This happened today, and in the blistering heat.

1985 Century Mustang

Chief Petty Officer
Luckily I had a Harbor Freight 8 Ton Barrel Jack and some good pieces of wood blocks in my truck, to get it lifted off the ground.

1718906263481.jpg

1985 Century Mustang

Chief Petty Officer
Looking at all that black gook on the eye, I think someone just glued it in. Hopefully the hull ain't busted up to bad, but you have the material to repair it.

The nuts rotted and busted right off. There was remaining threads from the nut on the bolts. That black gook is old silicone.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
If the Nuts had been backing off, the Eye should have, over time, been slowly emerging from the Bow. Maybe the Nuts were too big and after a bit what little Thread Engagement there was, sheared.

Scott06

Admiral
A good warning to all of us with old boats to CHECK THAT! especially with a roller trailer!
Jetskiis too. On older Sea doos like mine they are plastic. A buddy mentioned his broke while towing. When he got where he was going ski was about a foot farther back

1985 Century Mustang

Chief Petty Officer
If the Nuts had been backing off, the Eye should have, over time, been slowly emerging from the Bow. Maybe the Nuts were too big and after a bit what little Thread Engagement there was, sheared.

I fastened the U bolt down with SS hardware, I also doubled up the nuts, used lock washers, and regular SS washers as a backing support to that small u bolt plate that came with the U bolt. Hopefully it lasts another 40 years. 😜

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
You can always build a better boat with your own 2 hands and common sense, than the cheapskates running these companies!
also something to be aware of is fine thread and coarse thread when doing jobs like this, wonder if they mismatched that and cranked them on and stripped the threads?

Pmt133

Petty Officer 1st Class
Dad's had several boats over the years where the factory used stainless u-bolt with non stainless nuts.... My 4 winns included. Had to replace the bow eye about 20 years ago, used stainless nuts for the second go around and so far, so good. Though it still has loosened up... I'm going to re-bed a new block for it since everything else is torn apart lol.

1985 Century Mustang

Chief Petty Officer
Dad's had several boats over the years where the factory used stainless u-bolt with non stainless nuts.... My 4 winns included. Had to replace the bow eye about 20 years ago, used stainless nuts for the second go around and so far, so good. Though it still has loosened up... I'm going to re-bed a new block for it since everything else is torn apart lol.

I don't understand that logic not using SS nuts.

Pmt133

Petty Officer 1st Class
I don't understand that logic not using SS nuts.
Me either, but every single through bolt was like that on the boat, cleats included. Perhaps a lesser grade of stainless on the nuts was used but I've gone through and replaced every single through bolt on that boat over the last 20 years as they all rotted off. Dealing with the same thing on the wellcraft and my buddies sea ray.

1985 Century Mustang

Chief Petty Officer
I did it up way better than the factory did on the U bolt. Stainless washers as the main backing, then the u bolt plate, then stainless lock washers and then double nuts, stainless also. That byatch ain't going nowhere for another 40 years. Fughedaboutit

Last edited:

rolmops

Vice Admiral
I replaced the wood in my boat with a piece of aluminum.
i went to a metal store and from the leftover pile I pulled out out a 2 inch thick end piece.One inch thick would probably have been thick enough. It cost me about 5 bucks. Next I pulled the mostly rotten piece of wood out and cut a copy out of the aluminum chunk. It is really not very hard. Aluminum can be cut like wood with a saw. On top of that, You can drill the holes you need in there. Aluminum will not rot as fast as wood if at all.

tphoyt

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Happy 4th of July. I’m looking forward to reading what we all see at the ramps and on the water this weekend.
Enjoy and stay Safe out there.

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
A good warning to all of us with old boats to CHECK THAT! especially with a roller trailer!
I was just thinking the same thing! I didn't even know there was a wood backing on those things. I never really gave it much thought.