The Waiting is the Hardest Part...

sopwithcamel74

Petty Officer 1st Class
The weather is definitely improving, and the extended daylight is extremely helpful!
Bring on the sun and warmth!
I was going to build a gantry so to speak but ended up with a 1/4 ton come-a-long and some 4x4's in the garage which I barely had enough height to do what I had to do.
I only wish I had had an engine hoist!
Had I had enough extra lumber on hand I'd have likely tried to rig something, so long as I felt it was sturdy enough.

I have a lot of 5/16 plywood, a few 2x4x8 studs, and a few 2x6x8 pressure treated. Unfortunately, it's all spoken for as it relates to around-the-house projects already in progress.

The engine stand arrived a couple hours ago - that was way quicker than I expected, as it only shipped yesterday. The hoist also shipped yesterday but from a different warehouse and via a different carrier, but it's now showing as only being a state away, so it's close.

If this nice weather holds and work's not a bear, there's a chance I might get the engine pulled sometime Monday. A bit optimistic, but we'll see.

sopwithcamel74

Petty Officer 1st Class
Progress, yes. A few complications, but still pushing forward.

Engine stand is assembled. I got the hoist in a couple days ago; hoping to have it assembled this weekend.

I've got a few more things to sort as well. One involves moving a project vehicle that might or might not need to be towed out of the way. If push comes to shove, I'll recruit a few able bodies to literally push and shove it out of the way.

I also been talking to a guy that's parting out an '88 1750. Supposedly the tank is still intact; he's going to get it out and send me pics, and we've tentatively agreed on a price.

The pile of random bits and bops is also growing. Marine amp and sub... A few new tools... Some components for the inevitable re-wiring effort... A replacement for the missing starboard-side window vent... Miscellaneous trailer hardware.

Nothing has felt worth mentioning until the engine is off the boat and on the stand, and I can complete the gutting of the hull. Once I do that, I feel it's all systems go, with the only limiting factor being the weather.

88 Capri (2022 SOTY)

Senior Chief Petty Officer
You are making progress, parts sourcing 😊. That parts boat is the same model as I have, and I'm assuming an outboard model, but if not, the fitting orientation will be like the picture I posted a while back.
I'm always searching the web for parts, if for the only reason is a source of them should a need arise.

sopwithcamel74

Petty Officer 1st Class
I really wasn't going to post anything negative at all about my experiences from this past week. As it is, I'm going to say something, in the event that it might help someone else down the road.

I encountered nothing but problems with both my engine stand and engine hoist. They'll serve their intended purposes, I think. But man - what utter garbage.

Misaligned bolt holes... Holes drilled in the correct location but on the wrong face of the steel tubing... Parts that were supposed to be fully assembled that were not... Missing hardware... No instructions... And possibly the worst customer service in the history of customer service.

Lesson learned; saving a few bucks ain't always what it's cracked up to be. I should be an expert on that subject by now, but here we are.

Probably still a day or two out to get the last bits of what I need in order to have the hoist functioning. Hopefully these good weather patterns hold up and I can get things going at their proper speed again. I'm getting antsy.

88 Capri (2022 SOTY)

Lesson learned; saving a few bucks ain't always what it's cracked up to be. I should be an expert on that subject by now, but here we are.

Probably still a day or two out to get the last bits of what I need in order to have the hoist functioning. Hopefully these good weather patterns hold up and I can get things going at their proper speed again. I'm getting antsy.

1988 Bayliner Capri 1700

It never hurts to try! I also have a request......please send the nice weather this way please! 😊

88 Capri (2022 SOTY)

How are you doing @sopwithcamel74? Making any progress?
My wife just gave me a honey-do-list which puts the boat on hold and made me realize I haven't heard from you about any progress on your project.
Hope all is well.

sopwithcamel74

Petty Officer 1st Class
How are you doing @sopwithcamel74? Making any progress?
My wife just gave me a honey-do-list which puts the boat on hold and made me realize I haven't heard from you about any progress on your project.
Hope all is well.

Short version: I almost called it a day.

Less short version: Had some things come up in my life that forced me to reprioritize things somewhat significantly; I've put the project on ice, and came dangerously close to selling everything.

At current: still at a bit of a cross roads, and I've been regrouping. Took a big step back from obsessing over this project to divert time/energy to a few other things, and have more or less tried to clear it from my mind for a few months.

I've got some stuff to sort out still. But I'm pretty confident that I'll be back at it before summer's end.

sopwithcamel74

Petty Officer 1st Class
Going to work on a few around-the-house projects over the course of this long weekend. Don't have hard date as to when I'll get back underway, but I can feel it getting closer.

Found this guy on eBay - should be here in a few days. I already have both the shop and operators manuals - even though you can look up all the parts online, there's nothing like having a hard copy to reference when the situation arises.

Screenshot_1.png

The engine hoist and outboard stand have been collecting cobwebs, waiting on me to get my crap together. Every day I look at them, unused, and it's like getting a kick in the pants telling me to get things moving again.

20220701_135829.jpg

20220701_140037.jpg

Happy 4th everyone. Hoping those of you who are water borne post plenty of picks for us land lovers in the coming days.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Going to work on a few around-the-house projects over the course of this long weekend. Don't have hard date as to when I'll get back underway, but I can feel it getting closer.

Found this guy on eBay - should be here in a few days. I already have both the shop and operators manuals - even though you can look up all the parts online, there's nothing like having a hard copy to reference when the situation arises.

View attachment 364481

The engine hoist and outboard stand have been collecting cobwebs, waiting on me to get my crap together. Every day I look at them, unused, and it's like getting a kick in the pants telling me to get things moving again.

View attachment 364479

View attachment 364480

Happy 4th everyone. Hoping those of you who are water borne post plenty of picks for us land lovers in the coming days.
Back at you Sop! Getting to it is doing, doing is doing. One day at a time says I!
Happy 4th to you and yours. Big smile.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
It's taken a bit longer than expected to get back around to the boat, but I'm almost there.

This year has been wild. That's all I'm gonna say about that. Here's to persisting through the rough patches and figuring out a way to make things work out for you in the longer term.
Glad to hear your back at it….sometimes you gotta sit back and relish the journey.