the truth about noodles

Status
Not open for further replies.

motorpsykler

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: the truth about noodles

1 cubic foot of foam will float 62 lbs +/-

Exactly, all three foams here are closed cell and weigh virtually the same, so all that matters is how much you use. The goal is just to displace as much water as possible while adding the minimum amount of weight.

timfives

Petty Officer 1st Class

Not so....... flotation foam is really really close in buoyancy.

1 cubic foot of pool noodle foam will float the same amount as 1 cu ft of 2 part or 1 cu ft of pink or blue hardware store stuff.

There is a slight variance in the weight of the cubic foot. If 1 cubic foot weighs 1 lb (just as an example) it would float 61 lbs of weight and if it weighed 10 lbs it would float 51 lbs of weight. (the weight of the foam is subtracted)

Pool noodles would have to be figured in cubic inches to figure out the amount of foam remember to subtract if the noodle is hollow ;) So how many pool noodles equal 1728 cubic inches.

1 cubic foot of dry wood will float the same amount of foam but you would still have to subtract the weight........

Bob_VT

I agree with you, and my question was about the foam from Lowes or HD, the pink and blue stuff. Since i don't know much about that stuff, i was hoping that would do 62lbs a cubic foot.

i'm Not comparing that to the pool noodle.. your right you'd have to compare the floatation factor which you accurately described as the 1 cubic foot of pool noodle to the cubic foot of foam, which for the pool noodle is obviously less. I wasn't trying to convince people otherwise, just giving a method for figuring out how many noodles you would need if you choose to use them. Fact vs. conjecture

t

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

The answer is "displacement" and that is why it is done in cubic inches..... it is a volume thing.

Now all dollar store pool noodles do not have the same design..... some are star shaped, some solid, and some have a hole in the middle tube shaped...... that is a dilemma ;) a person should be able to figure out the proper cubic inches for the correct calculations.

tallcanadian

Captain

There was a young man from York,
Who wanted his boat to float like a cork,
All day he did doodle
About floating a noodle,
But found out he didn't have enough so he scrapped the idea and bought pink foam sheets.

:)

Bob_VT

Staff member

Clever ;)

timfives

Petty Officer 1st Class

Not so....... flotation foam is really really close in buoyancy.

1 cubic foot of pool noodle foam will float the same amount as 1 cu ft of 2 part or 1 cu ft of pink or blue hardware store stuff.

There is a slight variance in the weight of the cubic foot. If 1 cubic foot weighs 1 lb (just as an example) it would float 61 lbs of weight and if it weighed 10 lbs it would float 51 lbs of weight. (the weight of the foam is subtracted)

Pool noodles would have to be figured in cubic inches to figure out the amount of foam remember to subtract if the noodle is hollow ;) So how many pool noodles equal 1728 cubic inches.

1 cubic foot of dry wood will float the same amount of foam but you would still have to subtract the weight........

Okay, So since everyone wants to compare apples to apples, and didn't want to realize that x feet of a pool noodle will float x pounds, i've taken it upon myself to convert my little experiment into cubic feet so that we can see how it stacks up.

Here are the steps
1 Calculate the Volume of the pool noodle
2 Subtract the the volume from the hole in the middle
3 Convert my sample to cubic feet
4 calculate how much it would float

so here we go

Step 1
Volume of a cylinder is pi * (r^2) * height

everything for this portion is in inches

3.14 *(1.25)^2 * 12 inches = 58.8 inches^3

Calculate the volume of the void

3.14*(.375)^2*12
5.29 inches ^3

Step 2
total Volume = 58.8 - 5.29 = 53.5 inches ^3

Step 3

Convert to cubic feet

53.5 inches^3 * .0005787 = .0305 feet^3

step 4

Calculate how much 1 cubic foot of pool noodle will float

Based on my experiment .0305 feet^3 will float 2.16lbs

or 2.16lbs / .0305 feet^3 = 70.81 lbs /feet^3

Interesting that this is exceptionally close to the 64 lbs / feet^3 that was stated in the post for floatation foam..

So i suppose that gives us all something to noodle on ;)

timfives

Petty Officer 1st Class

The only caveat is that the selection and variety of available pool noodles ..... sizes and shapes.

I am lucky and there is a company called Pregis not too far from me and take a look at this product called poly plank http://www.pregis.com/PregisHome/ProtectivePackaging/PlankFoam/tabid/110/language/en-US/default.aspx

Bob_VT Agreed, you'd need to do this for a specific noodle, as the size shape and density of pool noodles are not uniform.

T

bananaboater

Ensign

All day he did doodle
About floating a noodle,
But found out he didn't have enough so he scrapped the idea and bought pink foam sheets.

Loved it :D

timfives

Petty Officer 1st Class

All day he did doodle
About floating a noodle,

very nice indeed. This reminds me of the poet that is on the deadliest catch. I think i'll put this in my signature!

T

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

I use pool noodles for many things, but not often in the pool.

I was cleaning up some stuff the other day and there was a pool noodle in a folded up pool cover that been wet for a year or so. The pool noodle was waterlogged and came apart easily, you could sick your finger right into it.

I'm not saying every brand of noodle will do this, but this one did.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

The whole idea of using a "loose fill" type foam like noodles, foam boards, small balls, or soda bottles scares me. Because in a catastrophic event, where the hull breaks up, the noodles or foam boards, etc, can just float away, letting the vessel sink.

Pour in flotation foam not only will not come out, it add substantial strength to the structure. So if you were unlucky enough to be broadsided by a bunch of drunks in a cigarette boat at WOT during the night, cutting your vessel in half, you will have two pieces of boat floating on the top, rather than a bunch of noodles floating, and the vessel sinking.

If its worth doing, its worth doing right. ;)

redfury

Commander

absolutely a poignant point you got there Mark. Unless of course, if you are in deep enough water and don't want the boat back, then you get flotation foam to grab onto and get rid of the boat/evidence all in one. :p

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Unfortunately we have found a lot of evidence that poured in foam is not right for an aluminum boat. It seems to cause corrosion. And any method used to keep it from touching the metal would most likely also serve to make the foam more "modular" so you'd be right back the same as noodles or sheet foam.

Bob_VT

Staff member

The whole idea of using a "loose fill" type foam like noodles, foam boards, small balls, or soda bottles scares me. Because in a catastrophic event, where the hull breaks up, the noodles or foam boards, etc, can just float away, letting the vessel sink.

Pour in flotation foam not only will not come out, it add substantial strength to the structure. So if you were unlucky enough to be broadsided by a bunch of drunks in a cigarette boat at WOT during the night, cutting your vessel in half, you will have two pieces of boat floating on the top, rather than a bunch of noodles floating, and the vessel sinking.

I would not say it adds strength at all (re: http://www.jamestowndistributors.co...05&title=Tips+for+using+2+Part+Urethane+Foam+) but, I will agree it may stay in place or at least stay with the pieces left from a collision. Getting broadsided at anytime of the day by any other boat can not be good.

jspano

Senior Chief Petty Officer

it is for this reason :p, i am thinking about lashing my noodles together in 4 groups(since this is the most # of people on board while fishing) this way when a drug smuggling cigrette boat exits a hidden cove and chops my boat in half :eek:. we can each grab a group of noodles and float to safety ;).

or i could just move out of their way :)

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I would not say it adds strength at all (re: http://www.jamestowndistributors.co...05&title=Tips+for+using+2+Part+Urethane+Foam+) but, I will agree it may stay in place or at least stay with the pieces left from a collision. Getting broadsided at anytime of the day by any other boat can not be good.

Hey Bob!

Well, I'm going to have to both agree and disagree with you on that one. The foam they are selling, is a low density foam, and probably is not strong, but once it fills a cavity, the overall structure is stronger. Foam is available in multiple densities, and the 4 lbs urethane foam is a high strength foam that is a structural foam, like when used for docks and such. Also, boats like the Boston Whaler line, where the hull is nearly solid foam, get a majority of their strength from the foam.

Remember in the 60's and 70's there were numerous boats that had no stringers at all, just solid foam in a fiberglass hull. They were made by Chrysler and others. Had they been using urethane foam and not poly foam (because of water absorption over time), many of those boats would still be around today.

So, yes, the 1 or 2 lbs foam is good for flotation, but the 4 lb flotation foam will add considerable strength too.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

it is for this reason :p, i am thinking about lashing my noodles together in 4 groups(since this is the most # of people on board while fishing) this way when a drug smuggling cigrette boat exits a hidden cove and chops my boat in half :eek:. we can each grab a group of noodles and float to safety ;).

or i could just move out of their way :)

I think that PFD's may be the best option for you. Much more practical than lashed noodles. :D

sprintst

Commander

When it comes to survival most people would be grabbing for anything that floats in a bad situation. I'd even lash some fatties together to make a raft if I had to.

Sorry officer I panicked. Didn't realize the water was only three feet deep :)

jspano

Senior Chief Petty Officer

i really think there is a place for each. if i had a fiberglass boat that the hull area was water tight i would use 2 part marine foam. but after i see what it does to an alum hull(expands to the point that the water is impeded from draining back) i think loose fitting foam is exceptable.
so to put it very plainly...

whatever floats your boat!!!

couldn't resist been waiting to insert that in this post

Status
Not open for further replies.