Thermostat or impeller?

SpamPutney

Seaman Apprentice
Just started my 70hp Johnson outboard after 3 years sitting idle. Started right up, but I notcied right away that there was no water peeing out of the tell-tale. As it has been a fewe years, I can't remember if it is supposed to happen right away, or after a few minutes of warm-up. I am afraid to let it idle too long, thus overhgeating. Thre are no gauges or warning buzzers/lights. There IS warm water coming out of two holes on the upper part of the lower unit.

Paddling

Seaman
Re: Thermostat or impeller?

Make sure some dirt dauber hasn't nested in the tell-tale tube. That happens here in Fl about once a year.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: Thermostat or impeller?

Paddling is soooo right on. I had one of them daubers build a condo in my intake,and I completely tore down and rebuilt the L/U before finding it.....PI**ED ME OFF!!!<br />But your impeller may be worn and still operating. The warm water is a good sign,the impelller is functioning. But if it has been two or more years since the impeller has been changed, I would change it because it is due. They are rubber,and will dry-rot in the housing. Also replace the T-stat (only about 9buks at the most expensive shops).It's not as daunting to install as it appears (impeller).They are just so "internal". I would get the manual,and put one in.<br /> <br /><br />------------------<br />the Early bird get's the worm...So, he don't have to stop for bait.