They're still willing to play

sasto

Captain
Re: They're still willing to play

Nice day! Nice fish!....But it's hard not to notice that nice, shiny craft you have. I almost missed you and the fish. :cool:

scipper77

Commander

I see you have one of those marker buoys on the front casting deck. Are the setting up in deep holes yet? Maybe still relating to drop offs?

I'm guessing by the marker that you were fishing some depth related feature and not structure.

For anyone that doesn't know this...

Water freezes at 32?F but it reachest it's maximum density at 39.2?F. This means that at some point in colder climates a situation arises where the warmer water sits on the bottom of the lake. Often times you will find fish sitting in the bottom of "holes". Of course it's not a simple rule as to when fish will prefer to set up in one area or another but it's good to know things like this to look for.

gonefishie

Commander

I see you have one of those marker buoys on the front casting deck. Are the setting up in deep holes yet? Maybe still relating to drop offs?

I'm guessing by the marker that you were fishing some depth related feature and not structure.

No, it was for marking a previously unknown brush pile.

sasto said:
But it's hard not to notice that nice, shiny craft you have. I almost missed you and the fish.

I know, it's easy to do. :D

John_S

Rear Admiral

Glad to see another cold weather bass fisherman. :)

We did some river smallie fishing on Black Friday. Caught a dozen in 14" - 17" range. Water was 38F, air temp rose to about the same, but windy. Fish were more on depth transition spots, vs the expected slow, deeper water, w/stumps, wintering holes.

gonefishie

Commander

Cold is not good enough of an excuse for me to stay home. I went to the river 2 weeks ago and had a similar day to your John. I'm planning on getting on the river this weekend but the heavy rain we've been getting may change that plan. Cold, fast and muddy water make for a bad day on the river.

John_S

Rear Admiral

Cold, fast and muddy water make for a bad day on the river.

100% agree. Unless the stars align for an xmas week outing, that was probably the last time out in the boat for me. :(

JSGOLD

Chief Petty Officer

We had planned on fishing until mid December but our last outing only got us 15-16 smaller bass, the largest 11". We saw bigger fish but they weren't hitting, even with live bait. Our lake we frequent is not very deep in most spots, 6-8 ft being the norm although it has some deeper spots of 10-15'. So we put up our rods for the winter. Darn Catfish weren't hitting either....Glad someone is still catching them!