thinking about a toon

mphy98

Lieutenant
I do not know if this is a good thing or bad thing! I live on Eagle Lake in Racine County WI. I have a 20 foot Starcraft and 2 jetskis. I am thinking about a toon for the kids to swim off of and maybe mount a slide somehow. They can do this while I enjoy adult beverages with the other toons that tie up in the middle of the lake. (we do that because it is a shallow weedy lake)
My questions are many. I am not looking to spend a lot as I can do just about anything for repair and replace the furniture if need be. I have seen many for 3k to 6k. It wont go far, just 1/4 mile or so away from the dock and back. BUT what should I look for as far as warning signs. How do I tell if the toons are good? I have heard of welds that are cracked that you cannot see. Is there a wiggle test? Has anyone made a second story so I can add a big slide? Thanks in advance. Bob

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: thinking about a toon

1/4 mile? That's really all the farther you're going? In that case I wouldn't worry about getting one with an engine. You could pull it out and back with one of your other watercraft or use an electric trolling motor for the short trip.
You might be able to buy a boat with an engine and sell the engine for the same or more than you paid for the boat. That would be like getting a boat for free or maybe even better.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

If you're looking for Party Boat Central, you should be looking for a 28' pontoon boat. Longer boats handle heavier loads, and you can build an aluminum deck on them with a sliding board.

You should be looking for one of the better brands of boats, like a Harris Flote Boat. There are a dozen other brands of boats that'd do a good job for you.

Pontoon boats are pretty much bulletproof and troublefree if kept out of the weather and if the upholstery's good and the plywood's sound.

dls322

Petty Officer 1st Class

If your worried about leaky pontoons have them pressure tested. If it's been in the water looking at the scum line on the toons is a good indicator or where they sit. Also if you pull it from he water and have it on the trailer have someone listen for a swish sound of water.

Usually only the longer pontoons have a second level. They make inflatable slides that you can mount on any single deck pontoon. Or build your own setup. Working on these boats are very easy comapared to other water craft, in my opinion

Silver Eagle

Master Chief Petty Officer

Why not just get an old Navy raft,flip it up side down and just pull it out and tie it off.I had a five man one that we put in our swimming pool We had twenty people on it and couldn't sink it.Lot's of fun.