Thermostat Cooling Mod question

Jayrock

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1992 Evinrude crankcase All else 1996 200

I have decided to follow the advice of many here to dump the existing bypass cover and springs, and use the 1989 70hp covers and springs. I have all the parts. Upon installation, I notice that new softer spring does not engage the thermostat like the older harder spring. It Is a little wider. The new spring still holds the thermostat in place, but Im not sure that this is exactly the way it should be. Should I be using a different thermostat assembly? I know the Vernatherm is junk. Is there a different thermostat I should be using? Thanks all, Jason

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: Thermostat Cooling Mod question

Are you running the 1996 heads as t-stat,cover and t-stat seat is totally different. If they are 96 head they will have to have the old seats and "pepper shaker" t-stats. Also use the 70hp gasket as you cannot use existing one.

Jayrock

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That makes sense. "Pepper shaker" t-Stats? What year did those come on, or do you have a part nuimber for those parts. I have the cover, gaskets and springs. Just need the proper T-Stats and seats now...

Jayrock

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That makes sense. "Pepper shaker" t-Stats? What year did those come on, or do you have a part nuimber for those parts. I have the cover, gaskets and springs. Just need the proper T-Stats and seats now...

I found the relevant information. The updated part number for the new black "Pepper Shaker" T-Stats is 0434137
associated Valve seat cup 0330273
associated valve seat 0320880

I added the info in case anyone searched this topic and needed the numbers. I hate all the dead end threads that come up in searches. Thanks again, Jason