Check list for replacing floor, transome and stringers.

Darren Nemeth

Chief Petty Officer
I am going to start my first boat project and the rotted transom, floor and stringers all have to be taken out and replaced.

The first thing I need to know is what are the basic tools will I need to start?

For example, Grinder. Which one would work best? Which wheel is best?

Do I really need marine grade plywood for the floor or can I use the next best stuff?

Regarding stringers, instead of wood can I use the stuff they make park pic-nic tables out of? (pictured below) I see that Lowes has them and are lower priced. They will not rot and don't seem to warp.

My boat is a 1971 Glastron V-145. Hull is 65 inches at its widest and at its deepest point about 20 inches. How long can I leave the deck off the hull before it gets to the point where I can't bring it back into shape to get it back on?

It isn't warm enough outside to start glassing but I would like to start getting together the tools and equipment before it is.

Thanks in advance.:)

Attachments

• MVC-533F.JPG
    MVC-533F.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 0

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Check list for replacing floor, transome and stringers.

grinder w/ 30 grit sanding disc, sawzall, circular saw, i like the 18volt tools. shop vac, air compressor is nice. lots of tyvek suits, to keep dust off you. and blow the dust off frequently. big garbage bags. glasstron doesn't have a lot of foam in it. use exterior or marine grade plywood.. stuff you mentioned does not have the strength. i've lots count of how many i have done.

http://70silverline.250free.com/Skankybeast.html

http://www.shareaproject.com/pages/projectTut,p,346,00.html

Darren Nemeth

Chief Petty Officer

grinder w/ 30 grit sanding disc, sawzall, circular saw, i like the 18volt tools. shop vac, air compressor is nice. lots of tyvek suits, to keep dust off you. and blow the dust off frequently. big garbage bags. glasstron doesn't have a lot of foam in it. use exterior or marine grade plywood.. stuff you mentioned does not have the strength. i've lots count of how many i have done.

http://70silverline.250free.com/Skankybeast.html
http://www.shareaproject.com/pages/projectTut,p,346,00.html

Thanks for the info and links.

I'll start looking into it tomorrow.

What is the usual amount of fiberglassing epoxy needed for replacing the transom, floor and stringers on a 14 foot boat? That will probably be the largest expense.

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Add in a cartridge type dust mask, the surgeon type paper ones are useless.

Coors

Captain

search, and come back; the opinions never stop.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

GUYS...LOOK AT THE AVATAR...!!!!!

DARREN IS RESTORING THE BAT BOAT !

man... i been waiting for this....been pm ing darren for a little while now.....this is gonna be sooo cool !

ok.....wood.....several ways to go.....pressure treated plywood....ondarvr says older green wood stock....tashasdaddy says exterior grade ply.....either will work...both need to be dry....imho you dont meed marine.

john is doing a glasstron tri hull....simmelar to yours....(forgret the tri hull open bow part)......

you can follow his link here....
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=231007

mine has a lot of everything..stringers..transom..safety..glass...follow it here...
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=234392

darren, this link is currently the sites tutorial...its also a glasstron.
http://www.shareaproject.com/pages/projectTut,p,346,00.html....

there is another decision you will make soon...epoxy vs poly.....do a search on the subject.

hope that helps.......

cheers
oops

oops!

Supreme Mariner

sorry darren i didnt see the post about epoxy and glass.....

you will need enough to cover the transom a few times...and to do each stringer 3 times.
with epoxy you dont need matt.....however i would consider a fabric called biax.....its a cloth matt mix....1708....17 ozs of cloth and 8 oz of matt woven together....really strong and woven in such a way you wont need to alternate the layers...lay matt side first.....count on 10 galons of epoxy at least......$500 ish bucks.

erikg buys it off ebat by the box full...scraps....really cheap....i think he said $55 a box full...... my full roll was 525 dollars......(canadian)....

btw....if you ever decide you cannot finish the project for what ever reason.....ill buy the craft......i dont care if i have to drive across the world...!!!!

Darren Nemeth

Chief Petty Officer

sorry darren i didnt see the post about epoxy and glass.....

you will need enough to cover the transom a few times...and to do each stringer 3 times.
with epoxy you dont need matt.....however i would consider a fabric called biax.....its a cloth matt mix....1708....17 ozs of cloth and 8 oz of matt woven together....really strong and woven in such a way you wont need to alternate the layers...lay matt side first.....count on 10 galons of epoxy at least......$500 ish bucks.

erikg buys it off ebat by the box full...scraps....really cheap....i think he said $55 a box full...... my full roll was 525 dollars......(canadian)....

btw....if you ever decide you cannot finish the project for what ever reason.....ill buy the craft......i dont care if i have to drive across the world...!!!!

Thanks for the info.

This is not the original that was on the 1960s TV show or movie. It was a display boat made for conventions and comic book shows. Recent vintage.

Adam West, Burt Ward, Julie Newmar and Yvonne Craig have seen it, however. Yvonne autographed it.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

close enough !

fantastic project !

i386

Captain

I'll be watching this one for sure. Best of luck to you!:)

Darren Nemeth

Chief Petty Officer

I went to Lowes yesterday to look at grinders, air compressors and routers.

I guess what I am using it for is light duty. They will not be used often.

In your opinions, which brands should I look at and stay away from?

I want to get tools that will last me a while but they will not get used often.

Thanks.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Thanks.

heh heh heh.....get real comfortable with your grinder bud....

boats eat grinders.....ive done well over 100 hours grinding....and ive still got more to do.....

two schools of thought......buy once....makita or dewalt.....4/2 inch.

chances are one is going to die....but you have warrantee.....

or you can buy the cheepst one you can find...under 30 bucks...and just keep returning it for an new one.....

picgroup4026.jpg

that one had 30 hrs on it....

you will need some flapper discs....get 30 grit...i found a screeming 24 grit for resin....(last one the store had...havent seen any more)

as far as the compressor... i just bought a chinese import....75 bucks.... big tank (auction)...works great......

and i have a b&d rotary saw....

you will also need a resperator....(dual cartridge) get a good one....eye protestion....long sleeved shirts and underwear.....tyvec suit...and good gloves.......a set of good knee pads is manditory

cheers
oops

i386

Captain

Thanks.

Craigslist.org has good used tools listed all the time. Also, pawn shops tend to carry a lot of tools. Be prepared to haggle prices at pawn shops or you could end up paying too much.

I do not own an air compressor and though I'd like to have one I can get by without it. I did purchase an air tank and made up a hose that I can swap attachments with a quick disconnect. This won't run air tools, but it's good for keeping tires full and blowing dust off mt clothes and tools.

I have a Rotozip that I use as a sander and with cutoff wheels. I also have a cheap grinder I bought at Big Lots. It came with a bunch of grinding wheels and an extra set of brushes for the motor. It works but vibrates like hell.

I have a couple of 14V cordless DeWalt drills and a corded Makita drill that I dug out of a dumpster at work. It works like a champ.

My jig saw is a $30 B&D. It works fine. My Skill saw is about 15 years old and it works good too.

My point is if you're patient, you can get the tools you need to work on your boat for a lot less money than going and buying new stuff. Sure there a few new tools I'd like to have, but there's no reason at all I can't complete the project I'm on using what I have.

Once you have enough tools to handle a variety of jobs you'll find yourself replacing them with the good stuff over the years.

Don't confuse me with the guy that fills his shed with cheap crap tools. I'm not that guy. I understand the vaule of good tools. But you can find a balance.

erikgreen

Captain

I have a couple tools I've bought at Home Depot or Menards, but most of my grinders, my rotozip, my air tools, my recip saw, and my drills I got at Harbor freight.

Some folks are stuck in the 70s and won't buy "that chinese crap" because they only "buy american" and totally miss the fact that very few of the tools for sale in the big stores are made in america these days.

The HF tools are on a par with the "store brand" Menards or Lowes tools, and some models are better than others. But frankly I'm hard on tools when I'm working on the boat... fiberglass dust will kill many a tool. I'd rather not feel bad about wrecking a $40 grinder when I can get one that'll last almost as long for $15 on sale there.

I do buy some tools elsewhere... my air compressor, my circular saw... tools that are slightly more complex and/or require just a bit better quality for comfort.

But for something like a socket set I use once a year to take my bell housing off, HF has let me save money to spend elsewhere.

Erik

Darren Nemeth

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for all the help. The Michigan weather is getting warmer out and I am taking notes on this thread to get ready to work on the boat.

Will be shoping around for the tools and later the epoxy and cloth.

BTW, Tyvek suits can be found at www.uline.com at quanitiy prices.

Coors

Captain

A guy at work told me, buy harbor freight, get the $20 warranty, and bring it in dead after 6 months of abuse-new one free. And this is a commercial mason-a lot of abuse on that tool! And it out-worked my company expensive Bosch, that I was given.

Darren Nemeth

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks, everyone for all the advice.

I just started dismantling the boat and it looks like I will have to buy the tools as needed. I have to pick my days to work on it.

The next thing I need to do is to take out the original floor, which is rotted all the way through. Which tool would I need for that? The Sawzall? I already have a shopvac.

BTW, I was prying off the rotten plywood with a hammer claw that was wood-screwed to the original floor and accidently put a couple indents in the hull that can be seen from the outside! Should I worry about this or will it be okay? There is no hole.

Coors

Captain

Thanks.

the guy that installs my hardware ( commercial doors and locksets), swears by Rigid 18 volt, from home depot- he buys the lifetime warranty. for $30 or something. Done deal, no questions when you bring it back.

Darren Nemeth

Chief Petty Officer

the guy that installs my hardware ( commercial doors and locksets), swears by Rigid 18 volt, from home depot- he buys the lifetime warranty. for $30 or something. Done deal, no questions when you bring it back.

Thanks. Will do. :D

I got back from the department store where there were 2 HP 1 Gallon air compressors marked down. Regular price was $200+ and clearance is $80.

I will need an air compressor for painting, blowing dust and air tools for the boat. Is a one gallon compressor suitable for all of these uses?

This is the one that's on sale. Is this good or junk?
1212698665.2744.jpg