The worst joke OMC ever provided...

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: The worst joke OMC ever provided...

I went to an Offshore race one time by water and met a buddy there. We both had boats with 3.6 V8's. His starter died and he started his with a rope. I figured it was easier to start mine, take the starter off and use it on his. Nope, he roped his. 3 times that day. And his was on one of the old tube type Gil bracket.<br /><br />What I bet nobody has done is rope start a 60 degree V4 or V6.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Papasage.<br /><br />That is a really dangerous thing to try. I hope nobody gets the idea to try it.<br /><br />I notice that the link in your signature is an advertisement, which is not allowed. Please remove it.<br /><br />Thanks. :)

papasage

Senior Chief Petty Officer

sorry didnt do it for advertisment . dont do work no where but aeround here .i stay to buisey to advertise <br /> will remove it

gibletts

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My next door neighbour used to start (on driveway) his 25hp with an electric drill and socket on the flywheel retaining nut. Started it up no problem but more often than not the socket would stick on the nut... you just had to stand back and take cover untill it freed itself.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, papasage. :)

reeldutch

Lieutenant

when my 15 horse is warmed up i can start it with putting my hands flat on the flywheel ant turn it quick.<br />i can demonstrated.<br /><br />reeldutch<br /><br />didnt try it on a 4 cylinder hahaha

funpilot

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's only a 90hp, but I can start mine basically Joe Reeves' way. Usually after the little courtesy light near the open bow gets left on...<br /><br />funpilot

ledgefinder

Ensign

I think the 'tower of power' 6-banger Mercs came by default with recoil rope starters. I know the mid-60s Merc 65hp 4cylinder did. You had to pay extra for the electric start - assuming you were ***** enough to need it.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

once warm my old 1500 merc would startby turning on the key, bringit upon a compression strok and with both palms give it a flip. would light right off. I dont think I could have pulled long enough todoit cold :) :) . whats really funny is OMC made a rope start kit that bolted on the flywheel of the 90* v-4 and v6 loopers for emergency rope starts and the 250 efi yams came with an emergency start cord :) .

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

I have also read but never tried pulling a spark plug before trying to rope start - eases up on the compression. When it starts & warms up a bit put the plug back in.

Chesapeake Explorer

Seaman Apprentice

About 7 years ago I went to the Wye River in Md to crab. Had Left the radio on and the batterys were weak. So I pulled two spark plugs lessing the compression pulled the engine with my emergency pull rope and wood handle I had rigged up and got it started. Then put the other two plugs in with the engine running! 90 Hp Evinrude V4. I tried and could not pull it through with all 4 plugs in.

Andrec4016

Seaman

I just picked up me Manatee with a V4 140 HP and was looking under the cowl of the engine and had a good laugh when I saw the pull cord, My next thought was what if the little pouch got loose and got into the flywheel then I cried :eek: :eek:

G DANE

Commander

If its difficult and you have a helper, its easyer to wind two ropes and pull from each side by two handles.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Originally posted by reeldutch:<br /> when my 15 horse is warmed up i can start it with putting my hands flat on the flywheel ant turn it quick.<br />i can demonstrated.
Jeeezz, showing off is not bright. What if you slipped just as it fired, and you stuck your face into the rotating flywheel?

angus63

Captain

"What I bet nobody has done is rope start a 60 degree V4 or V6."<br />Dhadly, why is that out of curiousity????

D

DJ

The reason those ropes are so short is that you only need one wrap, as Joe Reeves suggests.<br /><br />Another reason they are short is because a rope still attached a flywheel on a running engine is VERY dangerous. Less rope, less chance of it remaining on the flywheel.

Walker

Captain

Angus, I don't believe 60 degree V4's and V6's have any "groove for a starter rope on the flywheel. The flywheels are covered by a shield too.

angus63

Captain

I went back and looked at a cutaway of the 60° loopers. Flywheel is kinda buried and also has the shape of a UFO. I guess I'd drift to the Flemish Cap before I pull started my 1995 175HP 60° looper!!!