The Old Holiday

chrishayes

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: The Old Holiday

I hear ya on the Christmas, I love it too, although my wife gets a little frustrated when she sees the brown van rolling up the drive:D

Everyday I come home from work as I am driving up my looooooooong driveway I get that waiting for mom and dad to wake up on xmas morning feeling until I can finally see the doorstep! I do this even when I have nothings supposed to be coming:D

61 Holiday

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Everyday I come home from work as I am driving up my looooooooong driveway I get that waiting for mom and dad to wake up on xmas morning feeling until I can finally see the doorstep! I do this even when I have nothings supposed to be coming

...I love that feeling, but I also know the mailman is bringing the bill next!
Just a couple more items coming though as I've been collecting things before I was able to really get into it with all the rain we've had...

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Looking good. Have you done the transom, too? What kind of power are you going to put on the transom?

61 Holiday

Petty Officer 2nd Class

...I had helped my dad do the transom back in 1989 with solid mahogany and there's a leftover 1988 70 hp Mercury on it. In addition to the actual transom between it and the motor is a 3/4" thick piece of white oak I believe. The combination is very tight and in excellent condition.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

I hear ya on the Christmas, I love it too, although my wife gets a little frustrated when she sees the brown van rolling up the drive:D

Santa Brown didnt show up today..Here I thought I'd come home to a brand new steering wheel..but nooooooooooooooo...why daddy why daddy? All I asked for was my wheel..I was good too!:mad:

61 Holiday

Petty Officer 2nd Class

...Did Santa ever bring that wheel to you Kev? I had been in Baltimore for the past eight days or so and on my return it would appear the jolly old elf had dropped off some gifts here.:D Unfortunately, along with the "gifts" came the bill!:(
I have a lot of catching up to do and hopefully I can get back to work on it either this Saturday or Sunday.
Have fun and be careful,
John

Rickairmedic

Commander

John Santa hadnt shown up before kev had to go out of town this week and he hasnt mentioned wether or not his SWMBO said it was there or not :D.

Rick

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

He did!
Just I have been in North Carolina..In fact sitting at my gate now...can't wait to have tomorrow & Sunday to get something DONE!!!

Rickairmedic

Commander

John while I got ya here :D. Make sure to check out the Starcraft forum on here we are trying to put together a Starcraft get together for next summer.

Rick

61 Holiday

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Congratulations Kev! Have fun opening everything. I got a bunch of the things I thought would really dress the old boat up. So far I ended up getting my Airguide Speedo, an Airguide Compass, an Airguide 7000 rpm tachometer, an Airguide barometer, an old Mercury trim gauge, an old set of Spartan horns, and an old pair of Perko spotlights. The gauges match what was there as do the horns. I also got an old Mercury Ride Guide/Quicksilver steering wheel. I am going to try and swap the gear rack over to the existing cable. Looking at it quickly, I think it should work. I'm going to paint it the same color as the hull which will be Interlux off white. I'll have to figure out a couple of other things, but I can see it coming together already and it couldn't come too soon.

Rick, I'll be sure to look into the get together. It sounds interesting. It's funny because I used to keep an eye out for older boats in my travels, but now I think I have limited my "wondering eyes" to the old Starcraft aluminums. They have some really nice lines to them and from my experience, the sure seem to hold up well.
Anyway, I'll keep you posted with pictures as soon as I get more.
John

61 Holiday

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Let' try this again. I had a whole bunch of things ready to go but I evidently did something wrong. I went to preview my post and the site said I had to log in. I already had. When I went back I had lost all of the post. If any of that makes sense.
Here go's.
Okay I was able to strip some of the paint on the hull and the stern. It was actually in very good shape so there was very effort on my part. I did sand the whole thing though after cleaning it. I sanded with 220 grit. I then wiped it down with paint thinner. Next I used some NAPA zinc chromate primer. About one and one half rattle cans.
P1010062.jpg
[/IMG]

61 Holiday

Petty Officer 2nd Class

...I was able to lift the boat off the trailer with a floor jack and the trailer itself. I then put some small pieces of wood on two jack stands for the stern. The bow was held up by a four by four on top of jack stands. All in all it worked out very well.
P1010064.jpg

The stern was easiest to work on and the paint stripped off easily.
P1010057.jpg

As I did with the rest of the bare spots, I primed with a very light coat.
P1010060.jpg

I think it came out well.
P1010058.jpg

I used Interlux Off White paint for the whole hull. It took a little over two quarts with three coats. I applied it with a four inch foam roller. No real need to tip it actually.
P1010069.jpg

P1010065.jpg

I think it already looks like a different boat...

61 Holiday

Petty Officer 2nd Class

... I was able to sand the motor cover and repaint it with Phantom Black. I clear coated it with Rustoleum and again, not too shabby. I did get some decals for it from a gentleman in Canada for a very reasonable price. I also got the pebble finish decal from a guy in the states, not such a reasonable pricebut I did need it. Those will go on soon.
P1010061.jpg

...next I was able to paint most of the inside of the hull with a Valspar texture paint. The name escapes me right now, but I can get it. I didn't want to try and duplicate the spatter paint,so I used this stuff. It does have a texture to it like the original spatter paint.
P1010042.jpg

...here'sanother shot...
P1010043.jpg

...I also got a lot done on the dashboard. I do have a pitcure of it with just sealer on it, but it now has ten coats of spar varnish and it looks terrific.
I'll get some pics of that too.
P1010039.jpg

Tomorrow I'll try to have morepics.
Be careful,
John

chrishayes

... I was able to sand the motor cover and repaint it with Phantom Black. I clear coated it with Rustoleum and again, not too shabby. I did get some decals for it from a gentleman in Canada for a very reasonable price. I also got the pebble finish decal from a guy in the states, not such a reasonable pricebut I did need it. Those will go on soon.
P1010061.jpg

...next I was able to paint most of the inside of the hull with a Valspar texture paint. The name escapes me right now, but I can get it. I didn't want to try and duplicate the spatter paint,so I used this stuff. It does have a texture to it like the original spatter paint.
P1010042.jpg

...here'sanother shot...
P1010043.jpg

...I also got a lot done on the dashboard. I do have a pitcure of it with just sealer on it, but it now has ten coats of spar varnish and it looks terrific.
I'll get some pics of that too.
P1010039.jpg

Tomorrow I'll try to have morepics.
Be careful,
John

I am always amazed at what a difference a few coats of paint makes on a boat! That thing went from a zero to a hero in one post. It was like magic! Looks awesome man. Where did you get your decals at for your motor? I have a blue band merc and a few cans of phantom black as well but I was planning to tape off the decals since I cant find them anywhere. I would love to use new old ones cause they are faded of course after 35+ years.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Looks absolutely fantastic!
GREAT job on the paint..Those little foam rollers really do the job..
Some are all about the Roll & Tip..But us tinnies can Roll & Roll!!!

Love the interior paint..looks like it rolled outta the factory this morning!!!

chrishayes

Looks absolutely fantastic!
GREAT job on the paint..Those little foam rollers really do the job..
Some are all about the Roll & Tip..But us tinnies can Roll & Roll!!!

Love the interior paint..looks like it rolled outta the factory this morning!!!

WHAT HE SAID!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rickairmedic

Commander

Looking good John I wish it would quit raining for a day so I could finish painting mine :D.

Rick

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

Amazing job on the paint and deck! I agree witht he previous posts.. a good paint job makes all the difference. You really jumped ahead in the past few days. Way to go.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Excellent work. I especially like the interior paint.

61 Holiday

Petty Officer 2nd Class

...thanks Chris. I don't know if I am breaking any rules here, but the name of the place is autographics ltd. I found them on Ebay and they match up quite well with the originals. The textured ones came from a guy in Worcester mass. Doug Russell marine also on Ebay.