....Think I'd have learned by now.

harringtondav

Commander
Einstein supposedly said "I“the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results”. Questions about if he really said this, but it's also a good definition for stupidity.

At least every two years I smoke my snowblower's auger drive belt. And I change it in a cold garage in January. Each fall when it trades locations with the lawn mower, I consider changing that belt while it's still fairly warm. Nah, it'll be fine.

Well, I smoked it again the other day, and changed it today. 25# of insulated clothing/boots and stiff leather gloves in a 6 deg. F garage. Procrastination feels good at the moment. Sucks when the inevitable happens. IMG_20190126_171158261_HDR.jpg

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Auger belt should last more than 2 years

harringtondav

Commander
Auger belt should last more than 2 years

Mostly self inflicted. My auger tends to freeze down to the housing floor. I know this and try to remember to test it with the starter rope with the lever down, and bust it loose if locked. I've gotten lazy and use an OSHA non approved tie down on that lever to simplify operation. Old snowblower. No fancy joystick like today's. I need to be an octopus to run the darn thing with it's four controls. Then I forget to release the tie down after shut down. Then forget to check for a locked auger before hitting the elec. start. Smoke. Stupid or old age.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Use your foot to smack the auger to break it free

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
CAUTION...I wouldn't use any body part near any snowblower auger. Use a stick or broom handle. I worked with a guy that was missing fingers from exactly that. If you have to service the machine and need to put your hands in there, please remove the spark plug and test for any pressure by moving the auger with a broom handle. Believe me, it sucks when you shake someone's hand and you notice he's missing fingers.

I have 3 snowblowers and have been using them for over 20 years. My garage is also unheated. I've never had an auger freeze to the housing.
I'm guessing that snow accumulated around the auger is melting from the hot machine. Then dripping down and refreezing under the auger. I usually, but not always, try to clean the snow from the outside of the machine and from around the auger before putting it away.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
I wonder...I would think that if your auger was stuck to the housing, you would break a shear pin before you break a belt. I guess the belt is immediately slipping when you start the engine. Where as, if the machine hits something while in motion, then a pin will shear? Probably takes a sudden jolt to shear the pin...

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Using OEM belt?

Fought belt issues with the belly mower on the International for years. Two, maybe three years tops.

Changed out pulleys, new tensioner and idler assembly to no avail. Finally ordered the OEM belt from International. Almost twice the price but going on year 5 with very little sign of wear.

Guessing a subtle difference in cross section (shape) or depth but have never measured both to confirm my suspection

harringtondav

Commander
Using OEM belt?

No. The snowblower is a "FrankenDeere". I replaced the 5 hp Tecumseh with an 8 hp Tecumseh. I bought the auger and drive sheaves from Deere to fit the larger drive shaft and cam PTO shaft, but their spec belt wouldn't fit the auger drive. My blower is 24", and the 8 hp went on their 26"-28" machines.

Per the above, I clean it as well as I can. At one time I placed a 2x4 under the tires to let it drain. Gotta resume that. Also I tend to use that 60% more power. When it comes off the governor it really snorts. If I'd notch back on the drive speed the belts would probably last longer. But power is intoxicating.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Ah! So that machine is a beast! And it tearing up belts! Bummer! I guess you need to search for a beafier belt.

tpenfield

Staff member
I seem to have blown out the auger belt on my souped-up Troy-Bilt 24 . So, while you are at it can you change the belt on my blower. It has a 9.5 hp engine in place of the OEM 5.5 hp. I guess the belt was not ready for that :D

I also have a Toro, which is fine. It is a good idea IMO to have a couple snowblowers. I used to have 5 of them, but sold 2 this fall. Now just 2 at my main house and 1 at the summer house.

harringtondav

Commander
I used to have 5 of them, but sold 2 this fall. Now just 2 at my main house and 1 at the summer house.

I gotta admit, 5 sounds like a bit of a fetish. A spare at home sounds good. But a snowblower at your "summer" home? You gotta admit that has an oxymoron ring to it. :)

Our summer home is drained, shut down and and snowed in this time of year. I'll open it mid March. If I have a burning desire to visit before then, my neighbor will blow a path. I haven't asked him the last 5 yrs. We visited during the first couple winters, but that ice cold bed and flushing the toilet w/a 5 gal bucket got old fast.

harringtondav

Commander
Ah! So that machine is a beast! And it tearing up belts! Bummer! I guess you need to search for a beafier belt.

I've played with the idea of switching the drive to a poly vee belt. That project stays on the C list. It keeps getting bumped down.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Ah the joys of playing with frankenblowers.Did that for years,now I have a toro 8hp powermax and a 32hp Polaris pusher.So cold out now it would take a few hours to heat up the garage with the woodstove.Its times like this that I miss my 100,000 btu oil fired furnace.Problem was that would suckup 5 gallons a day!Maybe a gasline and a ceiling heater will be next.Are you buying Kevlar reinforced belts?

Last edited:

harringtondav

Commander
now I have a toro 8hp powermax
I went to the Deere dealer for a new chute deflector cable. They had a couple Airens snowblowers on display. (I'd by Toro). They sure looked nice, but I've got 2footitus with my boat, and the price for the big model I'd buy would help paying for a new 19' BR.

My frankenDeere is 27 yrs old. But Deere is pretty good at keeping parts available. (I worked as their tractor service parts mfg. ops manager). So as long as parts are available, and I have the sense to make warm weather repairs, frankenDeere is just fine.

82rude

Rear Admiral
I had a deere many moons ago,they were good blowers back then.My friend bought a new 9hp honda trackdrive now were talking moola.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
My shop where the boats sleep never gets below 50 degrees, that is where all winter operations are based.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I am so glad I don't have to know anything about snow blowers.

we might get up to 4" tomorrow. The store shelves will be empty. Seriously. I always thought it was a urban legend until I went to the store a day ahead of a storm.

Wife is planning on how to shift call load to her other centers for up to four days.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I am so glad I don't have to know anything about snow blowers.

we might get up to 4" tomorrow. The store shelves will be empty. Seriously. I always thought it was a urban legend until I went to the store a day ahead of a storm.

Wife is planning on how to shift call load to her other centers for up to four days.

Yeap, we too are schedule to get some winter mix situations tomorrow. And I didn't get to the stores YET. lol But to top that off, our AC/heat-pump STOPPED working yesterday. We called in the situation but told them to wait until today so it didn't turn into an emergency and triple the service call cost. Oh the pain, the pain...

82rude

Rear Admiral
If your not use to winter weather it can be deadly.Can you imagine America waking up tomorrow to southern FLA AND CALI being buried in a couple of feet of snow and -40f!The death toll would be astronomical.