed putting a wind farm off shore. They may be smarter than I thought, it would make it very difficult to count dead birds :)

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Quote by PW2:<br /><br />"He did say we were not going to do anything about it, however."<br /><br />Nonsense, PW2. He said we were not going to go along with Kyoto. The US is spending more to improve air quality, including so-called "greenhouse gasses" than the next four countries combined.<br /><br />All those signatures to Kyoto have done little or nothing to back up their rhetoric. Kyoto would mean instant depression in this country. Then you tunnel vision libs would all blame GWB for that, too.